Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem:
I'm moving from Maryland to San Diego, California in a month and I need to get two cars out there. My girlfriend has a 2000 Mustang GT and I have a 2001 focus. We will be doing this ourselves with the aid of a U-Haul truck and car dolly. How can we get both cars out there without going through the hassle of following the truck with the second car? Money is a factor.

Potential solution #1:
I have looked into having either car shipped. The best estimates I received were in the ballpark of $800. That is almost as much as the U-Haul will cost me and I’m leery of the risk of damage.

Potential solution #2:
The truck door is 7’3” wide and the focus is 5’7” wide according to ford. I’m currently in California on business so I can’t measure my car, does anyone know if this is from mirror to mirror? I can build ramps at my dads welding shop and I think I can just drive the car into their largest truck.
Potential risks include the car moving inside the truck and scraping bottom while entering the truck (my car is lowered). There is not much to tie it down to inside and it has an aluminum floor so I can’t just screw some blocking down. The largest truck is only $200 more than the size we need and allegedly the fuel consumption is not much worse. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
316 Posts
<font color="blue"> if your car is lowered then you will have to make the ramps very very long... i really don't see your car moving that much from side to side worse case scenario is buy body pillows for the car... if the mirrors protrude too much you can always disconnect them i know for a fact that it should fit in the car. my father in law had rented 1 he place a king size bed sideways in it and they are extremely long longer than a focus's width and it fit fine...if you do it please be careful...worse comes to worse ship it.. but if you can do it do it....how much stuff will you be moving hopefull not a lot if so i don't know how you are going to fit the stuff in there... </font>

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't see your car moving AT ALL ..

but that is a lot of weight in the back of the truck.. Check out the truck's ratings to be sure it can handle that plus everything you're carrying PLUS towing a 2nd car!

And don't fill up the car because you're going to have to crawl out of the hatch/trunk

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
Judging from the measurements you gave for the Uhaul, I would guess that you are looking at the medium sized one. If I remember correctly, those are rated @ 18000 GVW. So by the time you had it all loaded with vehicles and your belongings, you're going to be heavy. Bear in mind, you are going to have to go through the Rockies. Those mountains kill alot of trucks. Not only will you have to go up... But then you need to use those woefully undersized brakes to go down. Can you say brake fade? Not to mention that you will have no way to secure the Focus inside the
van.

PS: No matter what you do, make sure that whatever truck you decide to rent... Get a diesel, not a gas, you'll appreciate it when it comes time to go uphill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts