Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my driveway there is a focus. In my room there is a T-2small turbo. I also have a 2g dsm bov. Let's pretend I had an adapter made from the exhaust mani to the turbo, made a dp, intake, and charge piping, and ran the stock MAF. Is it unreasonable to assume 150whp, and that everything would work? Stock injectors are good for 160whp right? With no cat, the ecu should go into limp mode and pull out some timing and run richer, right? I'm not looking for anything sick fast here, but it seems I could make a bit of power by spending the same money that would go into just a header. Would a SAFC help any, lots? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
many cars have no cats with no "limp mode" don't rely on it. Building a turbo setup from scratch isn't that easy, always things u don't think of. But you're on the right track, plan a lot first. lata

g

·
Registered
556 Posts
Umm...you'll need the oil lines
- mine has no cat (shhhh) & is not in limp mode
- Our cars have a "smart"computer & it would learn around the apexi unit - so no, it would be ok for a little bit but it would slowly go back
So, yah...you could make it work, but it would end up being more trouble than you think, but then if you did the piping correct it would be easier to switch out turbos & go the correct route later. Guess it depends on how close you are to getting a mani or adapter & piping...me personally I'd wait & do it all right the first time

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would the stock progam not work, without being in limp mode or without an afc?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I have built my own custome turbo. Trust me, its not as easy as it sounds. I thought it would be as easy as you described but thousands later here I am. My car runs no cat and no egr and it isn't in limp mode. I wouldn't attempt any boost without any sort of management. Yeah so what if your injectors are good to 160hp. You still neeed to address timing and fuel. Like someone else said, I would just wait, do alor of planning and do it all right the first time.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Nah, it's easy enough. Just use some tinsnips to cut and bend the turbine and impeller, attach them to a spare shaft from a vacuum cleaner... then build the housing out of thick gauge exhaust tubing and some scrap metal. Weld it up tight so it doesn't leak. Use a little aluminum foil to seal the intake side up, along with some high temp duct tape, and you're good to go.

For electronics, you should be able to get adequate fueling by splicing the injector grounds to the negative side of the battery through a switch tied to your throttle body. Tie the positive side of the fuel pump directly to the battery for maximum fuel pressure.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I think I detect a tiny bit of sarcasm in omni's post.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
I think I detect a tiny bit of sarcasm in omni's post.
no, he helped me with my car, and it runs great! i dynoed at 5.4WHP!!

no. wait. that is my lawnmower. and i've never met omni.

and i am still asleep.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have built my own custome turbo. Trust me, its not as easy as it sounds. I thought it would be as easy as you described but thousands later here I am. My car runs no cat and no egr and it isn't in limp mode. I wouldn't attempt any boost without any sort of management. Yeah so what if your injectors are good to 160hp. You still neeed to address timing and fuel. Like someone else said, I would just wait, do alor of planning and do it all right the first time.
i second that

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts