Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to determine which ECU flash load my SVTF is currently running. I've searched around and couldn't find anything regarding how to do this other than to use the dash-readable dealer diagnostic method, which I've already done. The only field that seems remotely relevant is the EE code, which is E001 on this car. No clue what that means...

Anybody know an easy reliable method of determining the flash version?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I tried get the dealer to tell me once because I was not convinced that RLA6 was actually applied. I got nothing but blank stares and the "I don't know what you've read on your little internet thingy, but that that's not a Ford part number" attitude. (They didn't really say that, but it was on their face.)

Basically all the service writer knew was that if they plug the car in and it needs an update, it gets an update.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
The way to determine which ecu program your SVTF originally came with is to open the passenger side door and there should be a white sticker located on the side close to where the upper door hinge is near the dash and it should say something like RLA 2 or RLA 6.This depends upon what year your SVTF is since you didn't mention that in your post.IIRC the 02 and 03 SVTF's had the RLA 2 or RLA 6 where the 04 SVTF's have a different ecu program.Now if you had gotten the ecu reflashed from the TSB # 03-19-11 which is the YRFO update then they usually install a sticker under the hood indicating the update done.I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motivation is that I just had it in for warranty work complaining about, among other things, the battery light coming on under braking and surging at part throttle. The work report indicated that they "recalibrated" the ECU, which I have no idea what that means. Reflash? Kill the KAM? Reset some adaptive variables? Whatever?

So I'm just trying to determine whether they actually updated it with the YRFO load or not. The service writer didn't know anything beyond what the technician put on the report. It's an 03, btw.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
The motivation is that I just had it in for warranty work complaining about, among other things, the battery light coming on under braking and surging at part throttle. The work report indicated that they "recalibrated" the ECU, which I have no idea what that means. Reflash? Kill the KAM? Reset some adaptive variables? Whatever?

So I'm just trying to determine whether they actually updated it with the YRFO load or not. The service writer didn't know anything beyond what the technician put on the report. It's an 03, btw.
Reflash usually means they updated the ecu with the most current edition available which would be the YRFO.You can also ask the tech directly that worked on your 03 SVTF what exactly was done since it is not 100% clear to you on the repair order and if the YRFO was performed.I think that it takes a bit of driving for the new ecu program to relearn after it was installed.Did the problems go away after the reflash was performed?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The foolproof way to know is to get an aftermarket tune, flash it yourself, and then you will know without a doubt what tune you have - oh, and your car will run a whole lot better, too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the problems go away after the reflash was performed?
No clue whether they did a reflash. That's what I'm trying to determine. The paperwork says they did a "recalibration", which may or may not include a reflash as far as I can tell.

It does seem much more drivable now. The typical surging is either gone or so much better as to be barely noticable. Only had a half-day of driving it since the change, though, so hard to say for certain.

They also "fixed" a loose tumbler in the ignition switch that caused the warning chime to be permanently on whenever the door is open. That worked properly for about an hour and now it's happily driving me batty again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After driving it for a few days I can say for certain it's MUCH smoother under part throttle. Kinda like you'd expect a decent car to be.

I also ran it up in the revs a few times and it appears that the intake is switching to the secondary at about 5000-5200rpm now.

So I suspect that it did get reflashed with YRFO. Regardless, it runs MUCH better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts