Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna run low 15\'s

as of right now i have a volant intake.... what other options should i invest in? also i want a really loud exhaust

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Re: i wanna run low 15\'s

u wont want a real loud exhaust, b/c after only a couple drives will it drive u mad...that and ur 1st fix-it ticket.

also, there's another problem. its simply this. as soon as u hit low 15s which is what u say u wanna run, then u'll wanna run high 14s b/c then it sounds better. this cycling keeps continuing. so just buy the parts u want when u can, then drag, c what each does. work ur way down 2 where u wanna b, but dont fear in tryin 4 more.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
155 Posts

I wuold invest in a upd, cam gears, exhaust, and headers,flexpipe and hi flow cat and maybe a tb.Even with all of this I don't no if 15 is possible...but maybe it is.. Hell... I would like to know also

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

more specifically, i did those 15.1s on nitto drag radial with...

ghetto intake
k+n filter
ported TB
Wires
Diablo
2 pulleys
ORP
flex
Bosal

thats it, timeslips, dynos, parts listing (been updated w/many changes), splits, info, etc r all on my site.

good luck (trust me u dont wanna loud exh)

-Ult

[ 03-25-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
105 Posts

I'm runnin 15.4's with basic mods.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts

Sweet! I feel even better now.

[ 03-25-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: KonaZXIII ]

·
Registered
222 Posts

[ 03-25-2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: redneckZX3 ]

·
Registered
222 Posts

you guys need to remember that it depends on the altitude you are running at taht determines your times. look at my sig and the fastest time i have ran is a 16.0. if you want 15's you will spend alot of money.

geoff

·
Registered
729 Posts

redneck is absolutely right. I ran a very, very, VERY disappointing 16.6 at 83mph with 142hp and 139tq. This was at LACR in Palmdale. The air is so horrible, you can actually feel your car getting slower the closer you get to the track. I've read a lot of people saying they did 15 and 16's with an intake and exhaust, they are all ful of it.

[ 03-25-2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: methknome ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Originally posted by methknome:
redneck is absolutely right. I ran a very, very, VERY disappointing 16.6 at 83mph with 142hp and 139tq. This was at LACR in Palmdale. The air is so horrible, you can actually feel your car getting slower the closer you get to the track. I've read a lot of people saying they did 15 and 16's with an intake and exhaust, they are all ful of it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Air too hot or altitude?

·
Registered
98 Posts

I think it's definitly possible to run a 15 or 16 with basic mods. I ran a 17.1 in my SE sedan with just an AEM short intake in August, and that was with me lifting at the end. I know I would have dipped into the 16's if I had an exhaust. You already have the intake, so I'd go with a header, high flow cat, flexpipe and cat-back system and a decent set a drag radials. Good luck

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

excuse me, i've gone deep into the 15s w/minimal mods. did 2 15.6s and mostly .7/.8s w/only a ported TB, ghetto intake, k+n, and no back seat. that was on stock firestones. i've seen others do it, includin 1 young fella, idk if he's on the jet yet, but right outta the box, did 15.67. he only had an AEM and a Borla. granted he couldnt get a launch of his stock tires the rest of the nite and only did 15.8/9s the rest of the nite, still its b'g done.

projectzx3 did 15.8s w/only his borla. both of these cars were also on stock tires and full interiors. djwirfel did a couple 15.8s as well w/an intake (idk which, he has 4 different 1s lol) and a bosal. i could go on and on, but the thing is...it can b done. heck, we have autos w/only a ported TB doin 16.4s.

dont fret b/c u cant get the job done or b/c ur atmospheric is quite high and thus physics prevents u from doin it.

all our tracks down here r between 30-330ft above sea level. so what we do is a real close representation of what the car could do in an 'scientific experimentation' situation.

good luck,

-Ult

[ 03-26-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
55 Posts

Altitude has pretty big effect on 1/4 mile ET's. I am part of a car club that runs mostly at Englishtown in NJ. We went to island dragway a few times which is about 500' higher and everyone is consistantly slower by about 0.3 seconds. It is amazing how much a few hundered feet in elevation change affects your 1/4 mile times.

Also, everyone in my club that has run at Cecil dragway in Maryland (I think this is where Ult got his remarkable times) have gotten their personal bests there. It is a fast track and I think anyone that can drive and has similar mods that Ult had can run low 15's there.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

good analysis, however i find cecil by far the hardest 2 launch at. fortunately i repeated my times down at capitol dear DC, which has an even worse launchbox. my PR occured here.

and not just any1 can pull those times at cecil. ask bacon. he could only muster 15.1 there and he had far more than i did. others 2. but anyways, yes atmospheric does skew the times a great deal dependin on severity.

prolly gonna b at cecil this friday 2 c what i can do stock cams/head/header/cat/full interior.

i will say that MIR in budds creek md is prolly the fastest track on the east coast if not close. it sits a mere 30ft above sea level and lots of records r set there. might have 2 hit that place up 1 time, still havent been.

gl,

-Ult

[ 03-26-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
55 Posts

So Cecil is hard to launch at? I dont want to hear that!!!
I want to get down there some time this summer. I was there a few times last summer but have never raced there. Ult, what kind of 60's were you getting when you got those low times? I picked up a set of Nitto DR on 14" rims and the best 60' I got was 2.20. I think I can get lower if i play with my launch a bit. I only have about 5 runs on them so I dont have much experience with them yet.

If you ever end up going to MIR let me know. If i'm not busy I'll head out there with you and see what we can do.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

there's 1 of em from last sept. its not that its hard, its tricky. very fine line between spin all day and hook 'n' bog. planning on goin w/some friends fri nite 4 TnT/Street Grudge Nite.

i have same drags, size and all, they need 2 track nites and 2 fair length drives round town b4 they come in. yes, u'll have 2 experiment, and it will change big time from track 2 track.

-Ult

[ 03-26-2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

this is the dyno, i later added a diablo and a flex when those runs were made on drag radials.

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
8,272 Posts

its not tricky, its what track youre on, i bet on that same track i would run 13.5 instead of 14.0...

feel me? tracks are a HUGE difference, there are 2 tracks here within 100 miles of me, at 1 track, on the same setup, i ran [email protected] back when i was NA, went to the other track(sears point) same setup, EXACTLY with tons of launches and couldnt manage more than a [email protected]

tracks make a big difference.

I just dont see a nearly stock focus, at least at my tracks, to run a 15

The best ive seen a stock focus run here was in the low 17's...and a few in the high/mid 16's with 1 or 2 bolt ons...

When i was just bolt ons, exhuast, intake, pulleys, TB, and street header, i only managed low 16's...

[ 03-26-2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts