Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power should tom's stage 1 kit in a stock SVT focus make at the wheels @ 11 psi?

by stock i mean exhaust, no internals, etc .. just tuning

i can't seem to find any posts about it by searching ...

·
Banned
613 Posts
255-270 would be my guess??

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
you be pushing it at 11psi being that it's not intercooled. I think 8-10psi max would be the max you could safley do. 8-10psi should get you andwhare from 200-220whp and about the same torque.

Scott

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You could always go over to the "other" Focus website and ask him, or just give him a call monday at the shop.....

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
You could always go over to the "other" Focus website and ask him
And he'll lie through his teeth to sell you on it.

Ask him his definition of "pump gas" sometime. You might be surprised to find out that he believes it to be anything that can be pumped... as opposed to what most of us think... which is gasoline that is readily available on the corner.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
What percentage of gas stations scott?

Come on man... I mean we all know you've drank the Tom-Aid... but step back for a moment and realize that advertising numbers as being "pump-gas" when they're acutally on 100 or 110 octane is straight up false advertising.

Pump-gas, as commonly defined in the automotive and/or racing world (including drag boats and motorcycle racing) limits to 93/94 octane. The NHRA limits it to 94 octane in their "pump-gas" classes... is that not a good enough definition?

And if Sunoco race gas is so readily available... why does their website say its "available at selected Sunoco Stations?"

http://www.racegas.com/qanda.asp

And in fact.. Sunoco's website only lists 9 dealers in North Carolina that carry 100 Octane.
http://www.racegas.com/gt100locals/gt_100_locations_ALL.asp

A quick review of all states shows only about 100 acutal service stations in the US that carry the race gas... a lot of "dealers" that probably sell drums... and there were several "motorsports parks" and raceways listed in there too.....

Yup... 100 octane is real easy to come by.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
My point: Tom has been caught red handed several times here on [FJ] (probably before you were around) passing off dyno sheets on "pump-gas" to find out later that it was 100+ (IIRC there was even a 110 octane time).

And yes... there are several stations here in SoCal that carry 100 octane at the pump. In fact, when I go race I fill up 5gals to take to the track cuz its usually cheaper than @ the track ($4.50/gal vs $6.50/gal @ California Speedway). But again, deferring to the NHRA's "pump gas" standard... 94 octane max.

I can get Leaded 115 Octane out of a pump @ Cali Speedway...

does that make it "pump gas?"

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
We made my numbers on pump gas...... Exxon 93. I saw some 110 at a Citgo station when I was down there, must be nice.

What pissed me off was exxon 93 was $2.75 a gallon and Citgo 110 was only $3.75..... thats just not right

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
His kit will make 200 hp octane without a problem. I would give him a call he is the best boosted tuner out there. He has tuned more combinations than anyone with different grades of gas. Don't listen to some of the wannabe's go to the source.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You could always go over to the "other" Focus website and ask him
And he'll lie through his teeth to sell you on it.

Ask him his definition of "pump gas" sometime. You might be surprised to find out that he believes it to be anything that can be pumped... as opposed to what most of us think... which is gasoline that is readily available on the corner.

We all know why you get your "bastard" under your screenname. Your theroy on Sunoco only having 9 dealers in NC is crap, aw we Have 4 in my small town of 16000 people. And its 112 octane. On some of TOMs higher output cars sure hes used race gas, but has he ever denied it? No. He can call "pump gas" whatever he wants. I bet you if you ask him about any dyno floating around here he'll be glad to tell you what octane he used without question. And if for some reason he did use some 100 or 110 you guys would be all over him like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat. Tom can tune for any octane, but it all boils down to the customers wants and needs. So get over it you "pompous opinioated bastard"

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Todd it's VERY unprofessional of you to make such unsubstantiated claims. If you want to slander someone that has played a large part in the Focus community, BACK UP YOUR ASSERTIONS OR STFU.
I have backed up the assertions... I went on the damn Sunoco website and found their numbers. If you can find hard evidence to the contrary, by all means. I don't have Sunoco in Cali, so I can't wander to my local Sunoco station and check what they've got on their pump.

Can you?

As for unprofessional? Who said I'm trying to be professional in the first place.

And Tom... quit emailing me. You've lied to this community about enough for long enough... you've lied about your buisness dealings, I'm sure you owe plenty of people money still for parts that you've promised to replace/refund and havent. Your emails are a waste of my time, and your email address now forwards directly to the junkmail bin.

Here's my proof of Toms deceptive ways. I give you Saleen09's dyno debacle.

How many posts until it was let slip that "oh yah... that was on race gas." There were others... which I can't find. But its long been a complaint among several here that Tom is not 100% forthcoming with the fact that his posted advertised numbers have been on race gas. That is problem #1 I have.

Problem #2 I have is Tom doesn't feel the need to pay obligations that he owes.

Problem #3 Wonder why Vortech's reps don't post here?

Hey Tom - This remind you of anything: "Anything less than 93 will be a waste of time on any FI Focus"

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
roflmao. toms second post 'divulges' the fact that it was done on race gas. he readily answered the question when it was posed. its ridiculous how we're playing semantics here but to guys like tom 'high octane' means 110-116. maybe thats because he drag races semiprofessionally and actually backs up the products he sells.

as far as your smoking gun off sunocos website, that thing is horribly incomplete. back when eggyolk first got his engine swapped in he had tuning for a mixture of premium and high octane gas. we went on the site to find a gt pump near him and it didnt even list the station thats 5 mi from my house.

todd youve been sniping at tom for forever now and its really [censored] old. go find something better to do then [censored] on every thread in which hes mentioned.

·
Banned
2,246 Posts
Todd clearly is only interested in promoting his pinhole view of how things should be done, which includes pushing his "sponsors," (with all due respect to them, because they have absolutely nothing to do with this) however unprofessional that may be.

Todd, you are making your FOTB sponsors look bad by slinging mud.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
but back to the question at hand. as ray mentioned, toms stg 1 has put 200 horses to the wheels. it did it on my stock zetec(exhaust, ported tb, blocked egr) when it was first tuned and then recently, a year and a half later, when it was retuned. it should be easier for an svt to make those numbers but unfortunately, unless someone else chimes in, youll just have to make a guesstimate based on that.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Here's my proof of Toms deceptive ways. I give you Saleen09's dyno debacle.

[/QUOTE]

HTF do you consider that deceptive? I read the ENTIRE post and couldn't figure out what was deceptive about it? So if I', correct, race gas shouldn't even be available? What about NASCAR, do you think they should not be running race gas and running 93/94 and DETUNING there cars? How about top fuel cars, are they not of any interest to you because they don't run 93/94 octane? How about your local circle track cars, should they not run high octane either? WTF is your entiere point? I dont get it. If you don't have race fuel avail and not willing to pony up for it then so be it, stick to your mid 200's hp/tq, but if you can find it locally and can afford it WTF is wrong with a little more performance for a few more dollars with ALOT more margin of safety?
Get over it man. I can go to 3 different stations within 5 minutes of my house and have 112 for $5.29 a gallon. I run 93 through the week and fill up with 112 EVERY friday for "FUN" on the weekends and make some serious reliable horsepower, does that make me deceptive because I'm racing with high octane? I guess in your eyes it does.

Scott

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
way to get off topic. DJ, your best bet is to contact tom and ask him.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.