Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i painted my dash a few days ago. it looked great. the next day i went to drive my car and it was all cracked. what happened what did i do wrong i am going to re paint it but i want to do it right this time. i am going to sand it all down again and start from scrach. can soem one plez help me.

tell me what kind of stuff i shoudl buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
usually if you don't sand enough before the actual painting it will crack... also if you did sand but didn't rub off the dust it will cause it to crack.
goldse knows ask him.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's been pretty hot in the NY area lately. If you laid the paint on too thick, or didn't let it dry thoroughly between coats the heat would cause it to wrinkle/crack. I made that mistake years ago on a motorcycle gas tank.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
its something painting parts u can take out of the car and such, they have all been done great.

but ur dash is a different story...and even with "interior/vinyl paint" isn't good either. there is just too much oils and heat in the car to allow the paint to sit.

my suggestion is, if u can allow not to have ur car for a day or two, i would drive it into a place who will paint ur interior...it will cost u some more money, but u will have the dash looking factory done, because they bake it

the only dash and interior completely painted on the jet that i have seen was all white and it was also professionally done

u really should have looked into this before u started it, lesson learned tho

hope this helps

-chris

·
Registered
289 Posts
i just painted my dash black 2 hours ago...

steps taken....

1. clean dash using prep-all wax and grease remover with lint free cloth

2. let sit for 10 minutes to let all liquid dry

3. wipe down with dry lint free cloth remoing anything that might have gotten on dash

4. spray primer on dash( 1 HEAVY coat) and let sit for 1 hour

5. wipe off again using lint free cloth in case some dust may have gotten on it

6. spray black using krylon fusion paint(1 HEAVY COAT)

and now its sitting downstairs over night so the paint will set..it will prolly have until friday to set cuz i go out every thursday for wings and i dont need my focus..ill just use my beater CRX....

******NOTE: I did not use adhesive promoter... i had my dash painted silver professionally last year so there was no need for promoter..after cleaning it the primer stuck to the silver...

Ill go get a pic of it right now....brb...

·
Registered
289 Posts
here ya go.....

and here is how my interior used to look ....

most of it is painted and sitting in the living room of my apartment waiting to be installed ..i have a fiberglass headliner and hatch cover that is going to be painted this weekend(from a fellow jetters hubby).. so i cant reinstall any of it yet becuase the headliner must go in first...

oh yeah..as you notice the last pic is more clearer becuase i used my camcorder to take pics of my dash i just painted and the old interior pic if from a sony digi cam that my girl has with her right now ..the dash and parts do shine more than they show its just that the camcorder takes crappy pics

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
i dont think a "heavy coat" is the way to go..... a few real light coats would be better.......... ive always been told this since day one...

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
i dont think a "heavy coat" is the way to go..... a few real light coats would be better.......... ive always been told this since day one...
so true, with 'scuffing' in between

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
you shouldn't have to scuff in between. light coats, with the next one applied when the coat before it tacks up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
you shouldn't have to scuff in between. light coats, with the next one applied when the coat before it tacks up.
exactly what i did.. i called it a heavy coat because there was no scuffing in between..waited til it got tacky like demon said..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts