Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a Chrysler.

RWD with a Hemi V8 capable of churning out more than 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque.

Will they offer it in a manual?

Chrysler/Dodge are getting hot, Intrepid (charger?) and the rest of the LH cars (300, Concorde) are set to to RWD in a few years.

Edit: Scroll Down.

[ 01-02-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: focusdchaos ]

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one else feels the love?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Absolutely. I just read the blurb about in in Autoweek. I would love so see a high powered RWD sports wagon revival. I would be in heaven. I can't wait to see more pictures. It's interesting that Chrysler is getting back into the RWD thing after abanding it wholesale in the 80's. I hope the cars feel as good as they look.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i like it...good thing my grandfather was plant manager for 30 years...he can get a discount if i want one....whats the MSRP on that bad boy??

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
imagine the sound system you could put in that thing!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like a hearse...bleeech.....

Makes the SRT-4 look like something out of Italy...

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Oh Nooooo trying to turn another wagon into a sports car. Higher performence grocery getters boooooooo

[SVT folks will understand hehe]

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am definitely in love. Kudos to Chrysler for getting back to RWD. This think looks KILLER. Interesting how low the greenhouse is - it's not gonna be a great wagon in the functional sense, but rather a bitchin sporty car with some extra functionality thrown in, kinda like an IS300 SportCross.

I love it.

Ed

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I can only assume such a beautiful concept won't see production..... i.e. THE RAZOR!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Holy s***!!!! That thing is perfect!!!

Put the new Hemi in it and a 6 speed - HELL YEAH!!!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My uncle works for Chrysler and all the cars soon are all goign RWD except a few and they got big plans for the new Hemi's

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Kool_ZX3:
My uncle works for Chrysler and all the cars soon are all goign RWD except a few and they got big plans for the new Hemi's
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not all, just the LX cars.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
WoW I like it...looks cool yet is very pratical for kids and stuff

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

From Autoweek:

IF YOU CAN’T FIND something to like about the Dodge Magnum SRT-8, Chrysler’s “performance sports tourer” answer to the Audi allroad, may we suggest you check your pulse? Not since Lee Iacocca roamed the halls of the former No. 3 American automaker has the phrase, “If you can find a better car, buy it,” carried the same urgency and intent.

2003 LOS ANGELES SHOW MAIN PAGE

Consider the goods, as revealed at the Los Angeles auto show (and also appearing on the Dodge stand in Detroit): SRT-8 represents the first rear-wheel-drive car offered by Chrysler in more than 30 years, as well as the first Hemi in a passenger-car since the Nixon administration.
Yet this is no ordinary Hemi. This one takes the garden-truck-variety 5.7-liter Hemi V8 built for the Ram pickup and adds a Whipple supercharger that boosts output from 345 hp to an estimated 430 hp to 450 hp and raises torque from 375 lb-ft to 480. Chrysler says this performance version (there will be a de-tuned model) will go from 0 to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds and top out at 150 mph.

Dodge Magnum SRT-8 concept photo gallery

This is no smoke-and-mirrors “conceptual” rear-drive chassis. Rather, the underpinnings of the SRT-8 foreshadow the next-generation four-door, five-seat Chrysler LX platform. The SRT-8 concept will go on sale in 2004 as a 2005 production model called Magnum, along with sedan siblings like the Hemi-powered rear-wheel-drive Chrysler 300N. The first rear-drive Chrysler LX sedans arrive later this year. Need a topper? Chrysler promises all-wheel drive on the chassis as well.

For enthusiasts used to a steady diet of German engineering, Magnum represents more fruits of the Daimler-Benz/Chrysler marriage, in Mercedes components such as its five-speed automatic transmission, steering, front and rear suspension systems, and electronic wizardry.

Is a Mercedes—and then an AMG—version far behind? It’s enough to make you forget that this is a station wagon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dear God, please, may I have it? Please? Just add a stick, please? I need it, for my family, I do. I promise, 2 kids, a wife, and a stroller takes up alot of room. I need this car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting... but it looks too big for my tastes. Interior isn't very pleasing either... but at least they are going back to rwd.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love, love, love the idea of it, but geez, can't Chrysler *EVER* get the rear quarter windows of a station wagon right? I like strong D *AND* C pillars, incorporating the window into the door-window section tends to make cars look too long, and the droopy roof of the Magnum doesn't quite do it. Best execution of what Dodge is trying to do with that is still the 1972 AMC Hornet Sportabout V8.

But man, I'm still adding the Magnum to my future used-car shopping list. You betcha.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Originally posted by focusdchaos:
........Need a topper? Chrysler promises all-wheel drive on the chassis as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A real AWD or another one of these good only for getting up my driveway "on demand" ones? I assume since the base car is RWD it will be a proper AWD this time?

Big HP & TQ numbers are fine but how must does that thing weigh?

I'm interested in the concept of an exciting wagon with AWD but as for future products I think the 350HP twin turbo Legacy will be more my style plus it will have a manual transmission.

I imagine whether we ever see this depends a great deal on how well the Pacifica does? Early press rumblings seem to say the Pacifica is too expensive to wear the Chrysler badge.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by 2001 ZTS:

I imagine whether we ever see this depends a great deal on how well the Pacifica does? Early press rumblings seem to say the Pacifica is too expensive to wear the Chrysler badge.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Why would this car depend on the Pacifica? This car has already been slated for production.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts