Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to relocate my battery to the trunk and need a how to on all the wireing please. i have no idea where to run the wire (or wires) through the firewall. should i run 1 wire and splice it or run 3 or 4 wires to the front for each thing. should i just have a shop do it? what should i pay?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well If I was you I would try and find a stock hole to go through somewhere in the body of the vehicle and then just route them under the carpet or behind the panels. I would definitely get a battery box, a marine one should work fine and vent the box to the outside air. Its really just a self explanatory kind of thing. We have one in the trunk of my drag car and that is how we did it. If you want to be NHRA legal it HAS to be in a box that is secured with 3/8" bolts and then you have to have a switch located on the back of the vehicle that clearly indicates wether the car is on or off...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
860 Posts
It might be easier to route the wires outside the car until you get them back to the trunk...Then you can run them into the car...
I think its Jacobs Electronics that makes a little dealie that basically duplicates your battery posts so that you can just keep your current wiring where it is, connect it to the device, and then just run two wires to the battery in the trunk...
Overall, though, it isnt that hard of a process to relocate the battery...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well here i swhere i stand. i have no interior, my car is stripped so running the wires is not a problem. the real problem is what do i do about all of the grounds. do i just ground them or can i pull the big ground wire to cut weight, (i am a little anal about my cars weight)and just put a short 1 and 1/2 foot ground in the back. and can i just splice the new positive wire into the old ones. also, is a 4 gauge wire big enough? thanks all!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
please make sure you fuse / circuit break (although fuses are better) the battery.. having a 2 guage (at the minimum) sized wire is like having a 2 guage firecracker in the car. in the case of an accident it will burn.
as for the ground, i would run a ground to chassis that is about 1.5 feet long with 2/0 cable, then another cable to the stock cabling under the hood.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so 2 gauge at the minimum huh. what do you recomend? 2 or 0?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts