Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does having a chip give u any hp gains?
how does it affect your mpg?

any dif in hp gain between chips? like super and diablo?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The chip will give you 10% more HP. On a stock focus zx3 thats 13. Could more or less. And the redline goes up to 7,100. hope it helps

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My friend dyno'd before and after the chip. It gave him no HP gain at all, but shifted power around a bit. This files under my "there are better things for the money" mods.

·
Registered
745 Posts
not everything is hp...the chip allows you to use premium fuel for a more aggressive timing map...combined with other mods it works well...it also raises the speed and rev limiters. when i got mine i had an intake and exhaust and when i put it in it felt a lot smoother...as well as letting me hit 125mph

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
no real power gains with chip. I don't even use mine really anymore. If you want something that cost as much as the chip but where you can actually feel the horse power get venom 400. I have a few if u interested

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hold up!! A chip is not a wast of money, I dont care how much power this thing adds on a dyno!! I did a test with a diablo chip distributor here at a local track. My car ran a consistent 15.7 with the chip all day!! I then did several runs thereafter without the chip and ran 16.1 repeatedly!! Hands down if u want the best bang for your buck this is it!! wether you have an automagic or a standard this chip will take .4 off your 1/4 mile!! another fella did testing as well in his automatic, he say a consistent .4 knocked off of his times. I have the x-14 burn. The same results can be had with a superchip as well. Wether it put power down or not, the point is the car is definatley FASTER!!! THE END

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think Tom dynoed many of these chips and no positive results were had.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
So I guess that backs the idea that it's all in your mind!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Revo , the Diablo & Super Chips are worth the
coin.Either chip will make your Focus ALOT
more fun to drive ! The chips also help you
get the most out of future mods.I use them
both on my ZX3.

David Turner

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I can't speak for those with a manual, but if you have an autotragic like me I think it is *definitely* worth it. I don't care if it doesn't add a single HP, it's worth it just for the change in shifting behavior.

The increased line pressure and quicker shifts help the ATX handle a little more power. The shift points are moved up, it no longer upshifts every time you hit 1500 rpm (at least that's what the stock program feels like), and you can actually get it to downshift when you need to make a pass. With the stock program it's like you mail an order for a downshift and it arrives 4-6 weeks later

Basically, it's like the auto tranny was programmed for someone who actually cares about performance rather than your grandmother.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
Not a one made any power at all on the dyno

Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exactly what i expected, my friend was pretty pissed too. He swore on his butt dyno that it made at least 10 more horse

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Ok, but you guys will not deny the fact that *most* chips raise the speed and rev limiter? To me, that in itself is a gain. I dunno how many times I have hit the speed limiter, and flipped out because others have a higher set speed limiter.

BTW, I thought the Venom400 was just a TPS advance? I remember seeing a big debate on it a long time ago(here), and I thought we finally settled on no actual gains, just quicker throttle response(Which a TPS advance would do, no?).

Al

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by EastAl:
Ok, but you guys will not deny the fact that *most* chips raise the speed and rev limiter? To me, that in itself is a gain. I dunno how many times I have hit the speed limiter, and flipped out because others have a higher set speed limiter.

BTW, I thought the Venom400 was just a TPS advance? I remember seeing a big debate on it a long time ago(here), and I thought we finally settled on no actual gains, just quicker throttle response(Which a TPS advance would do, no?).

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">why..so you can rev your zetec that maxes out at 5600rpm and drops like a rock after that and makes maybe 50hp at 6700rpm, rev even farther?

What you wanna hit 0hp before you shift? U wanna be coasting before you shift??

YES, if youre going through with big time mods like big cams and headwork and you need to rev past 7000rpm, sure, i totally agreee, any chip will do that

THe speed limiter? Sure, no prob, i dont mind that.

I just want to make clear to peolpe that a "chip" is not what fast and furious makes it out to be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All I'm saying is you can feel the power of venom engage and it gets you through your gears quicker. I would bet my focus the veenom gives you more horses than a chip

·
Registered
75 Posts
These are previous dynoes:
with chip: 134.7whp 137.7wtq
without chip: 135.8whp 136.6wtq
These were done with a diablo chip (JFA7)

Power on last dyno(now): 142.6whp 146.1wtq without diablo chip still. I may get better gains from a chip with a custom tune though.

Roger

[ 03-14-2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Jet powered go-cart ]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Last i heard on Smoes car it gave him 23 hp at 6400 rpm's..at the crank though , not the wheels....

Good kuck findin that lucky chip. Im hopin for at least 10 hp from it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Those extra few hundred rpms are why I have a chip. It means that I have just a little more room where I don't have to shift at the top end of second. This is critical at autox where top speed is often in the 55-60 range.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts