Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you outside of Calif, internal combustion here in California is held hostage by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). We are not legally allowed to do much to make our rides perform to their optimum. My question is, what aftermarket products are there out there that will be street legal here in the Golden State? I currently have a COOLFLO intake (also have a ICEMAN which I took off for the COOLFLO), a MAGNAFLOW catback exhaust, FOCUS SPORT udp and plug wires. Thanks, you guys (gals) are the best.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well the AEM CAI is pending CARB legality, Maganflow probably is CARB legal but not sure on it. You can pretty much get away with any mod that is an internal upgrade, as long as it's not extremely visual.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I was wondering this too regarding cams and cam gears, you know the internals that give you all the power.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
You have to remember, there are only 2 things that SMOG police check (unless your forced to go to a smog referee). That is the actual sniffer results, and a visual test, which usually is comprised of "Hey there's an engine in there, anything look out of place? Nope?? well ok then off we go with the sniffer."

They cannot tear apart your engine to see your cams. They cannot see your internals at all. Heck even a Smog Referee won't go that far. So that stuff is safe.

This has alot of the legal information, but like I said, they don't and can't check many of these things:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm#additional

[ 10-25-2002, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: belacyrf ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Voortrek3:
I currently have a COOLFLO intake (also have a ICEMAN which I took off for the COOLFLO), a MAGNAFLOW catback exhaust, FOCUS SPORT udp and plug wires. Thanks, you guys (gals) are the best.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You should use the iceman and coolflo together. It'll give you the best results.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What aftermarket products are there out there that will be street legal here in the Golden State?

You should ingnore the answers that in effect say do what ever you want as long as you don't get caught. Police, in a routine stop can cite you for "tampering with emissions controls." To find out what parts fall under these tampering laws look here.

I currently have a COOLFLO intake (also have a ICEMAN which I took off for the COOLFLO), a MAGNAFLOW catback exhaust, FOCUS SPORT udp and plug wires.

Replacement air filters in the stock air box are allowed, but intakes like CoolFlow or even Iceman require the manufacturer to apply for exemption from the anti-tampering laws or sell them "for offroad use only." Knight Engineering, which manufactures the Iceman has obtained this exemption. When I spoke with someone at Focus Sport he said they have no intention of applying for the exemption, so the CoolFlow is illegal to install on a California car. More info on legal intakes can be found here.

I believe all of the cat-back systems are legal, because they are located after the emissions equipment.

Plug wires are also legal as long as they meet manufacturers specifications (I assume all do).

As for the UDP, I would think this would be legal as well. It is not an internal engine part, and it is not one of the external engine parts listed in the guidelines.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The cool flo can not be carb legal, it uses a breather filter for the PCV. The only intakes I'm aware of with CARB certs are the AEM short ram and the K&N FIPK. A black iceman would probably never be noticed, though a colored one might raise suspicion.

For exhaust anything goes as long as it is after the cat loudness is the only legal issue. There are 2 headers that are CARB legal, JBA and Edelbrock. I've seen the CARB #'s on the actual units. High flow cats are a grey area. The catalytic converter cannot be moved from its orignal location and can only be replaced if "needed" (ie orinal cat gets damaged or something) before 50,000 miles. After 50k miles it appears that replacement is legal.

as mentioned above internal stuff is only a problem if you don't pass the sniffer test. I'd recomend cams with minimal overlap (Kents from FocusSport for example) for best chances of still running "clean".

The thing to remember about CARB is that actual emmisions aren't their priority, if it was why would you do more than a sniffer test. Clean is clean, no? They are staffed with anti car fanatics who do everything they can to discourage car ownership. Anyone recall the the 50cents a gallon tax on gas, 3 cents per mile "road use" tax and $3500 surcharge on Trucks, van and SUV's they were and still are pushing for?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
**** carb legal, get a raceheader, turbo and everything you can....im tired of carb legal this carb legal that.

These cars burn cleaner then 99.99% of the cars out there, and probably 90% cleaner even with a raceheader...

Just get a high flow cat if you wanna be nice to the enviroment.

But the rest of that carb legal ****, screw it...its rediculous, when a Airfilter is in debate for carb certification...please...

Just be smart and you will be fine.

But to answer your question, you can get a JRSC if you wanna stay fully carb legal, or a aerocharger turbo, which will soon be 50 state legal...

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
LOL Naz.. you dork. What do you mean, do all you can and don't worry about it? We all agree that CARB stuff is CRAP.. but doesn't mean they can't fail you, also doens't mean that IF you ever get a ticket from a cop with an attitude, he can easily ask you to pop your hood, and write you up for everything he sees that's not stock. Then he'll probably send you to a smog referee to get everything cleared.
Oh that'll be fun having to take EVERYTHING off the car returning it to stock leaving only parts with CARB EO's. You're talking your life and wallet into your own hand when you defy the smog dictators of CA.
[edit: didn't know they censor the n-a-z-i word]

[ 10-25-2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: belacyrf ]

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by f242:
do you think my car will pass?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">u better bribe my asss, or im turning you and jon in to the DMV damnit...make u smog ur car on a daily basis...try and explain stand alone to those dorks...ahahhahahahahahaa

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Originally posted by Voortrek3:
I currently have a COOLFLO intake (also have a ICEMAN which I took off for the COOLFLO),
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Like Shiva said.

Put these 2 together, you'll love the Torque and response you'll get from coupling them together!

- Drew

·
Registered
123 Posts
I currently have a cool-flo too, and am a little concerned about the intake issue (I got rid of my stock one, big mistake i guess). I am wondering if I later add an iceman to my cool-flo, and when I get the visual test, I can point to the carb# on the ice-man and go "see! it has carb approval!"?
Will it work?
Maybe I'll just borrow someone's intake when the time comes.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
It would probably be easier to borrow someones stock set up. The other option is to find "a guy" to do your smog check.

I've run acros a new smog check scam. The "faulty gas cap". One of the things they check is the gas cap with a vacuum thingy. Well my mom sold her '89 MBZ 260E the gas cap failed the test. Well it was obvious that the guy doing the test didn't hook up the hose tightly, but he had a cabinet with dozens of gas caps and amazingly he had one to fit my moms car! My dad called him on this obvious scam and the dude got real defensive and would not re check our gas cap. My dad and were ready to walk away but this was the place the buyer wanted to do the test so he bought the $50 gas cap and we went ahead with the sale.

The beauty of the smog check system is that we had "failed" the test after paying. Under CA law the tester only has to retest for free, not give a refund. If you have a problem with the test station your only option is to go to a referee.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by SonicKuz:
It seems like certain (but not all) tire places seem to find things that no other mechanic can find wrong with my car.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">such as?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts