Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the video on the install of the Iceman CAI and I had a question after watching it. What is so special about the Iceman CAI, all I am seeing is replacing the factory hoses with a more rigid hose. Does anyone have any clue about it? Also what does the extra piece, the elbow lookin one do? Where do yall recommend me gettin one?
Thanks for your help.

Justin Weaver

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It works pretty well. It gives a better airflow than stock and it conserves your low end.

I got a cool-flo to supplement it and that combination rocked. Then I got a trade to an AEM CAI. that one was really nice too, except it sucks up water.

iceman+coolflo = AEM CAI in my opinion

iceman by itself is a nice enhancement, however it just makes me want more.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
Then I got a trade to an AEM CAI. that one was really nice too, except it sucks up water.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HAHAHAHA water is heavier than air bud, unless your driving through rivers, its not sucking up any water. THAT's the simple explantion. Dont make me haul out the mechanics on you

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have an Iceman and like it just fine. It definately has better throttle response than stock and it has a nice sound too. What I really like is that if you get it in black (like mine is), it looks like an O.E. Part--in fact, Iceman has a Ford Racing part number (but only in blue). The "elbow" replaces the resonator on the stock airbox and has an opening behind the driver side headlight area.

My overall thought is this--the SVT intake for 170+ hp shares the same basic design as the regular Zetec (and SPI for that matter). The SVT has a bigger snorkle and no resonator--which is basically what the Iceman gives you, but because the Iceman is plastic it is nice and smoothe too. I am sure it is not the "optimal" setup, but it is certainly better performing than stock, but it looks stock (stealthy and draws no attention when in for warranty/service), and is reasonably priced at about $200 (New Edge Performance).
My $0.02!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Oh it was definitely sucking up water in rain.
No puddles, but definite rain.

The day I installed it, it was a heavy downpour and It was bogging like a mofo.

Next couple days it was good because of no rain. I drove up to traverse city and it was bogging again during rain (no puddles, just light rain for 4 hours).

As long as you keep the rpms around 2000-3000 I didn't create enough vacuum to suck up rain, but if I wanted to pass someone and the revs climbed...I had to watch out.

I think part of the problem was that the filter wasn't cleaned and oiled so that the cotton/paper (whatever K&N is) was just getting water soaked in some parts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I switch from short ram to ice-man half-yr ago, and I can tell you that the ice-man give you a lot more mid-range than the short ram. And more important to me is the short ram is loud, it is even louder than my magnaflow and the ice-man really help me on that. The down side is the ice-man will not rev as happy as the open air.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Iceman and AEM CAI are both good intakes. Our dyno of the Iceman showed about 6-7 hp (mostly low to midrange) at the wheels where as the AEM CAI showed about 7-8 hp (mostly top end) at the wheel. Now on the torque side, the Iceman yielded about 9-10 ft/lbs of torque where as the AEM actually showed a slight loss in torque. I think this was also shown with the Sport Compact Car project Focus. The Iceman dyno was done before the addition of the resonator duct so there should be a bit more gains.

The Iceman is definitely a good system, especially if your are looking for that low-end to mid-range power.

The Iceman is available through Modern Performance for $219.99!with free shipping.<br .>
Laterz!
Gerardo Garcia III

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Originally posted by G:
The Iceman and AEM CAI are both good intakes. Our dyno of the Iceman showed about 6-7 hp (mostly low to midrange) at the wheels where as the AEM CAI showed about 7-8 hp (mostly top end) at the wheel. Now on the torque side, the Iceman yielded about 9-10 ft/lbs of torque where as the AEM actually showed a slight loss in torque. I think this was also shown with the Sport Compact Car project Focus. The Iceman dyno was done before the addition of the resonator duct so there should be a bit more gains.

The Iceman is definitely a good system, especially if your are looking for that low-end to mid-range power.

The Iceman is available through Modern Performance for $219.99 with free shipping.

Laterz!
Gerardo Garcia III
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

More good stuff about Iceman.

It can be converted to a "cone filter on a stick" 1/4 race set up with some ingenuity at a race track.

For Rally X the Iceman keeps things cleaner IMO.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just installed mine last weekend. I don't have any dyno #, but it feels more powerful. I usually average around 26-27 MPG in town, but I got 29.3 MPG after the Iceman.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
If your good at making things work, buy the SVT hose for $25 from the ford dealer. Then cut the bottom of your airbox to fit. If you need new plastic, use the horn from the stock one. Then stick the stock intake in the resonator port. Sounds great, definate power gains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts