Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Where is my @#$ antenna?!
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a stiffer, flatter ride but don\'t want to lower

That is my current height, stock suspension, but with P225/45R17 rubber. The taller sidewall is nice with the roads here, and frankly I like how the beefy tires look on the car.

I tend to rub, not very badly and only if I hit a really large dip in the pavement, but I am pretty sure a stiffer spring or more aggressive shock would cancel that altogether.

So basically I'm looking for a stiffer ride, with less body roll, but I don't want the car any lower. What are my options?

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
Re: I want a stiffer, flatter ride but don\'t want to lower

SVT suspension is probably your best option. I know you dont want to lower your car, but it doesnt lower it more than half an inch. I have JUST put my SVT suspension on this weekend, and honestly i cant tell too much visable difference but the handling difference is night and day.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Konis and bars will provide you with what you want.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

Perzackly!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts

Yup, Konis and bars will work. You'll be amazed at just how much Koni's alone will help. The lion's share of the roll in a stock Focus is because of the soft shocks.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

If you DO install bars, I'd recommend a 21/21 or 21/22 combo as a starting point... don't go real big on stock springs, but even a mm or two makes a big difference.

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts

That too

But i am just sooo happy with my SVT suspension right now

·
Registered
144 Posts

GAZ now makes longer-shaft struts and shocks for the standard-height Focus. I think B.A.T. may even have a set of the struts in stock. I'm using the shocks.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Anyone thought about the RS suspension? I know the rears would work and I am quite sure the fronts would work as well.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts

Anyone thought about the RS suspension?
Hard as a rock from what I've read in some British mags...

Just miserable on B roads.

However, they've said that the RS is absolutely the best point-and-shoot device ever.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

I will have to find my friend Berndt and test drive his Focus RS to find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Bars will not give you that much stiffer suspension. The use of large bars will make you slower if you race (I'm guessing you don't), reducing the independence of your suspension. Springs first, then bars to tune. I am in the same boat as you, so I got adjustable coilovers (Konis and Ground Controls - I dunno if they are available for the Focus), which let me keep stock ride height and seriously increase spring rate. This helps with lift and dive as well, something you'll not see with swayabrs.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

umm..coliover is the answer, they are stiffer than most lowering spring. and you can keep the height you want.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

I would most definitely recommend against coilovers for this application.

Konis, combined with a 22mm rear bar would be fantastic.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Bars will not give you that much stiffer suspension.
No? They won't? I guess I was wrong when I thought that a sway bar was a spring, and going to a bigger sway bar would add roll resistance. I've been wrong before.....

The use of large bars will make you slower if you race (I'm guessing you don't), reducing the independence of your suspension.
What famous chassis guru was it that swore by big bars? A prize to the first person that knows.

This helps with lift and dive as well, something you'll not see with swayabrs.
A nice set of dampers can do wonders for controlling body roll.

Before you go off and buy some expensive coil-overs, I'd first invest in some Koni's and see if that yields the desired results. If not, try upgrading to larger sway bars.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Bars will tighten up a vehicle, but coilovers really make a world of difference. You probably can't go too stiff on bars with what's available now with stiffer springs, but with soft stock springs you might be getting too much roll resistance from the bars - super stiff bars have their place: with stiff springs.

I'd try this: get Konis and swaybars, something big but not huge. If you're happy with the improvements (less roll, faster turn-in, tighter subjective feel), then great! If not, chop the perches and put coilovers on them.

·
Registered
264 Posts

SVT suspension is probably your best option. I know you dont want to lower your car, but it doesnt lower it more than half an inch. I have JUST put my SVT suspension on this weekend, and honestly i cant tell too much visable difference but the handling difference is night and day.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of starting my own topic!

I also put on the SVT suspension this weekend my install replaced a set of Eibach Sportlines and KYB shocks... the car was stiff and slammed prior to the SVT install, I wasnt crazy about the look or the ride quality. Its a daily driver, not a track car.

This morning was the first time I got to drive the car with abandon... My route to work includes a tight, right hand onway ramp which I was able to hit at 60 MPH before the car got loose, with the new set up I was able to hit only about 52-55 MPH before I had to back down.

This ramp is glass smooth new asphalt, the rest of my commute isnt, so the SVT Kit works out really well, because in the real world, my car handles better in general, and its much more comfortable. No regrets especialy for the $$$

If you can afford the Koni's many have suggested, go for it, but for short $ the SVT Kit is awesome, also , remember the Key to control is having decent rubber, and then keeping as much of that rubber on the ground, in as big as a contact patch as you can, for as long as you can... soft shocks, stiff shocks, lowered or stock height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts