Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car is so close to being something I really really like, but falls short because of it's lack of low end power. Sure there are mods you can do, but the results I see posted even with a supercharger and not all that great. My wife's Mazda 6 Sport does the 1/4 mile faster than a JSRC SVT Focus.

I am seriously considering getting an 03/04 Cobra.

What I want is immediate throttle response and enough low end power to power out of a turn. Again my wife's 2003 Mazda 6S does this pretty well.

It's also disappointing to see the great mods for an SVT Cobra that add serious power and cut serious times off the 1/4, but there is no silver bullet, no magic cure for the lack of power on an SVT Focus.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing it, I really enjoy it and wouldn't be so upset if it didn't fall so close to something I would really really LOVE.

So despite my near pointless ramble what I am actually asking is:

Is it feasible to get that low end power at a reasonable price without going crazy on mods?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
426 Posts
So you did drive your car first right?

Its a NA 2.0L 4 banger. Of course it is not going to respond to mods as well as a 4.6L Cobra beast.

I don't think a mazda 6 s does the quarter mile faster then a JRSC SVT. Possible though I guess with the tall gearing and all.

I say get an 03 Cobra.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You shouldn't have gotten this car. You are talking about two different breeds of car, (cobra mustang, svt focus). They are so different you can't compare the two. Also the Mazda6 is an awesome car, but again nowhere near a cobra for what you want. If you want something that screams going down the straight line then you should have gotten the cobra, if you want something that can cut the curves with the best of them than you have the right car.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
like the others said, you shouldn't have bought it. No way, no how can you compare it. I feel the same as you, especially after having a 550rwhp stang, but I also realize right now this is the best and safest for me. After I take care of some personal things and move back south I will probably buy a used 03' Cobra depending on how they are holding up. And hopefully can pay off the focus to keep it as a daily driver and have the beast for nights and weekends.

But, you can't compare to someting that has twice as many cylinders and has been in production for how long now? If you can afford the cobra, the anniversary edition is sweet looking. I would go for that if I had the money.

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
If you want immediate power out of a turn, by all means go JRSC with big boost and the pectel. That way you have your power and throttle response, as well as the superb handling the SVTF presents. Add some coilovers and you've got a little canyon carving beast on your hands.

You can't compare the Focus to a Cobra, its apples and oranges. Most model year V8 Mustangs perk up at mild modification. There is no magic bullet for the Focus, sadly. If you're just looking for 1/4mi fun, by all means get the Stang!

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I will agree you can only go so far with a fwd car even with mega horsepower as even those that Car and Driver tested in the 4 cylinder tuner shootout.Comparing the SVTF to the Mustang Cobra is like comparing apples to oranges true the SVTF will handle fantastically but the Cobra will win in the 0-60 mph and the 1/4 mile times but of course it is putting out 390 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque(underrated numbers btw).So if you want the power you can't go wrong in getting the Mustang SVT Cobra.Most of us purchased the SVTF for its all around performance and value for the money.If they want more power a JRSC is a sure bet.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Why people by 4cyl cars and expect them to be 1/4 beasts is beyond me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It is not the cylinder count that matters so much as it is the displacement, rate of fuel/air burn and THE TRACTION.

You could (theoretically) build a 5 liter NA 4-banger. If it isn't choked off and has great traction (RWD/AWD), then you are going to be going places with it FAST.

Throw FI on that thing, and you are going to spin heads.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Because there are 4 cylnder cars that are fast in the 1/4 mile and also handle well. See SRT4 for example.

Just because something only has 4 pistons doesn't mean it has to be dog meat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Because there are 4 cylnder cars that are fast in the 1/4 mile and also handle well. See SRT4 for example.

Just because something only has 4 pistons doesn't mean it has to be dog meat.
The srt will have growing pains. I enjoy my SVTF don't you?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why diddnt you just buy a Cobra in the first place? You did know what you were buying I hope??

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did everyone miss what I saw. The SVT with the Jackson WILL NOT lose to a stock Mazda 6. DO NOT go by the numbers in that car and driver article as they are nowhere near accurate. If you want something with a TON of power get the Cobra, but dont think you need the Cobra just to beat the Mazda.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Last night I got a chance to see one of our SVTOA chapter member's Cobra. A blue converible with a Kenne Bell supercharger and a dyno sheet reading 582 RWHP with tuning issues.

The Cobra will definitely kick some straight line arse but get that car on the twisties and your SVTF will have a field day with it.

Tell you what, have the best of both worlds....keep the Focus and go buy a used GenI or GenII SHO and supercharge it. You'll kill the Mazda, along with stock Ls1's, Mustang GT's and older Cobras ( from a roll, they don't handle all that power off the line well. ) and still have 4 doors, low insurance and a pricetag less than 10 grand. They don't handle that badly either, but not as good as the SVTF will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I test drove my car the salesman told me that it will loosen up and be more powerful once broken in. I knew it would still dissapoint but and here is the big but, The car is so good otherwise that it makes me long for perfection. In otherwords it's really close to being perfect for me but falls short with that lack of low end power. Had I never bought it I would have thought it was good enough for me.

I am not trying to compare wife's 6 sport with it but just said for example that does the quarter in under 15 if I am not mistaken. I am not looking for 12's but just saying geez If I spent the dollars on a supercharger I would expect it to be faster than a 220hp mazda 6 that is a bit heavier.

Of course Cobra vs Focus SVT is apples to oranges, but I think it's my best choice. If there were no cobra then a Mustang GT might do it for me (nothing better at Ford to shoot for).

My biggest dissapointment is after making a right or left turn not having the power to pull away from the turn because I am not doing 4,000 RPMs in 2nd.

Thanks for the advice. I am stuck with it for a little bit and am looking at the Cobra for February or March 04.

Don't think I am bashing, I still really like it.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>>Why didn't you just buy a Cobra?
I had a 1998 Contour SVT 6 cyl 195 HP. It was heavier and that car didn't dissapoint. Not super fast, hell the Focus SVT might even be faster but it had enough torque or maybe it's just the right gearing to pull out of a turn better.

It doesn't need to have 390HP to make me happy, that's kinda my point with reference to the Mazda 6. Wife's Mazda 6 sport 6 cyl 220 hp is heavier and fast, but not cobra fast yet it has plenty of power where I am complaining about, after making a turn I find myself at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM's and in the Focus it's just not where there is any usable power.

Again not looking for 12's in the quarter but when I look at the times a JSRC SVT Focus pulls it's dissapointing for the $$ versus what the stock 6 does, I would have thought blowing the SVT would make it much faster but what I am seeing posted is really modest gains.

I think if the SVT Focus had the 6 cylinder from the Contour SVT I wouldn't be complaining at all.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey if second doesnt pull.. shove it in to first! just have to rev it up so it doesnt jerk.
oh and the 03 cobra isnt all that bad in handling..

here is what confuses me i figured that with the cobra's huge tires it would have lots and lots of grip but.. steady state cornering is better in the focus. yet.. when me and my friend with his 540rwhp /610 rwtq 03 cobra went to an autocross he was faster then me by .5 seconds. but then again it was our first time maybe he just drove his car better ?! but then again my tires were squeeling 80% of the time and his only 30% basically every time he touched the gas (he almost spun)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK so before I jump ship who has a supercharged SVT Focus for me to test drive or at least be test driven in NJ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
SVTNJ5......how much did you expect the car to "loosen up"?? I mean it's only 170 hp, and a 4 banger. Guess those New Jersey salesmen hand out some pretty good lines. Check out the mods a lot of these guys here have done if you want a screamer. I know what you mean about the bogging but you have to keep up the revs in a 4 banger. Same thing with a Honda S2000 which is no slouch. Personally I doubt that the 4.6 in the Cobra will hold up well under abuse. 5.4 is a better and stronger engine. For balance though this car rocks!! <font color="blue"> </font>

1 - 20 of 25 Posts