Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. so this is for those that wanna know how to replace your own steering knuckle...for things like SVT knuckle replacement brake up grade, Wheel bearing replacement, CV replacement, if you have basic brakes suspension knowledge this will assist you in: Brake pad changes, spring replacement/upgrade, control arm replacement upgrade etc...etc...

I did it cause I needed to replace a wheel bearing and so I just borrowed a whole steering knuckle with a bearing in it so it would be easier than going somewhere to get the bearing pressed out etc.

Step 1: raise the car
(no pic cause if you can't do this...I mean damn)
Step 2: take off the wheel
(no pic cause if you." " " " )
Step 3:this is what you should have at this point

Step 4: (brake caliper removal)

in the pics above you see the red circles
well you take something like this: (#7 allan bit with rachet assembly)

to the back of them and begin to losen. Losen these till you can pull them lose from the caliper. You will have to look to see when they are all the way out.
step5: hang the caliper up and out of the way (yea just slide it off)
to do this you need to use some bailing wire or a coat hanger or something and hang that sucker high as possible. DON'T LET IT DROP...you could lose a brake hose and then your [censored] with MORE work..lets not talk about that...it really uopset me to think about it.
step 6: the other bolts:

now you slide the rotor off the hub...real easy, then you see these circled in red, well you need to take these off.
FIRST: take the one on the right off..its 15mm. just back it off. You have to take the arm off the connection in the pic, it should be somewhat easy...you CAN hit it with a hammer, just don't mushroom the top of it.
SECOND take off the upper one. SOME people will tell you to take it off last but I do it this way EVERY time and I have done this at least 8 times already. NOW see the pic:
SOMETIMES you can't get the nut off without turning the bolt...well you take an allan wrench and stick the right size in the hole and turn the nut with the wrench at the same time...I forgot that allan size btw but you shouldn't start this job with out plenty of tools for it. What I mean is if you have the tools to do this at your disposal you prolly have the right size allan somewhere.
THIRD do the bottom one you see circled, this one sucks ass..here is a closer look:
Get yourself this:
that would be 1 1/4 socket and a breaker wrench (long ass socket wrench meant for heavy duty [censored]. Get someone to sit in the car and STAND on the brake. SLOWLY take this nut off...this NUT CAN COME APART...and then you have to go get a new one at the DEALER...if you do this slowly and make sure the socket is all the way on the nut then you can reuse this nut, however FORD says you must replace it everytime.
STEP 7: MORE bolts and nuts! lol
this one circled in red is ALSO 15mm and all you do is just undo it. Once its out the hub may fall a little. Don't worry everything is cool though.
Step 8: ANOTHER damn bolt!
this one is by far my favorite one (sarcastic k?) Now you need the trusty 15mm wrench you've figured out is for practically everything AND a torx bit....32 I believe. Undo the nut from the other side while holding the torx bit in place. Slide bolt out...you may have to tap it with a hammer and move the hub around a little.
STEP 9: shimmy the hub assembly down the strut..you may need some foot help for this one...
STEP 10: lift the hub assembly off the bottom control arm. This will take some shimming and turning etc. also. Now all thats left is this:
NOW PULL THE HUB ASSEMBLY TOWARDS YOU....and it should come off somewhat easily...maybe..if not then tap the axle head back into the car with a RUBBER mallet and that should get you started....IF its EXTREMELY difficult to do then you have some other problems that you need to figure out. k so I got you this far....installation is the reverse of removal.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Re: HOW TO: complete front wheel hub break down with PICS!

Awesome post, but i think your last pic is not the right one.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

Step 1: raise the car
(no pic cause if you can't do this...I mean damn)
thats my favorite part! Im dyin over here.
how come you didnt post about doin this? You know I dont have anything better to do than wrench on a car. especially if it aint mine.

·
Registered
748 Posts

To put it properly, this is a "knuckle removal" step by step, not a hub removal. Proper removal of the hub (and bearing) will take some more pics. And a press. If you attempt it and need some pointers let me know.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

oh yeah....your right..and believe me I have done that before...I will retitle the thread. I was just checking out some possible noises and decided that I would take pics this time.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
nice how to. I vote for it to be stickied!! is that even a word? oh well you know what i mean. this is very helpful

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ back to the top!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
unfortunately, I'm not sure wrcfan would like "how to" posts stickied, especially ones where you need to lift your car up with a jack. Jacking your car up is dangerous if not done properly, and as Charles pointed out to me last night, making this thread sticky might signify some "endorsement" by focaljet.com and it's staff, opening up a liability issue.

We're checking to see if wrcfan doesn't mind this post being sticky.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Axon, this is not a personal attack on you so don't take it that way. This is is for everyone........

are we a bunch of [censored] pussies?? We are all so scared of [censored] lawyers that we can't even help each other out by telling them how to fix their cars! what kind of [censored] is that????? god damn it! I am so sick of all of this crap! Just have some goddamn personal responsibility for your own actions! Why is that so [censored] hard??? It is [censored] like this that pisses me off! YOu can't walk out your front door anymore without worrying about what will happen if you water your yard and the sidewalk gets wet! What if someone slips? why the [censored] should you be responsible cuz that moron doesn't know how to walk? It is all about personal responsibility!!! Now everyone in the [censored] world get some so we can live out lives freely again DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry about that rant! I am just fed up with all of this political correctness and everything that is associated with it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Quite some time ago FocalJet has "HowTo's" posted based on some of the installs on the project cars. Then they were removed after advice from whoever FocalJet talks to concerning legal issues. I wasn't in on it, all I know is they were there, then they were removed based on legal advice.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Not to mention if we "stickied" every how-to, we'd have to wade through 10+ stickies to get to the first thread. As long as it's searchable, that's all the matters.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
are we a bunch of [censored] pussies?? We are all so scared of [censored] lawyers that we can't even help each other out by telling them how to fix their cars!
No offense taken, greggles.

The point isn't we can't help each other. There are a lot of reasons we don't sticky the howto threads:

1) it MIGHT appear as if FJ is "endorsing" the instructions. (wrcfan basically already said user-submitted how-to articles are okay because of a clause in the sign-up screen deeming FJ harmess from any info posted by a user, and claiming each post is the responsibility and opinion of it's poster, not reflecting on FJ's Views).

2) How many how-to's are there on the jet? Like someone else said, you'd need to wade through dozens of stickies to get to any real content.

3) The forums are searchable. anyone who needs to find the info can find it.

If you all REALLY want this info available easily, I'll toss it up on focushacks.com with props to COSitsWORTHit, if the he will give me permission to do so. (with some editing and formatting, of course)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I know that you can't sticky every one. I understand that. I am just pissed off at the fact that Ron is afraid of "causing someone to hurt themselves by giving them some information". I think that is disgusting! Not the fact that Ron and his council feel that way, but the fact that HE HAS TO FEEL THAT WAY AT ALL!!!!!!!! It is so damn wrong I can't even put it into words.

I will just let alone and move on!!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you all REALLY want this info available easily, I'll toss it up on focushacks.com with props to COSitsWORTHit, if the he will give me permission to do so. (with some editing and formatting, of course)

lol you can put it on focus hacks....and I don't mind the editing..hehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts