Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is someone selling the Tochigi Fuji LSD for the SVT's Getrag transaxle????

Thank you for reading....

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I was reading up on lsds the other day. Found there are two types of lsds. If I was reading right...with the quiafe you will still do a "peg leg" burn out, but get the 50/50 split to the wheels on the launch. Also, you will get better handling with the quaife on cornering when compared to the other type. The other type...clutch something another...is meant more for drag racing and not as good as the quiafe at the twisties. Could some one give me the whole story on this? I am confused as to why you would still get a one wheel burnout, but then on the launch get the 50/50 split to the wheels for better traction with the quiafe. It was in a magazine, now of course I cant recall the car, or what magazine this was in...sorry not any help...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
quaife and torsen are gear-based, like a 'locker' that you might have heard of. unlike the kaaz and others which are clutch types. those diffs are more suited to rally use where frequent instances of the wheel coming up off the ground. quaife and torsen can cause 1 wheel to burn, thats on initial throttle. the diff will then send power to the wheel w/MOST resistance (and thus start to burn the other wheel as well, you'll see alot of muscle cars and new ponies w/diffs start to heat up 1, then the other comes in). this unlike a open-diff which gives the power to the wheel w/LEAST resistance. thus 1-wheel burnout.

hope this helps

-Ult

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
thank you very much. exactly what i wanted to know. i was wondering why some mustangs i have seen did burnouts like that. I though their lsd was going out or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts