Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving for the past 2 months with this:
CAI, ported TB and early 00 manifold, Race header and AF/X crank pulley. And for some reason, I felt like the car was not producing the power it should. Then I got a great deal on a bosal flex and catback. OMG I love my car so much now !!!!!!!!!! I feel like so much power was blocked before and it has just been unlocked !!

Anyways, now I was thinking about some cam gears to maximize the gains but I have no idea how to adjust them.
What is intake and exhaust cam and where should they be placed. Also, does any of you have tips on how I should set them for my 3 runs ( o,o , .... )

I'm really confused about how to do it.

Thanks for your help,
Marc.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It's amazing how something so little can unlock so much power. I wish I had a catback,intake, and new headers.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you don't what cam gears are or where they go, I would suggest moving to an easier bolt-on project. Unless you plan on have someone else install them and tune them for you. If you do this then you don't have to worry about adjusting them yourself, since you don't know how to do that either.
But if you want the answers to your questions, here they are:
-Cams gear are circular pieces of metal driven by a belt (or chain) that rotate your cam shafts.
-They should be placed on the passenger side of the cam shafts
-It won't matter where you have them set for your three runs, because your going to adjust them between each run anyways.
-You adjust them by taking an allen wrench (in most cases) and loosening the bolts around the cam gear and then using a wrench to advance or retard the gear.

Thats as BASIC as it gets

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help EggYolk. Though I'm not that ignorant. I was not clear enough I guess ( I have problems expressing myself in english ). I know how to install them easily, It's the part about adjusting them (with what you said about advance, retard) that confuses me a bit more.
When do I advance when do I retard and do I need to do the same adjustments for both of them or somethimes they're different?

Thanks again for your help,
Marc.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Every engine is different Sir Marc. For your engine, you might need to retard the intake side and advance the exhaust side, while I might need to retard both of my sides. Every engine will benefit from different tuning - as for myself, my timing is set at -4,-4.
I guess I could explain it to you, so here it goes:
That first -4 number means that I have retared my intake timing by 4 degrees. The second -4 means that I have retarded my exhaust timing by 4 degrees. With the parts that I have on both my intake side and exhaust side, this is the timing setting where my engine flows best. This is why its different for every engine. For example, you're intake may flow better in the idle-4000 rpm range, while my intake flows best from 3000-6000 rpm range. Or you exhaust work best in the 2500-5000 rpm range, while mine works best from idle-4500 rpm range (these are just hypothetical situations guys). So as you can see, you have all these different factors that effect the flow in and out of your head. This is why everybody's timing is different, because they all have different parts. And sometimes even the same setups will have different timing as well.
Hope that kinda helped.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Put a real mani on there and see how you like it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Put a real mani on there and see how you like it.
it isnt really worth it if you dont plan to get deep into mods...the ported y2k manifold is perfect for just bolt-ons..keeps the TQ no loss in low end and flows air much better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much EggYolk, now I get it. So after I get them adjusted, every other mod I do should require another cam adjustments, right ?

Thanks alot,
Marc.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It may or may not...thats the beauty of wasting you money on dyno tuning. I would try to get all your mods done and then get tuned, so you don't have to keep going back and getting re-tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts