Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to Focal Jet, and I have my first question for you all:
I have a 2000 Zetec ZX3, I had been thinking that it was a little slow latley. So, I just purchased some bolt on parts and they should be here any day. But in the mean time, I was curious as to how much extra h.p. I might get from these parts.
*Tear drop muffler
*Tornado Air Management valve
*G-Box performance chip (just like JET chip or V-Chip)
*Cold air intake w/ K&N style filter

One more...
How much MORE h.p. would I get if I bought these parts:
*REAL K&N intake filter
*A heat sheild for the filter
*Denso Iridium spark plugs
*8 MM performance spark plug wires
*Performance pullys

Just one more, I promise...
What would the horse power difference be between a COLD air intake system such as the one I bought, and a regular aftermarket AIR intake system??? Thanks a bunch for listening, and any answers are appreciated. -Chris-

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well for one I can tell you that you would be better off with an actual cat-back exhaust system than just a muffler. Since your car is lightly modified i would say stay away from a chip this early in the game. Concentrate on letting your engine breathe. The Volant and Iceman cold air setups are very popular and are proven to increase power. The MAC isn't bad either if you are on more of a budget. Underdrive pulleys are a great mod and you will definately notice a difference in performance after installing one. The plugs and wires you have listed really won't do much more than maybe smoothe out your idle abit.

·
Registered
376 Posts
about 550hp to the wheels ,before the intake kickes in.
bye an APC sticker and you'll get 300 more hp.

[ 11-20-2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Graham ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by plummey96:

*Tear drop muffler

One more...
*REAL K&N intake filter
*Performance pullys

What would the horse power difference be between a COLD air intake system such as the one I bought, and a regular aftermarket AIR intake system?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here you go:

*Tear drop muffler : Probably 0-1,as there is basically no flow rate increase in a muffler addition such as this.
*Tornado Air Management valve : Again, I'd guess about 0, if you're lucky as the Tornado is a scam.
*G-Box performance chip : Probably 0, as chips of this nature work better on more highly modified motors. If you really want a chip, go for DiabloSport or Supership as they do help our cars.
*Cold air intake w/ K&N style filter : I 'd bet 3-6, depending on what style you get. Buy Quality here!!
*REAL K&N intake filter Again, 0-1, at best.
*A heat shield for the filter
: O would be my bet for all 3.
*Performance pulleys : Well, this depends. The crank UDP will increase throttle response due to the rotational mass, and diameter reduction, but no substantial gains with that either.

I am not being sarcastic in this response. The majority of what you mention are niceties, rather than performance upgrade. Go for a full Cat*Back system, Flex-Pipe, Header, A real intake system, upgrade ignition, adjustable cam gears, new stage 2 cams, blah blah blah....or you could just drop the wad and go Turbo or SC.

In the end it is up to you and how much money you want to spend. Just don't waste it on useless "ricer" myth parts.

Look around, Hang around. The Jet is a cool place. Lot's of info. Do a search and you will find more on the items I listed that you could read in a week. Welcome!!

[ 11-20-2002, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by Focaltech01:
The Volant and Iceman cold air setups are very popular and are proven to increase power. The MAC isn't bad either if you are on more of a budget.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does everybody have a beef with AEM or something?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by clemsonzx3:
Does everybody have a beef with AEM or something?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Naw, they all just paranoid of water getting into the filter then into the engine.

[ 11-21-2002, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Hi-Risk ]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by clemsonzx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Focaltech01:
The Volant and Iceman cold air setups are very popular and are proven to increase power. The MAC isn't bad either if you are on more of a budget.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does everybody have a beef with AEM or something?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea...drive around for an hour and tell me if you can put your hand on the piping without burning yourself...
I can hold my Iceman all day long after driving 5+ hours....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by plummey96:
Hey, I'm new to Focal Jet, and I have my first question for you all:
I have a 2000 Zetec ZX3, I had been thinking that it was a little slow latley. So, I just purchased some bolt on parts and they should be here any day. But in the mean time, I was curious as to how much extra h.p. I might get from these parts.
*Tear drop muffler

One more...
*REAL K&N intake filter
*Performance pullys

What would the horse power difference be between a COLD air intake system such as the one I bought, and a regular aftermarket AIR intake system??? Thanks a bunch for listening, and any answers are appreciated. -Chris-
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">115whp and 117 lbs/ft TQ. 5-spd
101-whp and 113 lbs/ft TQ-Auto

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it very much. Yeah that definatly makes sence, the whole let the engine breathe thing. Those parts are soooo expensive though.
I defintaly thoht about what you all said. I'ma sell all the "****" I bought. Re-think this whole performance parts thing, and buy some worth while parts.
So your thoughts on a new throttle body, underdrive pully, header, down pipe, what about a perforance catalytic converter? My ZX3 is an automatic - - -GAY! My dad didn't want me to get a manual. ANY more suggestions on GOOD parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Chris-

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey there is nothing wrong with an auto. I am running high 15's in the 1/4 mile. Get a diablo chip, udp, exhaust ( Thermal R&D sounds really good, thats what I have), iceman intake,and focus central throtle body. I think that I knowticed the most gains with the chip and udp. People give me crap for having an auto but you can turn some heads. Welcome to Focaljet and good luck with your car.

Mike

·
Registered
745 Posts
by your shopping list i would guess your splurging at ebay...the k-mart of our digital times...granted you may find some descent items but most of the cheap claim to hp's on ebay are just crap...sit down scan the post do some research and buy a couple quality parts and you will be making more hp than what your list would give you...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by clemsonzx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Focaltech01:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does everybody have a beef with AEM or something?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea...drive around for an hour and tell me if you can put your hand on the piping without burning yourself...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can. Are you talking about heat soak? Oh man i hate all that heat soak i get from my straight pipe. Heat soak to the air inside the intake cannot really ever occur because only the air on the outer edges of the pipe comes in "contact" with that hot pipe. In order for it to transfer easily you need to have some intrusions (like an accordian pipe) or something to that nature. Take heat transfer (a senior Mech. Engineering class) and you'll understand it better. Otherwise you can just take my word for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Risk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by clemsonzx3:
Does everybody have a beef with AEM or something?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Naw, they all just paranoid of water getting into the filter then into the engine.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've driven in every horribly adverse condition. It cant happen unless your filter (and at that point your entire bumper) is submerged. We recently had a bunch of snow here. My filter was packed solidly at the bottom with snow/slush. Didn't phase a thing. My filter is just really dirty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was under the impression that the AEM bypass valves had totally shot that argument down.

FWIW: I drove my '00 Si around with an AEM cai for a year in Indiana and South Carolina (not SoCal) and experienced absolutely no scares. And that was before the bypass valve was even out.

Please quit making folks paranoid for no reason.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you do this on a normal basis? I'm not really sure what your point is... It's made to move air, the last time I held mine was while installing it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
the air in the intake goes into the engine so fast it has no time to get hot. it doesnt matter if you intake was really really hot.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
its made of aluminum right? i thought i remember reading somewhere (maybe in science in high school) that aluminum conducts heat, but will not absorb it. remove the heat source from the aluminum and it will cool instantly or quickly. is that right? in that case, the aluminum would cool as soon as ambient air began to blow through/on it. just bs'ing though, i cant remember if thats correct or not.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBulletZTS:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you do this on a normal basis? I'm not really sure what your point is... It's made to move air, the last time I held mine was while installing it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">everyday..gives me a hardon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts