Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a weekend.

Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through these things, then there's things that remind me.

My road to Jetfest started last week on Monday. I bought a hitch for Dato's truck so I could use it to tow my car to the track. On Wednesday I gave him the hitch so he could get it installed. On Wednesday night I began installing my oil cooler.

Here's the timeline from there.

Thursday

12:00PM Leave to go meet Dato at U-Haul where his truck was having the hitch installed and get the trailer.
3:00 Leave U-Haul with tow dolly because they wouldn't trust the hitch to hold a trailer.
11:00 Give up on Oil Cooler install, leave core installed and put filter back on. Load car onto dolly. Decide that I don't like the car on the dolly, back it off, move everything that was loaded into the truck into the car. Not such a good day.

Friday (good day)

12:00AM Go to sleep.
4:00 Wake up. Leave house in car.
11:00 Arrive at California Speedway without any issues. Meet up with Egz, Leo, Sleeperlove, Allan, etc.
2:00PM Arizona arrives. Meet up with them, go to lunch with Massive, Chewy, Kona. Hang out for the rest of the day with various people.
9:00PM Lorin, Jen, Ryan, and Leslie meet up with me at the track and we go to Outback for dinner. Great day overall.

Saturday

5:00AM Wake up, shower, go to track with Lorin.
6:00AM Start installing sandwich adapter and oil lines which were provided by Ryan.
8:30AM (One hour before first session) Start car with oil cooler hooked up, blow a quart of Mobil 1 all over the ground. Decide oil filter is too small, go to Pep Boys with Lorin to find a bigger one. From reading, I've seen that C4 Corvette oil filters use the same thread pitch. With this knowledge we begin punching cars into the computer to try and find an oil filter smaller than a C4 Vette's, and bigger than an MX-6's, with the same thread pitch (with no way of measuring). On a limb Lorin puts in a 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. The filter is the right diameter, but we can't tell if the thread pitch is right. We decide to go with it, and head back to the track. We put filter on, tighten it up, and it holds. Success, and I only missed one session. No major loss.
12:00PM Get in car to start second session. Clutch engages VERY low and car barely goes in gear. I drive to grid and as I roll in, clutch goes to floor without disengaging and won't come back up. I abandon car in grid and run back to pit. I run over to Arizona's pit area and find Chewy. He grabs a brake bleeder and fluid and drives me back to the pit. I get in the car and start it in gear and drive it back to pit clutchless. We jack it up and bleed the clutch line which appears to have a mixture of $1.00 coffee and mud. Clutch works. Two missed sessions, no big deal.

The rest of Saturday and most of Sunday went as planned. Car ran GREAT, we had LOTS of fun, Pizza and F1 while hanging out with the Dez was a highlight for sure, everything was great. My car even got a new paint job.

The timeline continues.

Sunday

7:00PM Car is all packed up, I leave Jetfest 2 with Brads03ZX3 and Ashley to go get some food and drive part of the way back together. As we're driving down the access road outside the track, my accessory belt snaps. We limp the car to Autozone and begin figuring out what to do to make it work. It's a 3-rib alternator with a 5-rib crank and PS pump pulley, and the alternator has been relocated. Autozone has no 3-rib belts. We try a 5-rib belt that is just a tad too short. We get a longer one that is only 4-ribs. It fits. We complete the task of getting it tight with no tensioner, just an adjustable alternator bracket.
9:00 Leave Autozone with working alternator, grab some Carls Jr. and hit the road.
10:30 Decide to call it a night and pull off at the Country Side Inn in Sylmar.

Monday

8:00AM Wake up, check out, leave.
12:00PM Get ticket for doing 94 in a 65. I was doing responsible speeds the whole way home, but I got within an hour of my house and started to ache to get home. I was irresponsible and I deserved the ticket.
1:30 Arrive home.

I owe thank-yous to a a lot of people. I'm gonna forget a couple, and I'm sorry, it in no way means I am not grateful for your contribution to my weekend.

Omnifocus - Thanks for your help keeping the car running, moral support, being an awesome friend.
Queen Jade - Even with a baby in the belly you kept me going. Thanks Mom.
lowlifestyle - Brought me oil lines, gave me guidance, helped me keep her running.
Mrs. Blue - Drove me places, gave me sunblock, gave me a bed to sleep in, kept me going. Thanks Mom.
Brads03ZX3 and his fiance Ashley - Helped me pack up the car, gave me cookies, and then spent two hours in an Autozone parking lot with me getting the car back together when they could have been half way home.
Dato - For offering his truck, working with me to get it ready, and for pumping my clutch.
FocalFury - Thanks for the paint job. :p
Focaljet-1 - Thanks for the event, the shirt, and the honor of handing out pit passes.
Dez - Each one of you deserves an individual thank you. Tools, transport, guidance, you guys were there for me. :thumbup:
Mexy - For being the only one awake at 6AM when I got to the track on Sunday and giving me someone to talk to. Thanks for the food too. :p
Slidemaster - Food, guidance, stickers, an awesome track companion.
wallygator - Keeping me on my toes on track, making sure I don't miss downloads. Great guy to run with.
Dukman - Always a pleasure to hang out with you, thanks for making the trip.
Egz and Foo - Moral support, transportation, taking care of my baby better than I ever did.
Ataru and Christie - Awesome moral support, always fun to just be around you guys. Thanks for making the trip.
Sleeperlove and Sleeper's love - Great to finally meet you guys, thanks for the support and helping keep me going through the weekend. Hope to see you more often.
Mr. Bad Lotus Man Who Drinks Guinness and Gets Hit On By The Ladies at Boston's - Thanks for the ride. :D

Everyone that signed the car - Thanks. It's uplifting to get out at a gas station and see all your names.

Everyone that came - You made this an amazing event that I will never forget. Thank you.

The cop - :thumbdown for giving a ticket to a dude that has 'SEXY TIME' written on his bumper while the Maxima in front of me was going even faster.

Again, sorry to anyone who I forget. You are not forgotten in my heart (omg sappy) and I appreciate all you did.

·
I'm black below the waist
2,739 Posts
Oh, fine then. See if I ever pump your clutch again.

=P I keed, I keed.

Man, you gonna love the pics I got from sat. :lol:

"Tipe R" FTW!

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D'oh! See I knew it! Sorry Dave, added ya.

·
I'm black below the waist
2,739 Posts
haha, joo know I was just kidding. Speaking of trucks, you wanna stop by and swap cars? I miss my baby.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
It was cool hanging out with you bro! :thumbup: I can totally understand the feeling with the ticket :( Got one coming back from FOTB last year. And a Lotus at full song in the tunnel on the 10 sounds awesome :evilgrin:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sounds about like my weekend...crazy...but that made it more fun! You can't really plan this stuff...you just go with the flow.

Thanks to you Frushy! Till next time. :)

·
mani i love dongs
7,048 Posts
Here ya go frushy, your very own pictures for your very own thread!

(Disclaimer: No Crack Was Harmed During the Taking of These Pictures
)

·
Take a Bite of My Burrito!
3,139 Posts
chewbacca said:
Here ya go frushy, your very own pictures for your very own thread!

(Disclaimer: No Crack Was Harmed During the Taking of These Pictures
)
The only crack that got damaged was yours...spooning in an RV is great. BTW: Next time you come that early bring some freakin Coffee.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
thefrush said:
Sunday

7:00PM Car is all packed up, I leave Jetfest 2 with Brads03ZX3 and Ashley to go get some food and drive part of the way back together. As we're driving down the access road outside the track, my accessory belt snaps. We limp the car to Autozone and begin figuring out what to do to make it work. It's a 3-rib alternator with a 5-rib crank and PS pump pulley, and the alternator has been relocated. Autozone has no 3-rib belts. We try a 5-rib belt that is just a tad too short. We get a longer one that is only 4-ribs. It fits. We complete the task of getting it tight with no tensioner, just an adjustable alternator bracket.
9:00 Leave Autozone with working alternator, grab some Carls Jr. and hit the road.
10:30 Decide to call it a night and pull off at the Country Side Inn in Sylmar.
I'm tired...really tired. I fell asleep when I was driving home, I fell asleep in my class. Well worth it.

I was so close to leaving your ass there. My last session was supposed to be over at 5:40, but I got moved to B group, so an extra 20 minutes. Oh well. I even considered skipping my last session to get a jump on the drive home. Ashley and I both had homework due Monday (well hers was due Sunday at midnight). Because us norcalfolks are a huge family (several moms, uncles, and a whole bunch of brothers and sisters), I stuck around, Ashley got filthy packing away Alex's track tires, I surgically removed the trunk lid as it was taped solid to the rear corner panels. Okay, about 7:30 departure time, 45 minutes later than I expected. I'm over it. 300 feet later, Alex's belt stops squealing. Then the car stops rolling. Alex steps out and lifts the hood. I can only imagine the worst. He tells me the accessory belt snapped. I told him to get the car out of the speedway so it doesn't get locked inside the gates. Ashley called 1-800-FREE-411 (write that number down if you don't already know it) and found an autozone that was 2 blocks away from our hotel. I convinced Alex to limp the car 4 miles through the middle of Fontana in the dark with no headlights. We tried a stock size MX6 belt with no success, and made another one work. 2 hours, a couple of burns and cuts later, the poor guy treats us to dinner and we are finally on our way home. We got to sleep at 2 in the morning. Doesn't sound too bad, but cumulatively, we got about 12 hours of sleep in the previous 4 days. Don't plan on doing that again soon.

I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love you man (the beer commercial kind of way, not the goofy clothes/shoes kind of way)

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
You guys performed well! :thumbup: :bow: :party: :rock: :arr:

It was great to watch, but, dammit, I want to be on track next time. :rant:

Great pics too, btw... but, seriously, that snorting pic has to go.

Seriously. :what:

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
When we were at the pizza place, I asked them not to post it. See how powerful I am :dunno:

·
Registered
2002 Sonic Blue SVT
419 Posts
You made it home Frush!! Most excellent weekend is right!! We will tangle more at the next one!!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
brads03zx3 said:
When we were at the pizza place, I asked them not to post it. See how powerful I am :dunno:
I DIDNT POST MINE

someone else posted a pic
i have some paint job pics i'll post in here in a bit

had an excelent time hangin out with ya
its always fun
wish you were closer

D A N N Y

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
FocalFury said:
I DIDNT POST MINE

someone else posted a pic
i have some paint job pics i'll post in here in a bit

had an excelent time hangin out with ya
its always fun
wish you were closer

D A N N Y
Thanks danny, I appreciate it.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Massive said:
It was cool hanging out with you bro! :thumbup: I can totally understand the feeling with the ticket :( Got one coming back from FOTB last year. And a Lotus at full song in the tunnel on the 10 sounds awesome :evilgrin:
BTW, thanks to you for letting me take your ride for a spin, boosted duratec is VERY NICE I VERY EXCITE! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts