Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my head ported and polished. every thing is brand new in the head.i put it on during the week and its not running righ i went from a 15.9 in the 1/4 to a 17.9 i just ran it tonight and i have no clue whats wrong now i never dynoed it but i didnt think that dyno would make that much of a difference.. was wondering if anyone know what might be wrong.. thanks :

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm guessing it's Hugh's fault...

Honestly, I don't know, but Ported and Polished is not a Simple Science. It can be Screwed up as easily as a Bad Suspension-Job.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Dyno tuning is essential... you're totally effing with the flow principals... now you need to find the "sweet spots" for it.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Could your cams be a little off? I'd start looking there first. And for that, yeah you need to get on the dyno.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
he has bigger problems then dyno tuning.

1. check all major cables and vacuum hoses (leax and connection)

2. look at spark plugs, their look will tell you whats goin on in the cylinder (btw, make sure your plug wires are all on, test them).

3. my buddy who did his head found out later after it runnin poor that he had a bad coilpack.

4. retrace your steps, go over everything and every spot

5. you used new head bolts and gasket right?

6. put your cams in right? tdc in #1 etc etc (dont use mark on udp).

7. if you got your compression raised, your not still runnin anythin but premium.

8. if 7 applies, your not still runnin a chip (standard burn) are you, all the timing put in the chip on top of the ecu's prgm...and then higher compression will be castastrophic. then again, the plugs could tell you this as well.

9. did you check the lash of all your cams in full. do you know how to check, many dont...

10. check all your vital sensors, you know, all the problematic 1s (dpfe, etc).

11. what exhaust system do you have from the head on back. hopefully not stock cat.

12. if #7 is true, did the shop you had the work done confirm that clearance of the valves vs. the pistons. (ie. claying the pistons)

13. scan for trouble codes

14. did you install any other mods at the same time? if so, check into those

15. silly, but seen it happen, your battery cables tight? (recalled if app.)

16. you drained your old oil out b4 puttin new oil in w/the head right? (again seen it happen, thing has 8qts in it)

17. confirm that your fuel rail is all the way back in, again seen an instance where they didnt put it back all the way in, lucky for the owner nothing happened b4 it could be fixed.

18. a bad or malfunctioning TPS could cause the car to run very very lean, check it w/a voltmeter. w/car on but engine off, have a buddy route the leads into the tps, and watch the meter, if when you push the pedal all the way down (engine off remember), and he doesnt get at least some thin over 4 volts (ideally somewhere between 4.25-4.75)...then the tps is not functioning properly.

19. if #14 applies in terms of a tb, did you install the tps in its right place?

20. i'm presuming in the reassembly of this engine, you used a tq wrench of everythin right?

i'll think of some more, good luck, keep us posted, all else fails, get your car down to mcnews...they can figure it out.

-Ult

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
i had my head ported and polished. every thing is brand new in the head.i put it on during the week and its not running righ i went from a 15.9 in the 1/4 to a 17.9 i just ran it tonight and i have no clue whats wrong now i never dynoed it but i didnt think that dyno would make that much of a difference.. was wondering if anyone know what might be wrong.. thanks :
How does it run to you tho? Misfire? Bucking?

Also, there's a good suggestion list above me. Look into it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not miss fireing and not bucking just seems like theres nothing there and it sounds funny when you r opening up running down the track like theres a real slight stutter. its hard to discibe i am checking threw the list above now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he has bigger problems then dyno tuning.

1. check all major cables and vacuum hoses (leax and connection)
checked
2. look at spark plugs, their look will tell you whats goin on in the cylinder (btw, make sure your plug wires are all on, test them).
replaced
3. my buddy who did his head found out later after it runnin poor that he had a bad coilpack.it was running good before i put it on will it go that quick

4. retrace your steps, go over everything and every spot
checked
5. you used new head bolts and gasket right?
replaceed
6. put your cams in right? tdc in #1 etc etc (dont use mark on udp).
didnt do this part will have him check tho. what do you go b just tdc on the 1
7. if you got your compression raised, your not still runnin anythin but premium.all premium

8. if 7 applies, your not still runnin a chip (standard burn) are you, all the timing put in the chip on top of the ecu's prgm...and then higher compression will be castastrophic. then again, the plugs could tell you this as well.no chip

9. did you check the lash of all your cams in full. do you know how to check, many dont...no i dont know hoow but the place i took the head to the y had the cams there with them to shim them would they do that there

10. check all your vital sensors, you know, all the problematic 1s (dpfe, etc).lost here

11. what exhaust system do you have from the head on back. hopefully not stock cat.full exhaust

12. if #7 is true, did the shop you had the work done confirm that clearance of the valves vs. the pistons. (ie. claying the pistons)they shimmed the valves

13. scan for trouble codes.

14. did you install any other mods at the same time? if so, check into those.
i ported the intake manifold
15. silly, but seen it happen, your battery cables tight? (recalled if app.)
checked
16. you drained your old oil out b4 puttin new oil in w/the head right? (again seen it happen, thing has 8qts in it)
checked
17. confirm that your fuel rail is all the way back in, again seen an instance where they didnt put it back all the way in, lucky for the owner nothing happened b4 it could be fixed. ill try this

18. a bad or malfunctioning TPS could cause the car to run very very lean, check it w/a voltmeter. w/car on but engine off, have a buddy route the leads into the tps, and watch the meter, if when you push the pedal all the way down (engine off remember), and he doesnt get at least some thin over 4 volts (ideally somewhere between 4.25-4.75)...then the tps is not functioning properly.ill check this now

19. if #14 applies in terms of a tb, did you install the tps in its right place?

20. i'm presuming in the reassembly of this engine, you used a tq wrench of everythin right?checked

thanks alot for this list i dont know much abu=out cars but i have a good idea how to put tthings back together when i take them apart and my freind does a lot of work on vws and hondas and he went with me threw the process and he set the timeing for me . he got specs form a ford garage .goign to chek some of the other things on the list and ill kepp it posted.. thanks..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
remove plug #1.

stick a long screwdriver down into the cylinder, have a buddy watch the screwdriver, turn the pulley nut w/a long wratchet, whenever the screwdriver reaches its highest pt. (might have to fidget back and 4th a degree or 2), then thats TDC on #1...when you have that, then attach the belt back on w/your cams at 0,0 (lined up w/the alignment bar).

-Ult

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
remove plug #1.

stick a long screwdriver down into the cylinder, have a buddy watch the screwdriver, turn the pulley nut w/a long wratchet, whenever the screwdriver reaches its highest pt. (might have to fidget back and 4th a degree or 2), then thats TDC on #1...when you have that, then attach the belt back on w/your cams at 0,0 (lined up w/the alignment bar).

-Ult
THANKS

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wai when you said dont go buy the mark on the pully did you mean the factory pulley. i have the factory one on there now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you are going to align your cams correctly, use this:

http://www.newedgeperformance.com/aemcamgearin.html

It's a kit identical to the Ford Special Service Parts. If you index the cams on a hundred cars with these tools, they will all come out EXACTLY TDC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts