Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: Please do this at your own risk. The contents in the spray cans can be harmful if used incorrectly. Be safe when doing this project

Ive been a member here at Focaljet for some time now. Seen many posts about painting the stock rims. Always been interested in doing it but never had the time nor the money to do so.

But recently I was reading another re-post about painting the rims, and how it would look like. So I grew re-interested in doing the whole "painting stockies" thing. Heres the thread I am referring to: http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...ge=0#2416949603

And as some of you may know Im a body work kinda person, so this was just another fun little project to do.

So heres my little tutorial on How-To Paint your rims, be it stock or aftermarket.

Estimated Time:
1-4hours (could be done in less time but the more patience you have the better it will look)

Materials:
Qty.
1 2" Masking Tape (automotive tape works best)
2 Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Paint
1 Scissor
5-6 Trash bags (or some newspapers)
1 Towel (or microfiber)
1 Brush (or Scouring Pad: fine)
1 Bucket
1 Dishwashing liquid

Note: I used Duplicolor WP105 which is a nice Bronze color

How-To:

Now the key to any good paint work is the amount of time for prep work. The less time you take prepping and makign sure things are done and tapped off correctly the cleaner the outcome.

Remove the rims from your car, most of you should already know how to do this. If you dont follow these two links to Jacking up the car and removing the wheels.

1. Once you have it removed. Use some of the tape and mark which side it came from.

2. Pour some of the dishwashing liquid and water into the bucket, not that much just enough to get it all soapy. Why dishwashing liquid? Becuase it doesnt have wax and it drys pretty quick. Now take the brush or scouring pad and begin to clean the rim and tire. This is where you'll wish you got a scouring pad. Its easier to take out some of the grime and tar from the rims with the scouring pad, than to try to brush them off. Its best that as your removing the dirt, tar, and grime you leave the water running. It helps wash the dirty away.

3. Next set it aside preferrably where it would dry quickest. And work on the other rims. Once you see some of the water drying off the tire, take the towel or rag, and beging to take out some of the water that may have gotten into the little crevasses. Now repeat this step for the other rims you may be working on at this time. (Important: Make sure its dry and all the water spots are removed)

4. Now take some of tape you have and start taping off the area's you dont want painted. I decided I would like a little lip so I taped it off. If you have any weights on your tire its best you tape them off too. But if you would like remove them and then put them back on when your finished.

5. Now take the plastic bags or newspaper and cover the tire up.

6. Now go to your painting area, and lay the tire flat so your facing over it. Shake the spray can for 2 minutes to make sure that the paint is mixed. Your ready to begin painting. For your first spray make sure you hold the can about 10-12 inches away from the area. Do only a light coating the first run through. Sit for about 5 minutes to let it dry. There should be a light haze of paint over your rim.

7. Now its time to get a little bit closer to the rim when doing this second coat. Do the same thing just a bit closer to the rim. Dont worry about certain spots just yet. Now let this dry for another 5 minutes.

8. Now repeat this process just one more time, this time a little bit closer to the rim 6-7inches. Then allow it to dry once again.

9. Now this is were things beging to look nicer. This time when you spray get pretty close 3-4inches. But is important that you dont spray in one spot too long. Just spray in back and forth motions. Prop up the wheel as if it were upright and mounted on your car. Notice any spots without enough paint? Well start spraying them. Try to make it even. Whats funny is that the Duplicolor Wheel Paint actually trys to even itself out a bit. Once your done you should have something like this. (Repeat these steps for the rest of the rims)

10. Spray any area you feel need spraying. Dont go OVERBOARD and make it thick.

11. Set them aside and allow them to dry for 15-30 minutes.

12. Now its time to remove the tape, and plactic (or newspaper).

13. (OPTIONAL) Take that microfiber, or towel. And stary trying to remove anything that has gotten on the tire while it was drying.

14. Now mount all the tires on, into the correct places.

15. Now sitback and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Now knowing some people in this forum I might recieve some bitter critisism. All I want to say is that this is just to show people how to get started to a new look. Dont like my wheel color, so what. This is just to get some of the newbies or people who want to change the look their a guide on where to start. I know the step and methods I took arent that great nor all that professional. Just my way of doing things.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How To: Paint yout Rims (Stock or Aftermarket)

YES IM A STICKY!!!

·
Registered
993 Posts

YES IM A STICKY!!!
as you should be!

nice job man, there are a cple things that i'll do (primer , clear, and some sanding) but you did a great write up. thank you

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I to thought of doing extra prep work such as primer, clear coat, and sanding. But turns out that the duplicolor sticks pretty well to wheels alone, and it has a natural gloss to it as well. Ive heard some have used it in track use without any chipping or fading.

But yes more prep work, the better it last. So awesome.

·
Registered
924 Posts

nice tutorial

·
Registered
3,440 Posts

Very nice, love that look.
Just might have to to that to my motorcycle.

·
I'm gonna knock you out, Momma.
1,170 Posts

I painted my wheels too, the same color. It was quite easy. The hardest part was taping off, because of the circular shape wheels tend to have.

Edit: Here is a pic of my bronze painted wheels:

·
Registered
29 Posts

I love that look that you gave the stock rims...giving me ideas; I love bronze rims on a black car:)

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts

great tutorial, thanks a lot... im going to be painting my wheels white any time soon

-edit-
why not paint the lugs too?
-edit-

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

I painted my wheels too, the same color. It was quite easy. The hardest part was taping off, because of the circular shape wheels tend to have.

Edit: Here is a pic of my bronze painted wheels:

looks suprisingly good..... maybe i should paint my EsvtF rims that color....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Came home from work today only to find more and more people that have done as I have done. Which is awesome.

Drew: Nice look as well hehe

So far I have recieved mixed reviews. Many have complemented, but some (stereotypical ricer) just scoff and laugh. But again I dont really care.

I think that any SVTF rims would look awesome painted this route. Gives it that million dollor look for only about 10 bucks haha. I would like to see Euro SVTF rims painted gunmetal or bronze. hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts

Nice job!! I plan on painting my SVTF wheels black

·
Registered
974 Posts

what about the inside of the rim, does that get painted or no??

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts

I see you did not paint the entire rim, just the front half of it, so the back side of the rim is still silver? have you contemplated taking them off again to paint the other half?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The back half when mounted is not visible, didnt want to waste my time painting something you can see. Although it would make it a complete complete paint job, of course that would require also more paint.

I did just up to when it begins to even out in the back. So most of the rim is painted, a little in the back as well, just not the whole thing.

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts

id say just do the light coat on the back part of the rim, anddo the 2 coats on the front part of the rim, if you have 2 cans like he says, I have 2 cans.

also thats the DIRTIEST part of the rim, I might just paint it black.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts