Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys using the Borla with race headers? I have one with a JBA shorty and think it's pretty quite. When idling the sound is non-existant. You guys want a loud Borla, try listening to a XR1 racing catback on a '97 Cobra with long tube headers every morning when your brother starts up his car.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
No...I'm not running any headers yet. And I **** you not, it is loud. Even in idle...I just need something different. I have a buddy that has the borla plus header/cat/flexpipe and let me tell you....way way to loud for my taste...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Ollie18:
No...I'm not running any headers yet. And I **** you not, it is loud. Even in idle...I just need something different. I have a buddy that has the borla plus header/cat/flexpipe and let me tell you....way way to loud for my taste...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm running my Borla with an FC Race Header. Children, cover your ears. I seriously have to get a sound clip of it going.

It's louder and deeper than a Magnaflow + FS Raceheader.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Borla has no resonator - right? Why not add a stainless resonator pipe in the straight section from the flexpipe back? It can be a simple bolt on or get a muffler shop to do it. I have a spare 2-1/4" x 44" pipe with a 20" SS resonator you might be interested in. It has a bolt up flange on one end. Let me know. It should help quiet things down for you.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I was going to do that...but I heared to many things that doesn't want me to get one, such as restriction, not quieting down enough, etc.

I rather go with a whole new set up. Plus, if you cut the Borla you can kiss the warranty good-bye too. just a thought.

Even if I was interested in the pipe you have, I have the 2.5 borla so it wouldn't fit anyways.

Ollie

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Ollie,
Go Bosal and you won't regret it.
IF you REALLY don't like the look,(You get used to it), go w/ FocusSport's "Quiet" set-up.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Originally posted by spankenstein:
Every Borla I've heard has been REALLY quiet.

Just cutting the back resonator off the stock exhaust was louder than the Borla.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HAHAHA...u gotta tell me where u buy the QUIET borla...maybe I can trade mine in. Mine is LOUD. I wish it would be quiet. Mine is even louder than a borla my buddy has. Same thing...but mine is defiently louder...I wish you could hear it.

Michael...thanx man. I might go with the FS or thermal one. The look of the Bosal just doesn't do it for me. Maybe even Yo Dude...We will see...

But first I need to get rid of the Borla...

Ollie

[ 11-04-2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ollie18 ]

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
One of the quietest systems I've heard are the magnaflow's. I got them on both my Foci. But even as quiet as they are, they get real loud with a race header, mine sure did. But I added a second muffler (resonator) to the long section under the car behind the flange and it quieted it back down and now it sounds civil again. I put on one of Magnaflow's stainless steel round resonators with a 2 1/4" inlet and outlet and a 2 1/2" core, it's 14". But if I had to do it again I would install the 24 or 30" one for even more silence. As it is now it's very quiet till I hit 60, then it get's a bit loud. Not obnoxious, lut a little louder than I'd like it to be. It's not as quiet as our other Focus with the stock exhaust header and cat with the magnaflow.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What does this Bosal (w/silencer) kit consist of? Pictures?

I have the FS kit with the resonator I like the tone of the exhaust, but the amplitude(loudness) is still a bit high for my taste.

I was thinking of adding a Bosal "silencer canister” at the end of the exhaust in hopes of bring the amplitude down some and removing the tip at the track. Has anyone done this? Where can I get just the plain Bosal silencer with a removable tip? Cost?

Is there a better way of controlling the amplitude(loudness) of the exhaust with some type adjustable canister/muffler?

Maybe the a Supertapp?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Originally posted by RainyZX3:
Focus Sport Quiet System:$375 Ceramic Coated $300 Aluminized
Focus Sport Exhaust
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually I can pretty much guarantee ours is by far one of the quietest I have heard yet, even with a race header. Even sounds quieter than stock at idle. VP will get the db levels to you after Sema if anyone is interested.

BTW our ceramic systems are now silver in color & polished, they look real nice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check out the URL in the next post. You will only void the warranty on the section you alter. Your muffler and rear section will still be covered. Im getting 30mpg with this setup. When I was using a 2 1/4 louvered my milage had dropped by 2mpg. Whenever the thrush wears out I will go with the Magnaflow 2 1/2 X 28 resonator $62.00

[ 11-04-2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: bugshack ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
i can tell you this much, i am running the FS race header with flex pipe and their aluminized exhaust and is it deafining, especially if i am next to the center guard rail on the freeway. But I am going to get the FS quiet resonator in a few weeks when i go down there to get the car tuned. after talking with a few guys at FS it apperently eliminates alot of noise. If you are still looking for an exhaust i will let you know how it sounds when i get back on the 20th.

Geoff

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
What can you guys recommend, including prices. It has to be somewhat reasonable.

I'm planning on putting some headers on as well and a highflow cat as well. So I need something that will make this thing as quiet as possible, but still doesn't interfere with the flow...

any suggestions???

Ollie

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The HKS that I have now is the most quiet that I have heard..

I had the Bosal before and the HKS is more quiet than the Bosal

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Three letters...HKS.
$445.00

Mine's been on for three weeks now. At first it seemed too damn quiet but now it's perfect. Also a very low mellow tone.

But, this is a 2.1" tubing so depending on how the rest of your engine is, it may be too small.

Naz is hitting 160+ whp with his but he's selling it to buy a larger system. Check his sale price out.

Phil

1 - 20 of 39 Posts