Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ford Focus 4dr Sedan SOHC SPI. What is the best cold air intake for it? I found one specifly for the SE SOHC made by TRUE Flow. Or should buy the bomaz CAI and cut the lip and keep the stock throttle body.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
the best one overall would be one that pulls air from outside the engine bay yet is placed in such a way as not to be prone to flooding. That, in my opinion is either a volant with the ram air adapter or the pipercross intake. Now to muddy the waters. The stock SPI has a good bottom end and tends to huff out a bit quickly. You can either take the long road and try to build the top end or maximize what you already have. If you have an automatic, I suggest the latter. To achieve this, your best bet is a long intake like the AEM. Pick the one with the smallest tube diameter available. (provided it isnt smaller than the MAF) Having a long intake with a reasonable diameter will give you a good intake velocity at low RPM. The object here is to get as much air into the cylanders as possible. With a fast intake charge velocity, you will be increasing your volumetric efficiency over stock. Now, as RPM increases, the length and diameter will start to become a restriction. However, this will not occur in the RPM range that you will be operating in.

now. Come back and see me when you are ready to calculate intake runner length with regard to cam lift and overlap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have an automatic. I found some advise on another forum site. Does anyone agree with it.

The best one is the Volant Intake. I have one on my SPI and the performance gain is remarkable, the only thing is is that it is made for the zetec motor and you would need a larger throttle body (60mm). But if you got the throttle body any zetec aftermarket intake system will fit on the SPI. best way to put an intake on an SPI is with the 60mm TB. the zetec gets all the good intakes. and yeah, volant is generally considered the best. though FS is a good intake as well. and i have heard many a good thing about AEM. also, if you get a CAI, consider a bypass valve to protect against hydrolock.

I have been able to find a "Focus Central Throttle Body 00-02 Zetec" (65mm)for $279 at

http://www.intakesandexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_49_76&products_id=569

Would this do the job?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.