Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Black SVT. 27,000 miles. I saw it on the internet at a local dealer, figured ah i'm just going to go in there and test drive it just to see what it was like, with no intention of buying it, but then when I drove it I just absolutley fell in love with it. Its everything i've wanted in a focus. Deep down I have been toying with the idea of buying one, but never thought I would. This car is just awesome. Totaly love the interior. The windows have been tinted a little dark, so I will check into getting them redone a little lighter. Also the previous owner shaved the SVT emblem off the back, that won't fly with me, so i'm making the dealer put a new one back on. Its also got a AEM long cold air intake on it with the filter down at the bumper, i'm not sure I will keep that, really don't know much about that one. So anyway, just wanted to say hey to all the SVT guys, and hope to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome to the Club, I have an 03 Black SVTF and i love mine, good buy and we will help you as much as we can, hey its kinda funny I also live in salem, but on the opposite coast!

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
nice purchase, i wish i had a svt.. well im get to look like one with my SVT rear bumper

·
Registered
168 Posts
I thought about selling mine for awhile, but I realized I am in love with mine and cant sell it. They definately grow on you. The more you drive it, the more you love it. I always thought I was a quarter mile kinda guy, but this car has totally changed my opinion on that. I love the curves now that I have a car that can take them! Drive it like you stole it!

·
Stoned Scorpion says, "GET OVER H.....OOhhh! Brown
11,972 Posts
If you plan to drive your car everyday then dont get a long intake!!!!! I bought my 2002 SVTF and it had a long AEM on it and it messed my car all up. The check engine light kept coming on so I took it back to the dealer. Turns out when it is by the bumper, it sucks up all of the crap on the road. It like a fast vaccum cleaner. LOL. Eventuallly after time it cracked that crappy plastic intake manifold and the check engine light came on. The check engine light came on for the next couple months until the dealer figured out what was wrong. It was in and out of the shop 3 different times. Turns out i threw out the intake and put the stock one back on and have not had a problem like that since. If you do want a long one i would highly advise you to clean the filter pretty regularly or replace it and those are not that cheap. Whatever you do dont buy a long one. Try a short ram one instead or the K&N typhoon setup.

-Shawn

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Welcome to the Focus world. Now let the spending begen

I would also recommend getting rid of the CAI and going with a short ram set up. Most of the people that I have talked to have run into problems with them. Just something to think about

·
Registered
887 Posts
disagree with this ---> If you plan to drive your car everyday then dont get a long intake!!!!!

Had my AEM Cold Air Intake on for 2.5 years and zero, zilch, zip, nada issues or problems with it.

Get the Steeda Short Shifter and Energy Suspension motor mount bushing like in my sig and you will be a happy driver.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool cool, thanks for the replies guys. I'm taking it off, i'm buying either a focus sport cool flow, or volant, but i'll read up on the typhoon as well.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
welcome to FJ... you've come to the right place if you are a focus enthusiast. hopefully, you'll find a wealth of good info on modding your focus...

congrats on the SVT

·
Registered
106 Posts
congrats on the SVT... just going to warn you to keep an eye on your clutch... they tend to go out... if you hear any rattles or vibrations from the pedal get it checked out ASAP...

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Welcome to focaljet and congrats on the SVTF!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy many miles without any real problems. Getting an extended warranty from Ford may not be a bad idea though if you only are going to do minor mods. Mine has easily paid for itself when they had to replace the motor for my sunroof. It tood 5 days all total because of the work getting the interior roof out.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
disagree with this ---> If you plan to drive your car everyday then dont get a long intake!!!!!

Had my AEM Cold Air Intake on for 2.5 years and zero, zilch, zip, nada issues or problems with it.

Get the Steeda Short Shifter and Energy Suspension motor mount bushing like in my sig and you will be a happy driver.
You have to remember that you are in Texas where the weather is fairly good all year. He lives in Oregon were they get there fair amount of rain and even some snow. So there could be a chance of something getting sucked up in the intake.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love this car. I'm going to try and get it to a Ford dealer where it was bought new and have them do a once over on it. From the car fax i got i think i have about 2 months of warranty left. Couple of things i'm wondering. The revs hang pretty good between shifts. I heard something about a flash update from Ford? Also the shifter has a tiny bit of play in it, when in gear. I also thought i heard a small thump when shifting from first to second, not a harsh thump, almost sounded normal, but i'm not sure. I'm going to have the dealer look at everything if theres a warranty left at all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way, the dealer i bought it used from was a chevrolet dealer, so they could care les, just wanted the $$$$$.

·
Registered
937 Posts
First off, welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy the car! However, this is just a reminder to the always not so obvious......BE SURE TO GET AN ALARM! And also, with the value these car have, and will have, you might want to consider getting the LoJack system in your car on top of the alarm. Having your pride and joy stolen from under you really sucks, I know!

Just my 2 cents..........

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I really agree with Steven2000 the price of a alarm or even lo jack is worth it if you want to keep your pride and joy around. My wife and I had a S2000 and someone stole it from our house while we were gone one day. They found the car a week later, but there was nothing left of it. It just sucks to have a car that you love taken away from you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
OK, here are some SVTF basics...

First (and most importantly) - you live in Oregon. There have to be some twisties around... take your ride out... you'll really love it.

Now to explain your "problems"/observations. The SVTF has a dual mass flywheel. That is, the flywheel is 2 pieces that separate when the clutch is engaged. I believe this is the cause for the hanging RPMs during shifting.

It also has a trick Getrag transmission with two drive shafts. First gear uses one; second uses the other. This allows the car to have two drive ratios, but the clunk you hear is the second drive shaft engaging during the shift. BTW, the Mini Cooper (at least the Cooper S) shares this same transmission.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts