Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my warranty expired the dealer asked me 70$+ tax for checking the car because the MIL lighted up.Of course I refused to give him that money and I was thinking what to do.I stop by to AutoZone to get my oil and filter for the next service and I saw in the window of the store "free check engine if your MIL is on".I was curious and I asked the guy in the shop and he told me takes few seconds to check the engine and erase the fault from the car computer.He came out with a device in the size of big calculator made by ACTRON named GLOBAL OBDII SCAN TOOL and really in few seconds he diagnosed that my car had a vaccum hose leak and also specify that it was very small giving also the code error #.After he erase the fault and the MIL light went off.I asked how much and he told me 149$+TAX.Does anybody test that tool? is something better out there even if is a bit more expensive? I need your expert advice.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I use both a PC based software:

OBD-2

as well as a Palm based software:

Auterra

Both work very well. The PC s/w displays a boatload of data, very useful. The Palm version displays less info, but is compact. Both display codes & literal and can reset the MIL.

Peace!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea, i got an Actron one from a discount auto. Its an orange handheld one. I like it alot, it tells you the code and the description and can erase them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Danny,
When I spoke with you the other night about an SC Microtuner for the Focus, you said it was only available for the Powerstroke.

Originally posted by Cajun:
I have a Hellion I would sell for $150.00.
Bought it a year ago, used it twice, now we have the Micro Tuner with diagnostic capazbilities.
Carries full warranty as new.
Later
DT
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
799 Posts
John: It is available for the PSD and the V 8 and V 10 gas trucks and SUV's. We have no "tuner" for the Focus. I now drive a 2002 Harley Davidson truck and use the micro tuner as a diagnostic tool. . The Gas Micro Tuner will diagnose and reset ANY Ford vehicle code, providing the vehicle has an EEC V. The diagnostic portion of the tuner will work on ALL Ford EEC V.
Later
DT

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the Actron. Good quality and it's priced right. I got it at Pep Boys. It displays the code and provides a code description.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts