Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all thought that 2010 was a great event, but we now want to make 2011 better. So lets throw out what we can improve for 2011 and how to implement those ideas.

First, we definitely need name tags with screen name and real name on it. Honestly, finding some way to include an image of the person's car on it as well would be great too. So many people I know by their car alone and not the screen name.

·
King wheel-whore. BOW before me!
4,743 Posts
Good Idea, I have a few ideas from a number of folks, I'll compile them and post them here, you may want to add Gerald aka REVSWIN to this area as well, he had some great ideas and wanted to help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
im here, ive heard a few things from members as well.

Jason, as far as the screename/car/real name goes, i seen your thread on FF about it. it was normally a spur of the moment thing in the gen. discussion thread. i know it was last year. normally a pic of the car right before its ready to leave its' garage. (mine always wears leather)

I have already mentioned that Hotel Carlisle is OUT. I will be researching a better hotel and hopefully one that can provided cheaper dinner rates. Im looking down RT11 a bit more. towards where the carwash and hooters was. it keeps us on 11. thats what i want.

as far as the banquet goes, it was Ken and my first time. bit of a learning curve. there are tons of things we could have done better.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, actually, there wasn't. The banquet was a HUGE success! The ONLY thing I think could have made it better would be sponsor give-a-ways. The items given away were not that big, but next year we can make that better. I remember at one of the FOTB events I went to a DEEP discount on a JRSC was offered.....like 50% or similar. I would love to see a big raffle next year.

Oh, and I think some more creative class awards would be good. Something like "Most original or unique exterior mod" and similar classes. Classes that acknowledge a mod someone has done, not always the whole car. Like this guy:

Not the best overall exterior, but his wheels were CRAZY. Some people thought they were dirty, but after talking to him, he did an "antiquing process" to make them look like antique wood. Up close in person that's what it looked like, but most people missed it.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
All I can say is the best car shows, and best g2g's are the ones without POLITICS. More sponsers, means more politics. Grassroots style is best, thats my opinion. Once too many sponsers get involved, stepping on shoes, demands, etc kick in.

Anyways I have an embroidery machine, and Mike here in MI has a vinyl cutter. I have done many of the car clubs in MI, as well as race teams. I can make some very nice Pit Crew or work shirts with left chest logo, right chest name, and big logo on back. I do not have a hat hoop, but I can get one to make hats too. I would do all of this at about cost. It takes about an hour to make a Pit Crew shirt.

Regardless of doing anything for the show, I am going to make shirts & hats for the hotel partying in the name of good fun. Like the Shugarlo "In bed by 10pm award" for the first person to pass out, lol.

I'm just glad that all of the drinking was done at the hotel, and nobody had to drive, etc. For as much drinking went on, it went perfect and everybody got along. It was awesome.

running reds lights, potentially VERY bad idea. Jake almost rear ended a sedan from Florida while trying to keep up, and stay close. That would have left two cars totaled, and that's all anybody would have talked about Saturday. I'm all for a different approach next year.

·
3,345 Posts
Also, us MI guys are very broke... Economy is still bad in MI, I am unemployed for that fact. that is why we did not get dinner. The toll roads from Toledo to Carlisle were $30 one way. We had 3 cars, totaling $180 in toll roads... That is a LOT for a weekend.

With our budgets we would have rather seen a HUGE group pizza/pop(or soda) order at the hotel, at $10 a person. Thats just us, and I know I seen several other tight with there money.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sponsors are what help turn simple G2Gs into EVENTS. I have not seen very many issues with sponsors at all the Focus events I have been to. If it wasn't for them, then Ken and Sean would have to pay for LOTS of the items themselves. And I am sure both of them footed the bill for a good amount of it anyways.

Those awards given away at the banquet had to be purchased, so it's not just about give-a-ways when it comes to sponsors.

As for the budget and food, yeah $30 might have seemed high for the banquet, but that food was REALLY good and I got MORE than enough to eat. Well worth it for the food and room we got to use. Plus if we were to have another speaker like Mark this year, I doubt it would make a great impression if we all ate pizza at the hotel as he spoke.

·
3,345 Posts
Sponsors are what help turn simple G2Gs into EVENTS. I have not seen very many issues with sponsors at all the Focus events I have been to. If it wasn't for them, then Ken and Sean would have to pay for LOTS of the items themselves. And I am sure both of them footed the bill for a good amount of it anyways.

Those awards given away at the banquet had to be purchased, so it's not just about give-a-ways when it comes to sponsors.

As for the budget and food, yeah $30 might have seemed high for the banquet, but that food was REALLY good and I got MORE than enough to eat. Well worth it for the food and room we got to use. Plus if we were to have another speaker like Mark this year, I doubt it would make a great impression if we all ate pizza at the hotel as he spoke.
I understand that sponsers are needed to help foot the bill, I'm just saying be careful you don't have to keep too many people happy. I can give you in detail how it can backfire if you so desired.

I also understand the banquet was the ideal setting for a guest speaker. I just know people are struggling, and it's the people that make the event. Not sure if you guys noticed but there was one person who slept in there car Fri & Sat because they could not afford to stay in the hotel.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not a public forum, so feel free to throw out any examples you may have. I didn't notice who slept in their car, but if I knew that was happening, I would have let them sleep in our room.

I almost didn't make the event myself, but if Barry had not let me share a room with him on the trip, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

·
4,743 Posts
REMINDER ALL THIS STAYS IN HERE!

Yeah Sean and I have really been looking at costs for the next year, not only our own costs but costs for the attendees. I ended up putting up just shy of $500 for a few things including the first deposit on the banquet hall and a good bit for the Focus Rising Decals from Josh at Hendricks Design, even though he did donate "some".

Hotel IS going to be different next year. Sean and I were not happy with the Service, Cleanliness, and Costs they provided. There were no refrigerators or Microwaves as stated in the original deal, the Security Cameras were not even active and hooked into a working system, my Hotel room had roaches, and their Service was HORRIBLE when we asked for the slightest things, such as towels.

The Banquet will Naturally be different as well, we are going to look into other options for that but I intend to have Ford's support again so it can't be too downplayed.

The Sponsors and Affiliates this year were great minus two, FSWERKS, Ford, GMP, FJ, and FL Focus held their ends of the deal. And I thank every single one of them for the support!

There were 2 Sponsors / Affiliates that did not hold their end of the deal...

Josh at Hendricks Design jewed me out about 2 months prior to the event saying that he could no longer donate the decals and I'd have to pay for them after he already shipped them and agreed to my terms for Sponsorship. Then this week decided to flame me publicly on Facebook and via PM on FF on an opportunity he missed out on, so that being said he will NOT be back next year as I find it ungrateful for the amount of business he made off the event (excess of $300 alone from FR Decals).

As for the other, FF, well Tom has basically pissed me off to no end at the moment, he said he sent FF Decals and Plates 2 weeks prior to the event only to receive them this past Monday postmarked from 6/2 which was Wednesday. He also would not announce that there'd be no FocusFest this year until after FR because he did not want the "events to conflict" which I'm confused by as there is no FocusFest this year. I'm seriously considering leaving that site as a Moderator at the moment because I've never been so angry with him with not only this issue but a few other issues on that site, not going to go into it in here.

/End Rants on HDS and FF

The Sponsors / Affiliates that did participate did very well and got a TON of publicity from the Event hopefully.

But enough on Sponsors / Affiliates as I will be working on better relationships with the ones that participated this year and were awesome!

I would really like to get costs at the Hotel down to $80 a night or less, the Banquet $20 or less.

As for the Shirts I will be contacting Gerald once Greg (Auto) and I have designed a 2011 Logo. We definitely need to do a Rally Theme again next year but execute it better. Sean and I are going to talk to Rick from Carlisle about getting an Invitational Building for next year.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thoughts on the Focus Rising show awards. I think we should do it with a judging panel, and the panel won't have their car judged so it is fair. Maybe use a format like Import Face Off uses:

CAR SHOW SAMPLE SCORE CARD
Judging based on quality not quantity. Having the most modifications does not guarantee a win.

EXTERIOR BODY – 20 pts
Cleanliness 1 – 5 pts
Modifications 1 – 10 pts
Paint and Graphics 1 – 5 pts

ENGINE – 15 pts
Cleanliness 1 – 5 pts
Modifications 1 – 5 pts
Paint/powdercoating/polishing 1 – 5

UNDERCARRIAGE – 10 pts
Cleanliness 1 – 5 pts
Suspensions/stance 1 – 5pts

WHEELS – 15 pts
Cleanliness 1 – 5 pts
Appearance/Size 1 – 10 pts

INTERIOR – 15 pts
Cleanliness 1 – 5 pts
Entertainment 1 – 5 pts
Special Features 1 – 5 pts

DISPLAY – 5 pts
Style/MODELS/special features 1 – 5 pts

OVERALL APPEARANCE – 20 pts
1 – 20 pts

TOTAL = 100 pts
I think a group of 5 judges going through all the cars and ranking them would give a very fair judging system and allow lots of awards to be given out.

·
4,743 Posts
Yeah we used a few of the Organizers from this year and last to make our decisions, I had input from Brian (Bri) and Bill (viney266) as well as Sean and I put in our input. I agree on this though as participant judging gets a little bit crazy. I think the group of 5 needs to be a hand selected group, no scoring, just plain old, who is best for each category as scoring gets crazy to get done as we had no time this year for that to be done on the showfield.

BTW, looks like Ford will be on board for next year as well as well as another Unannounced Focus Event that I'm trying to get going (Just like Focus Rising).

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Hi Ken,

I'm sorry to hear that a couple of the sponsors didn't come through. That is always frustrating.

It's disappointing that FocusFanatics didn't step up to the plate. I wish that I had been able to get involved earlier.

I will say that we are 100% on-board in providing all the help we can for FR 2011, as well as any other Focus events you may be interested in organizing.

I'd like to discuss some of my ideas in more detail and will post them here later.

Thanks,
Ron

·
4,743 Posts
Ron Thanks Again man for stepping up to the plate, mad kudos to you sir. And I'll enjoy working with you again next year. BTW, your Banner will be going out this week sometime, just been busy with work, being in the hospital, and other things.

Hopefully this next month or so I will be re-updating the website once Sean and I get some info on Hotels, Banquet Halls, Etc.... in the Carlisle Area. 2011 is gonna be the year to be remembered, this past year will be nothing compared to 2011!

·
Registered
263 Posts
i called a hotel today and discussed a few things. its $10/room more than Hotel Carlisle. the banquet cost would be the same.

I'm still looking. i want to finalize a location no later than September. I'm thinking about staying in Mechanicsburg the first week in July to see whats up there. i found a way to get cheap rooms through a contact i met at the hotel Carlisle. too bad its only good for myself......

anyways

I'm glad to see that FocalJet will be a big player in FR2011.
Ken, do we have a vinyl sponsor for next year? i have 2 contacts in hagerstown that do race graphics for dirt cars. they've never had any issues creating 1 sticker of multiples.
lemme know

as far as awards go, id like to see funny ones next time. and i also agree that the judging panel should be ineligible.
funny ones can include (and Ken and i mentioned this)
"Best Job on Showing your G/F's car"

and so on.

we can make up quite a few by then.

Carlisle already does "Best of" awards. i feel FR should be doing the funny ones.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I TOTALLY agree on funny awards....the more, the better! I do think there should be "best of" awards for legit categories on top of the funny ones however

As you guys know, I have a vinyl contact. I can also check with him once we have an idea what we want done.

·
4,743 Posts
Awesome Sean, what Hotel is it? I'm going to check out Best Western up in Carlisle this week as they may be suited for our needs as well.

And as for Vinyl, nobody yet. Right now it's anyone but Josh as he burned his bridges with this organization. Jason or Sean if you could contact either on if they'd be interested I could shoot over the logo and see what price they could get us.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i really want the hotel to stay on RT11. did the Best Western look big enough to house banquet rooms?

im veering towards mechanicsburg due to carwash access and stuff.

·
4,743 Posts
ill just take my car over sometime this week and get a quote on the FR decal.
what other decals do we need?
I think the FR one will be fine, I do want to add an 11 some how.

i was looking at the Holiday Inn Harrisburg West. www.HIharrisburgwest.com
OK I know where you are talking about, it's the one right off 581

i really want the hotel to stay on RT11. did the Best Western look big enough to house banquet rooms?

im veering towards mechanicsburg due to carwash access and stuff.
BW looked like it could, I'll check with them. I really don't think we should base it off Car Wash Access and Access to Shopping Centers and All, I think we need to keep it close to keep the caravan together but not too close.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts