Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make the seats recline further than they do??

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
I dont have an answer...but I hope somebody does, I always wondered that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine recline all the way...they didnt for like 5 minutes but when i got the car home it went down fine. Am i missing something? Are they supposed to be stopped at a certain point?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
You'll need to get a special tool for that.

Here's a pic

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
lol. They stop reclining about 4 inches from the back seat cushion. Just curious, but why would u need them to recline any more?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if i end up having to sleep in the car ever again, its very uncomfortable having the seat not recline all the way. so does this mean no one has done it?

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
the bracket stops the seat from reclining anymore. You'd have to fab the bracket.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
well....if you absolutely must sleep in your focus, just flip the back seat flat, and spread out! I've done it a handful of times, its actually quite roomy. well as roomy as the back of a focus can be!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, nah i dont have the backseat in the car, ive got stereo stuff back there. what do i have to do to the bracket to make it work?

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Hmm... I might be able to offer some mildly helpful info based on the re-apolstering of a '74 VW bug I did about 5 years ago.

On the bug, the reclining hinge was like a wheel / or bicycle gear with teeth about a third of the way around. At either end of the section of teeth there was a larger tooth. The locking mechanism would hold the seat-back in position on any of the teeth, but wouldn't go past the either of the two big teeth- and so you had the range of recline. It would have been easy to take a dremel to the large teeth & make the seat-back capable of full recline.

HOWEVER: One thing to consider is the pivot point for the recline. On the Focus, I believe the pivot is a little high. That means even if you could recline the seat all the way back, it would be quite uncomfortable to lay that way with the bottom of the seat-back being quite higher than the seat-bottom.

Hopefully my descriptions made sense.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Mine recline all the way...they didnt for like 5 minutes but when i got the car home it went down fine. Am i missing something? Are they supposed to be stopped at a certain point?
You have an SVT...those seats can recline back all the way (I have SVT seats in my '05)

On stock ZX3/ZX5/Sedan seats, they don't recline very far back

·
Registered
857 Posts
<-----------victom of car slumber many times

1 - 15 of 15 Posts