Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work, I felt my brakes lock up, it felt like the right front draging a little. Started smelling burning brake pad, so I pulled into a nice big parking lot to inspect the smell and the wheel drag. Nothing on fire, nothing hotter than normal, put the truck in neutral and pushed it to see if any of the brakes were locking up, and nothing. Checked under the hood, thinking it might be the tranny or something else causing the burnt smell since all the wheels were turning freely. Drove back out on the roadway making my way home. Driving down a blvd at about 45 mph, came up on a red light and the brake pedal goes all the way to the ground! Pump the brakes, and get nothing but floorboard. I quickly downshift, second, first, then activate the emergency brake and shift into neutral, still going too fast and about to hit some cars that are already stopped at the light, check my mirror and the left turn lane is clear so I switch lanes and roll halfway into the intersection. Just as I start looking for cross traffic to come up and turn me into a hood ornament the light goes green for me to go. I shift into first and make a u turn at about 5mph and drive into a parking lot. Called my wife, told her that I was going to be late getting home. I called a tow truck to come get me and tow me to a mechanics shop.

It's funny how people say that things move in slow motion when you are in a panic situation, and how much stuff goes through your mind, you don't even think about the movements that you make, you just do the things you're supposed to do.

How was your drive home?

·
I have a golden finger
1,834 Posts
i'll let you know when i actually get off of work... but comin to work sucked...5 lanes of traffic...dead stop for no reason...sat there for about 30 seconds...a drive that normally takes 20 minutes, took me a whole hour...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
i'll let you know when i actually get off of work... but comin to work sucked...5 lanes of traffic...dead stop for no reason...sat there for about 30 seconds...a drive that normally takes 20 minutes, took me a whole hour...
30seconds!!! WOW great time!

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
My drive home normally takes about 20 minutes, but the road I take home, is partially closed down. earlier today they had northboud lane closed, and I have to go north on that road to work, so I had to loop way out of my way to get to work, then by time I got off work, they had the southboud lane closed, so once again, I had to loop way out and around to get home.

20 minute drive took me about 35-40 minuted today both going to, and coming from work. I'm gonna go a different way friday just to avoid that road altogether. It will add about 5 minutes to my drive as opposed to 15-20 extra minutes of drive time.

Damn road construstion in MI during the summer. It's the same crap every year, some major road is tore up and everything is a mess.

Luckily, me working for a cab and limo company, I hear about everything and normally have time to plan an alternate route either to or from work before I stumble upon it myself.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Lou, so glad that your quick qits and smart thinking got you out of that situation safely and unscathed. Hope everything with your car works out and you are back rolling again soon.
Let me know if you need anything.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My ride home from work was just fine

Getting road head makes it so much calmer in traffic!

Ummmm that's all I can think that would make a trip on the 15 north at 5pm a good one

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Wow you guys seem to have it easy (well except for the failing brakes lol)

I NORMALLY expect my drive to and from work to range from 15-45 minutes depending on traffic and light road work.

A “BAD” traffic jam is when a 15 minute drives takes 4 hours…

Imagine coming to a complete STOP for 20 minutes, where you could actually turn the motor off in your car.

There have been plenty of times I have been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic at 2am, where it takes 45 minutes to go ONE exit.

·
I have a golden finger
1,834 Posts
30seconds!!! WOW great time!
have you been in 5 lanes of traffic attempting to go one way, completely stopped for 30 seconds? its aggrevating as [censored]...specially when you're trying to get to work

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Typical South Texas commute, Three lane highway with gravel trucks, cement trucks and 18 wheelers clogging each lane, sometimes running parallel with each other. Mr. Importantbusinessman on his cell phone in his POS Suburban doing 90 while weaving in and out of lanes, tailgating the car in front of him until he can cut off guy next to him. It all comes to an abrupt halt as you approach the freeway interchange, people getting on are ruthlessly cutting off others to get on to the now-crawling highway while others still on the highway are trying like hell to keep them from getting on. Through the interchange the concept of a yield sign changes from [Yield for oncoming traffic] to [cut off the hapless SOB who's going to be only mere inches from you when you zoom past the yield sign that apparently may as well be written in sanskrit].

From there its on to a less congested freeway and navigating your way through oblvious old windbags in large cars or SUVs, yet MORE construction trucks tossing rocks happily all over your car or the occasional ricer, who thinks his Kia Sephia with the huge exhaust is really an F1 car in disguise.

The Police? Usually never to be found, or too busy keeping the little girls at the gas station convenience store company.

·
6,037 Posts
It all comes to an abrupt halt as you approach the freeway interchange, people getting on are ruthlessly cutting off others to get on to the now-crawling highway while others still on the highway are trying like hell to keep them from getting on. Through the interchange the concept of a yield sign changes from [Yield for oncoming traffic] to [cut off the hapless SOB who's going to be only mere inches from you when you zoom past the yield sign that apparently may as well be written in sanskrit].
Has noone heard of the zipper rule?
When traffic is almost stopped and backed up from each direction, each car is suppose to let one car merge over.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Dude I dont think I could keep my cool like that if it happen to me.

My Drive was fairly Normal. Just another drive home and sit in traffic to make the communte a Nice 1hr 20min Drive

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
It all comes to an abrupt halt as you approach the freeway interchange, people getting on are ruthlessly cutting off others to get on to the now-crawling highway while others still on the highway are trying like hell to keep them from getting on. Through the interchange the concept of a yield sign changes from [Yield for oncoming traffic] to [cut off the hapless SOB who's going to be only mere inches from you when you zoom past the yield sign that apparently may as well be written in sanskrit].
Has noone heard of the zipper rule?
When traffic is almost stopped and backed up from each direction, each car is suppose to let one car merge over.
Dude, this is Texas. Everyone for themselves here!

It's turned me into quite the prick myself. I'll speed up to block an oncomer and if someone cuts me off when they have a yield sign the middle finger goes up and the horn gets blasted.

Another major issue here in Texas, NO ONE knows what the left lane of a highway is for. Even with the POSTED signs from the government they still clog it! The cops will see this and do NOTHING about it!!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It's turned me into quite the prick myself. I'll speed up to block an oncomer and if someone cuts me off when they have a yield sign the middle finger goes up and the horn gets blasted.
Wow dude...way to be a prick to people. nothing like contributing to the problem

Another major issue here in Texas...
sounds like your driving has issues

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
How the hell do you know what goes on here? You live in Fla...I've been putting up with this crap for years now, I'm done letting people in, flashing to pass and constantly getting cut off to the point of almost causing an accident. I suggest unless you're familiar with my commute, where I reside and what it's like you kindly refrain from speaking, I know its going to be hard for you, but try it just this once, k?

What's with you anyway? You're always trying to start something with me. Either man up and bring it to me in PM or keep your mouth shut. Didn't mommy ever tell you if you can't be nice, don't speak?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My drive to work takes me 45 min for 8 miles......15 minutes to get home at night....wtf

·
6,037 Posts
Dude, this is Texas. Everyone for themselves here!

Another major issue here in Texas, NO ONE knows what the left lane of a highway is for. Even with the POSTED signs from the government they still clog it! The cops will see this and do NOTHING about it!!!!
I can understand getting pissed, but I live in the NYC area, and everyone knows New Yorkers are so friendly. Now yes there are times where another driver just pisses me of to no end, but for the most part I just ignore people being [censored], and just drive buy…

Oh and as for not letting people merge…
It makes life worse for YOU. Rather than traffic smoothly merging, the cars go all the way to the end of the entrance ramp, and then cut you off to get in because they have nowhere else to go. If you just let the cars merge in wile rolling traffic wouldn’t grind to a halt in the right lane when other traffic is getting on. Instead of blocking people from merging over, people here tend to let ONE car in, then move over ½ a lane and drive directly over the dashed line so another car can’t get buy, the car that just “merged” tends to keep almost all the way to the right to make sure another car can not get buy. Once a couple cars do this it forces people to merge properly.

Now the same thing often happens here too, once people start to be dumb asses at the entrance ramps, traffic comes to a halt from people fighting to get into traffic. When people merge PROPERALLY traffic continues to roll (although slowly but smoothly). In some cases people not merging right can be bad enough to slow traffic from 50mph – a crawl, all from people not doing a zipper merge!

Traffic is so dense here, and drivers can get so aggressive that the majority of people stay OUT of the left lane. Some people will immediately pull out of the left hand lane to let faster cars pass, even if it means they have to slam on the brakes, and pull right behind another car. The discovered a mysterious device called a REAR VIEW MIRROR.

When people don’t move out of the left hand lane horns start blasting, lights flash, and then after the dumb ass in the left lane does not move, the 30 cars proceed to simultaneously pass on the right, trapping the person in the left hand lane until every one is finished passing. Cars will often honk as they are passing on the right as well. Usually after that one the person figures it out, and pulls into the right hand lane. All it takes here is one car in the left hand lane to completely mess up traffic. Traffic can go from free flowing, with cars being able to smoothly do 85-90, to a complete cluster [censored] of cars doing 50mph backed up for miles.

Also cops on occasion enforce “keep right, pass left” and I know people that were ticketed with driving in the left hand lane. They still need to enforce this much more than they do though.

All things considered NY and CT drivers for the most part are not THAT bad, the people I usually get the most pissed at are people not from this area that drive like an idiot. So yea if these out of state visitors are any indication of what most people are like, well then I completely understand why you get so pissed though

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
the brake pedal goes all the way to the ground
I had that happen to me in my old Fairlane... turned out the guys at Jiffy Lube drained my master brake cyllinder of brake fluid in an attempt to purge the bad fluid out. They just forgot to refill it.

Never before have I been in such fear of not being able to stop.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Yes Vitello. I understand and I'm not stupid enough to drive aggressively enough to cause havoc or endanger anyone.

Mostly it involves me moving quicker than they are.

People here will cross two lanes of a three lane highway without even looking. It's like they're in their own little world, and no one else exsists to them, some just get in the far left lane and cruise, even if you swing around them they'll just sit there!

In most cases, if someone's just trying to get in front of me and he has the right of way, of course I'll let them through.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, got the truck back from the mechanics. It was the rubber boots in the pistons of the caliper that let loose. Ended up getting both fronts done, pads, rotors and calipers. Total cost installed was $480 and I'm on the road again.

Wife thoght it was too expensive, I told her it would have been more expensive if I would have hit someone at that intersection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts