Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, im building a zx3 2.3 for autox and nasa TT. i want to stiffen the the sring rates as much as possible but not so much that i start twisting the chassis to badly (no plans for a cage anytime soon) so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i plan to run 15/7 rims and 205 or 225 toyo ra-1s. the car does see a bit of street driving but im cool with a stiff ride i just dont want to ruin my chassis.
thanks for any info

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I think Marcy Motorsport's shop car is running 500+ lb/in springs without a cage. The Focus' unibody is surprisingly stiff, much more so than a lot of cars its size.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
actually its not that stiff w/o a cage....you can get quite a bit of flex

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You mean not that stiff from a road-racer's perspective, or compared to other vehicles? I've heard quite a few people say that it's like a rock, in comparison to other cars in its class. Supposedly part of Ford of Europe's design plan since they knew it would be the next WRC platform.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
it is stiffer than many but when we did the the 1st cage, a bolt in, we noticed while jacking the car up, cage would move up and touch the ceiling....flex

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I suppose I never really noticed. I used to drive a Geo Metro convertible, and man, that thing has some serious chassis flex.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I used to drive a Geo Metro convertible
Now that is a manly car, if I've ever seen one--puts hair on my chest just thinking about it

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
It was teal.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Well, If you plan on racing your Focus in the future, say in a Spec Series (hint)………… You might want to look at what Ford Racing has. They have a Dynamic Suspensions Kit Part #M-3000-ZXM. For around $500.00.

They will be good for track use. I've already recieved them from Ford, and should be on the car soon.

The Spring rate is softer then the H&R Race springs, but are tuned with the dampers. These should be very good for TT, AutoX.... and Spec Focus Cars

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The Dynamic springs rate are around 180 lbs for the fronts and 285 lbs.. Maybe not as stiff as you're looking for....but they are tuned with the dampers.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The Dynamic springs rate are around 180 lbs for the fronts and 285 lbs.. Maybe not as stiff as you're looking for....but they are tuned with the dampers.
That is way too soft. Are you guys serious about going fast?
Tough Question.....But we are serious about racing a Focus that is equal to other Focus at a good price, but can still run with the H4, Spec Miata, Spec Neon Cars On the track.

maybe not as fast a people would like, and on the soft side But the Spec Focus should be as fast as a H4, SER-Cup, and Spec Neon cars. I believe NASA's Spec Neon class has even softer springs.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
180 is far too soft up front to control body roll and consequence camber loss. Maybe if you were running a true street tire, but any kind of DOT race tire will waste that spring in terms of body roll. The Focus has good geometry and doesn't need to be ultra stiff, but 180 isn't close.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
That is what Ford Racing want NASA to use. It is about 20 lbs lighter then what the Spec Neon has.

If NASA is going to get any support from Ford... It is important to take their advice and to use their product. Remember all the cars will the same suspension.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
That is what Ford Racing want NASA to use. It is about 20 lbs lighter then what the Spec Neon has.

If NASA is going to get any support from Ford... It is important to take their advice and to use their product. Remember all the cars will the same suspension.
I agree, however, at a certain point, camber control is important as it impacts tire wear.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

I love how this works.... Ford wants to be able to market the Dynamic Suspension as "Race Tuned" or "Race Proven", "Designed for the track", etc.... but they go about it backwards. Design a kit for the street, then FORCE the racers to use it.

I actually don't think it's *that* bad, as it's similar to the Apex kit which I liked a lot. The dampers play a big role too.

But I just get a laugh out of the absurdity of the situation.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
That is way too soft. Are you guys serious about going fast?
Tough Question.....But we are serious about racing a Focus that is equal to other Focus at a good price, but can still run with the H4, Spec Miata, Spec Neon Cars On the track.

maybe not as fast a people would like, and on the soft side But the Spec Focus should be as fast as a H4, SER-Cup, and Spec Neon cars. I believe NASA's Spec Neon class has even softer springs.
jesus...i race against spec miatas now....and it is not even close to what you would need to even keep from getting lapped...a lot...how many of the people at ford are racing a focus now...and have any idea what it takes to be competitive...i dont care what rates neons are running....probably same engineers who told me to my face that front hubs dont break...while i was holding two broken ones...enough already

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Um there is a point where yo can go too low and loose streetablity, I am currently there. I really would not suggest going with coilovers cranked all the way down. No ride ad is only good for the track. Great on the track but a bitch to drive everyday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts