Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between 5w30 and 5w20 and I just switched to full synthetic and I used 10w30. Do i need to run and get my oil changed out right away or something?

·
O .
2,372 Posts
don;t worry bout it man its just a lil heavier and with the hott weather it will help a lil you ok man

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Your fine.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
From this HowStuffWorks article:

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
A 10w-30 oil is 10 weight when cold and has the viscosity of a 30 weight oil when hot. That 5 cold weight and 10 hot weight difference is no big thing. Now, if you had put 20w-50 oil in you might have a problem, but even then it probably wouldn't immediately hurt anything to just run it. It just wouldn't flow as well on cold start-ups.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
YOU won't feel a difference, the internals of your engine might. Running a thinner oil won't give you a noticeable amount of power.

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
I don't know man. That's where I think you're wrong. If you drive your car everyday you can feel very minor differences. On my old car I would feel a huge difference with 5W-30 petroleum oil and 5W-30 synthetic oil.

With the 0W-20 the motor felt a BIT smoother and that's about it. NO difference in power though you're right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts