Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got soap on my rims and it won\'t come off

I was at a car wash and used the foam brush to clean off my rims and i washed the car off and since then i've had soap spots on my rims mainly on the inside but some on the spokes. I just now took the wheel off and scrubed at it with car wash soap, then took rim cleaner to it and scrubbed with that and washed that all off and dried it off and the soap stains re appeared. any ideas of some stuff that will take it off without messing up my wheels....the wheels are konig holes in gunmetal.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Re: I got soap on my rims and it won\'t come off

you could try using the white polishing compound, just by hand, its not harsh, but cleans things well. also, apply wax to the rims (same kinda wax you would put on the car) it may remove the soap stains, and it certainly will prevent it in the future.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks for the tips i'll have to try them tomorrow.

·
RECORD PROFITS
5,297 Posts

yea, use dish soap. or, if you have a powerwasher, just soak the wheels really good.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Dish soap? Are you kidding me? That's the worst thing you can put on your car.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

They didn't suggest putting it on the car but rather to the wheel. It is considered bad for the car since it will strip the wax off of it. As most people (not all) do not wax their rims it will not be too big of an issue. If you are th type that waxes your rims you should reapply that wax after washing.

If you are going to slam someone's suggestion you might try offering an alternate or at least explaining your response.

·
Registered
154 Posts

dish soap will not hurt your car

·
Registered
401 Posts

I've been a detailer for almost 2 years and I've always been told not to use dish soap. Do what you want to do though.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

I've been a detailer for almost 2 years and I've always been told not to use dish soap. Do what you want to do though.

Most people who use dish soap to wash a car use far too much.

Though it is not the optimum formulation for automotive surfaces, it can be used without ill effect if used sparingly.

Like 3 DROPS per gallon of wash water...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

I've detailed as well and I just explained the harm behind it. Dawn or most likely any dish soap will strip any and all wax off of your paint. The only time it should be used is as a pre-treatment for a claybarring or right before a very thorough waxing of your vehicle.

Unless you are worried about the wax coat on your wheels though, it is probably not too big a deal to give it a try there.

Qualifying your statement by letting us know your a detailer is great and all but an explanation of why not to use it would be much more effective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts