Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 2001 zx3 (automatic) i know thats the problem but any way..... ive got 41475 miles on it no extended warr. At 36100 my check engine light came on thought nothing of it as the car ran normal Then at 39000 miles it started chugging a bit and there was a hesitation between 2nd and 3rd gear. I took it in and had the dpfe sensor replaced covered by ford under some extended coverage but now they are telling me that my tranny needs torn out to see what the shifting problem is. They want 1000 to do that just for labor and ford wont offer any assistance. Any ideas or suggestions. I called the dealer and ford directly and same thing both places. HELP

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Read the signature. My '01 ZX3 is my last Ford. My Dad's TJ (Wrangler) is more reliable!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Umm first something not about the tranny problem. You had a check engine light come on and you did nothing for 3000 miles? I wonder how well this car has been maintained.

On the tranny:
How bad is it? What are the symptoms? If it is really so bad that it needs major tranny work you might want to get a quote for a plain removal and reinstall of a ford rebuilt unit. Sometimes dealers want to diagnose the problem and that gets to be more than the dumb things are worth. I had one dealer want $600 to pull it apart. Then they admitted that it was 90% probably destroyed and needed a replacement unit. They finally admitted that the best bet was a plain R & R as the mechanics call it.

Good Luck

PS Sometimes Ford will split costs even after warranty....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts