Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my underdrive pulley from focus sport with the belt. I should have it installed by next weekend. ANyone know how hard the installation is? I will tell you guys what I think after I get it installed. I also got the front strut bar!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
is this the crank pulley or water pump pulley? Crank pulley is cake. Water pump pulley is a bit harder. Best accessed both from underneath. remove tire, remove plastic crank shield and unbolt crank...air tools help with the crank.

I think the water pump is 10mm. Use an open ended wrench and watch the knuckles. Also you will need I think a 15mm open ended wrench and probably a breaker bar to help with the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
not much! 3hp maybe.
I'm telling you tho, short of the ORP, the AF/X pulley has given me the best gains yet (on the butt dyno). Of course, Nalar isn't going to be doing many mods real soon, so I'll have to learn to be satisfied with the my car the way it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, 3hp is alot if you consider the ease of install & the price. How much is a catback?? Hom much is an AEM CAI?? Those 2 give you about 3-4 hp, but they're about $350 or $200 respectively. The UDP reduces rotating mass and is smaller so it's easier to turn(less drag), helping with throttle response. Now, think about when you drop 12lbs from that weight-plate of a FW(although they're like $400), and adding a set of lightweight wheels(rotating mass also), you're not really adding power just freeing it up to tear through the gears faster. Think about the 3lbs for the crank pulley, 12lbs for the FW, and losing about 7-8lbs per side for the front wheels, that a total of 30+lbs that the motor no longer has to turn first before it makes the car go. Hold 30lbs at the end of a rope and try to swing it.....ever see Mr. Wizard???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are the UDPs actually smaller? do they lose drag by giving my stereo less power, is what i'm concerned with.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes, they are smalled. The FocusSport UDP is 23% smaller then stock and much lighter. I have heard that some have problems with dimming at idle but not while driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts