Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and it's really very very annoying. It sounds like deto. at idle and putts like a model T, LOL. It is so bad I can feel a good bit of pressure coming out of there with my hand. What happened was this, the bolts backed out some what and were a bit loose. This being the exhaust manifold is some 1000+ degrees it warped the metal gasket. Now even with the stupid thing being tight it leaks like a civ.

Could I be losing power out of this? You would almost think.

So is there anything besides getting a new gasket i could buy at advance auto or something to temporarily seal this up till i order the new gasket? I'm going to do a oil change this afternoon when I wake up so any advice between now and 3 would be good.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Yes, you are losing power.

Can't you remove the wastegate, clean the old gasket, and use some kind of hi-temp gasket maker stuff and re-torque the bolts? Should work as a good temp solution?

I would imagine a leak there is prbly raising your EGT's as well. If oxygen gets into your manifold it will raise EGT's.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That's a tough one.The only thing I cound think of is to heat the flange with a
torch,put it back on and torque it down while using C-clamps to try to make it
seat better.Easier said,than done.Put some silver high temp anti-seize on the
bolts or studs to help with the torqueing,but seriously,it looks like the wastegate
might need replacing eventually.Good luck.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dwzx3fc said:
That's a tough one.The only thing I cound think of is to heat the flange with a
torch,put it back on and torque it down while using C-clamps to try to make it
seat better.Easier said,than done.Put some silver high temp anti-seize on the
bolts or studs to help with the torqueing,but seriously,it looks like the wastegate
might need replacing eventually.Good luck.
I hope it didn't actually warp the wastegate it's self. It wasn't lose enough that it would have, however it def. fried the gasket. I'll find a way around the wastegate.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Welcome to the world of turbos...

Pull it off, resurface both flanges, put in a new gasket, and cross your fingers.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I got a thicker gasket so it should be ok. It was an expensive gasket but much thicker. I caught the leak early enough that I tightened it down right away however it destroyed the gasket. I guess if it warped the wastegate i'll take it to a machine shop and have them smooth it out. Funny how I never had any problems for 2 years until now....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been fighting w/ the same problem for about 3 months now. My mani cracked and the guy who welded it warped the dam flange. I'm just gonna buy a whole new mani and say screw it!!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, honestly I doubt it will be warped that badly for me. Welding can get extremely hotter at certain points especially around the flange. I would def. be worried if it got red hot because thats when things go bad. Although the more you heat the more pliable the metal is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a 2003 zx3 2.0l. I took it to a mechanic close to my tire shop called Ed's automotive. He told me it take about a week to install a turbo kit on it. 3 and a half months later, I get the car back with the turbo clocked upside down, smoking something terrible, busted coolant res, busted thermostat housing, broken dip stick. Vacuum was completely wrong too. Knowing absolutely squat about turbos, I took to my mom's mechanic to find out exactly what to do to fix the issues. Here we are a month and a half later, doing my own repairs, I re clocked the turbo so the oil drain was at bottom, had to replace the header, downpipe, and wastegate because the guy cut the dump tube and re welded it for no reason. Wich in turn put a lit of stress on the header and cracked it. In doing the replacement of the wastegate and manifold, I found he also never installed the fire ring. So with all that repaired, I still have a leak from the header to wastegate flange. I tried double gasket, thicker gasket, tightening that side first, and nothing has worked. I'm running obx header and downpipe with DNA external wastegate. Right now, I'm building good boost and running pretty decent. But I really need to completely seal the leak and get a good tune. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been following these focus threads for a while now and a lot of them have helped me a lot. I only hope that I can help someone else with what knowledge I have picked up in the last 5 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts