2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep it simple

SVT suspension.
SVT brakes
180hp 2.3 Duratec
MTX75 with a 4.06 Final drive
Non leather sport seats optional Recardos
Standard 16in wheel optional 17in wheels.
possible LSD.

Styling: I don't care.

price 17,500. loaded 20,000

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
and the SVT can be an RS that was brought over.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Isn't there a better tranny than the mtx5?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
haha.. you want the getrag?? Rated at a whoppping 155 ft/lbs of torque?

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
SVT Springs
Adjustible Shocks (Koni or Spax)
If not much heavier, 4 wheel disc brakes
2.3l, 180 sounds good
Quiaffe LSD
Nice cloth race seats

Oh yea, no fancy crap. No leather, no 24 speaker sound system, maybe a sunroof as an option.

Kinda like a Focus ACR. I'd think that would sell.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
hate to be poopy, but the great SVT guys already built that car more or less (Comp) and corporate didn't give a [censored], so I doubt they'll put any time into a PZEV version.

ok.... as an idea?
same thing they built.
PZEV version.
done.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
hate to be poopy, but the great SVT guys already built that car more or less (Comp) and corporate didn't give a [censored], so I doubt they'll put any time into a PZEV version.

ok.... as an idea?
same thing they built.
PZEV version.
done.
You forget that the Focus is getting all new Engines next spring. I don't find it hard to believe that a GT Verison couldnt be done on the cheap...just take the FI off the SVT engine
...just like the Cobra and Mach 1

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
There is no FI on the SVT engine...

The comp car is a 180whp, with lightened flywheel, sparco seats, OZ wheels, bigger brakes etc... it has everything everyone is listing.

I think Ford is giving up on the tuner market. I mean they are hardly working to make it easier to tune their cars, and with the probably loss of the SVT focus because of poor sales, I'm not sure a GT version would do much better.

Unfortunately Ford sees cars like the SRT-4 and Mazdaspeed Protoge and they think that there is no market for it. I dunno.. I just don't think Ford understands the North American Market.

Luckily for them, they understand trucks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Maybe if they would put SOMETHING into a sedan, that might help. Lets face it, the Mach was the closest thing we've ever had to a performance sedan. Ford's really screwing the pooch with this crap. They're not giving speed enthusiasts ANYTHING to work with, unless you're willing to spend $55k on a Cobra-R. And that, by the way, is still slower than a Z06, but the Ford costs about $3k more....and the Vette has comfort options that Ford dropped. The Mustang GT isnt that impressive. You can get a Japanese sedan that'll whoop it on a straightaway, kill it in the twisties, and doesnt feel like the frame is gonna twist like a hammock on every turn over 10 mph.

They've killed the SHO.
They killed the Contour SVT (which wasnt very impressive anyway)
No Focus sedan with any kind of performance (sorry Zetec fans, but its true)
Crown Vic isnt that fast...they dont even give the cops a better engine
ZX2? I actually thought this bad boy was cancelled about 3 years ago til I saw one on the lot.

So much for tapping the performance-sedan market...and now they're completely bailing out on the tuners. Way to go Ford!

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is no FI on the SVT engine...
bela, I think you missed Silver's "
".

I like a Focus GT idea patterned off of the old LX5.0 Mustang approach. A No-nonsense, dump the foglights, no-HIDs, no-sunroof, no-leather 5-speed w/4.06 diff, 2.3 Duratech with 170-180 hp, SVT suspension and brakes, and 16" ZX3 wheels for $17k.

Then, there won't be such a gap between the ZX3 and the 240hp FI SVTF

·
Registered
723 Posts
i think a focus GT along the lines of what most of you have recommended would be a great idea. like BlackSVT mentioned it would be much like the LX 5.0: cheap, fast, and everything the normal 5.0 GT was without all the fluff.

i know others have said the same thing but if ford produced a focus ZX3 with a 180ish duratech 23, 5 speed MTX-75 with 4.06, LSD (please
), the SVTF's brakes on 16" wheels, along with the SVTF's suspension for 18-20K i would buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
what needs to happen is bill needs to take his accountants
and shoot them.

He needs to take Coletti and force him to take the focus (the entire model range) under his wing as well. In fact, much as I ahte to say it, he needs to leave the V8's on the back burner a while and cook up modern, new SVT versions of the focus, futura, and whatever SUV fits the bill. Even a freestar (i'll always have a soft spot for my first car)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

ok.... as an idea?
same thing they built.
PZEV version.
done.
You forget that the Focus is getting all new Engines next spring. I don't find it hard to believe that a GT Verison couldnt be done on the cheap...just take the FI off the SVT engine
...just like the Cobra and Mach 1
uh, no didn't forget that, and don't want an SVT motor when the PZEV is clearly a superior long term choice.

Sorry it's hard not to roll the old eyes at this discussion since we beat the living crap out of this horse before the SVT was introduced. We wined loudly about meaningless six-speeds, weight gain, and open diffs....wanting something simple, light, and "hardcore".....and the Comp car was an effective response.....that was canned.

Apparently they won't build a light, grassroots racer version........when you can do it yourself better.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
On that note...Buy a cheap base model 2.3 ZX3. Add some inexpensive bolt-ons and walla! You have yourself a custom built Focus GT.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
On that note...Buy a cheap base model 2.3 ZX3. Add some inexpensive bolt-ons and walla! You have yourself a custom built Focus GT.
and have the hassle of dealing with the dealer when something breaks on it. I rather keep it stock till its out of warrenty and then mod it
Plus its alot easier to go out and buy something like the SVT and have all the mods done for u

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Ford's really screwing the pooch with this crap. They're not giving speed enthusiasts ANYTHING to work with, unless you're willing to spend $55k on a Cobra-R. And that, by the way, is still slower than a Z06, but the Ford costs about $3k more....and the Vette has comfort options that Ford dropped.
What about the 03 Cobra? 390 sand bagged horses, IRS, 6spd, all for 15K less than Z06.

I like the idea of a Focus built like an ACR. I don't want fluff, I just want to GO.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
The focus should have 5 distinct trim levels, available on all body styles.

LX, LX Sport, SE, GT, and GT sport

Optional on ALL trim levels would be the advanced safety system (MSRP $2,999). This would add all wheel disc, anti-lock brakes, with EBD, EBA, Traction control, and Advancetrack Active Stability control system. It would also include side impact, and side curtain airbags (front and rear) with passenger size, and out of position sensors.

<font color="blue"> LX </font> (MSRP $13,999): This is the stripped basic car.
Standard features: 1.8 duratec engine (120 hp) with auto transmission (4 speed) and soft ride suspension.
Exterior: black plastic trim on doors, door handles, trunk, mirrors, 14 inch steel wheels
Interior: 4 speaker AM/FM cassette, manual cloth seats, black and gray accents
Options: Premium package ($1,499); power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, AC, manual sunroof, and a CD/MP3 player.

<font color="blue"> LX Sport </font> (MSRP $17,999): This is the stripped performance car.
Standard Features: Same as LX plus GT sport's powertrain, and suspension.
Exterior: Same as LX, plus Black body kit (like the street edition focus) and 16 inch alloy wheels.
Interior: Same as LX plus sports seats.
Options: Same as LX

<font color="blue"> SE </font> (MSRP $15,999): The most common trim level, the focus for the masses.
Standard Features: 2.0 duratec engine (150 hp), CVT automatic transmission, power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, AC.
Exterior: body colored trim on doors, door handles, trunk and mirrors. 15 inch steel wheels, and euro style halogen headlights.
Interior: 4 speaker CD/MP3 player, Manual cloth seats, black and silver accents.
Options: SE + package ($1,499);15 alloy wheels, 6 disc in dash CD/MP3 player with sub, trip computer, cruse control, power sunroof, map reading lights, and lighted vanity mirrors.

<font color="blue"> GT </font> (MSRP $23,999): This is the fully loaded, luxury focus.
Standard features: 2.3 duratec engine (220 hp) with a sport shiftable CVT transmission, power one touch up/down windows and heated windscreen, power locks, power auto dimming, heated mirrors, automatic HVAC control, and Reverse Sensing System
Exterior: Body colored trim with chrome accents on the trunk strip and door handles, 16 inch alloy wheels, and Auto leveling HID headlights, and Euro style bumpers.
Interior: Upgraded dash with seamless airbag cover, wood accents around HVAC vents, door grabber handles, and radio bezel, mach 500 sound system, heated, power, leather seats.
Options: The technology package (MSRP $2999); power opening, panoramic sunroof, HDD based GPS navigation system, 6 disc DVD/CD changer, cell phone link, rear seat dvd entertainment system, and wireless networking (802.11b allow wireless transfer of media files from home network to car.

<font color="blue"> GT sport </font> (MSRP $23,999): This is the focus enthusiasts car.
Standard features: Same as GT plus 6 speed manual transmission, LSD and sport tuned suspension, and upgraded brakes.
Exterior: Same as GT plus 17 alloy wheels.
Interior: Same as GT except Brushed aluminum accents instead of wood, and leather sports seats.
Options: Same as GT

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ford may drop SVT Foci because of bad sales??? Well no wonder $21,500.00 for the Euro Look SVT
When you can buy a Neon SRT4 that can accelerate 0-60 in under 5 seconds!!!! for about the same after dealer screws you for an adjusted market value. My idea for a GT Foci How bout 2.3 Duratech with a Jackson super charger (keeping with Ford SVT theme) SVT suspention, maybe a scoop for an intercooler and 17" wheels. I really like the Euro look SVT but from a preformance standpoint dollar wise there are other options I would consider.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The focus should have 5 distinct trim levels, available on all body styles.

LX, LX Sport, SE, GT, and GT sport

Optional on ALL trim levels would be the advanced safety system (MSRP $2,999). This would add all wheel disc, anti-lock brakes, with EBD, EBA, Traction control, and Advancetrack Active Stability control system. It would also include side impact, and side curtain airbags (front and rear) with passenger size, and out of position sensors.

<font color="blue"> LX </font> (MSRP $13,999): This is the stripped basic car.
Standard features: 1.8 duratec engine (120 hp) with auto transmission (4 speed) and soft ride suspension.
Exterior: black plastic trim on doors, door handles, trunk, mirrors, 14 inch steel wheels
Interior: 4 speaker AM/FM cassette, manual cloth seats, black and gray accents
Options: Premium package ($1,499); power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, AC, manual sunroof, and a CD/MP3 player.

<font color="blue"> LX Sport </font> (MSRP $17,999): This is the stripped performance car.
Standard Features: Same as LX plus GT sport's powertrain, and suspension.
Exterior: Same as LX, plus Black body kit (like the street edition focus) and 16 inch alloy wheels.
Interior: Same as LX plus sports seats.
Options: Same as LX

<font color="blue"> SE </font> (MSRP $15,999): The most common trim level, the focus for the masses.
Standard Features: 2.0 duratec engine (150 hp), CVT automatic transmission, power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, AC.
Exterior: body colored trim on doors, door handles, trunk and mirrors. 15 inch steel wheels, and euro style halogen headlights.
Interior: 4 speaker CD/MP3 player, Manual cloth seats, black and silver accents.
Options: SE + package ($1,499);15 alloy wheels, 6 disc in dash CD/MP3 player with sub, trip computer, cruse control, power sunroof, map reading lights, and lighted vanity mirrors.

<font color="blue"> GT </font> (MSRP $23,999): This is the fully loaded, luxury focus.
Standard features: 2.3 duratec engine (220 hp) with a sport shiftable CVT transmission, power one touch up/down windows and heated windscreen, power locks, power auto dimming, heated mirrors, automatic HVAC control, and Reverse Sensing System
Exterior: Body colored trim with chrome accents on the trunk strip and door handles, 16 inch alloy wheels, and Auto leveling HID headlights, and Euro style bumpers.
Interior: Upgraded dash with seamless airbag cover, wood accents around HVAC vents, door grabber handles, and radio bezel, mach 500 sound system, heated, power, leather seats.
Options: The technology package (MSRP $2999); power opening, panoramic sunroof, HDD based GPS navigation system, 6 disc DVD/CD changer, cell phone link, rear seat dvd entertainment system, and wireless networking (802.11b allow wireless transfer of media files from home network to car.

<font color="blue"> GT sport </font> (MSRP $23,999): This is the focus enthusiasts car.
Standard features: Same as GT plus 6 speed manual transmission, LSD and sport tuned suspension, and upgraded brakes.
Exterior: Same as GT plus 17 alloy wheels.
Interior: Same as GT except Brushed aluminum accents instead of wood, and leather sports seats.
Options: Same as GT
Holy crap thats expesive for a Focus

And where is the SVT?

Anyway....the rumors of the SVT going away ATM are just rumors but I wouldnt be suprised if it did go away for a year or so with the introduction of the new Duratechs in the Focus next spring, but theres other hints that have been dropped and those spy photos of an SVT testing against a SI type R (??) that hopefully has some sort of FI in it. I don't see SVT giving up so easily...hopefully they will rise the challenge like they will do with the 2005 Lightning vs the new Ram R/T-10

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
uh, no didn't forget that, and don't want an SVT motor when the PZEV is clearly a superior long term choice.
U missed my
....the point I was trying to make is there lots of rumors and some spy shots of hopefully a FI SVT engine based off the 2.3L Duratech engine. The point I was trying to make is make the Focus GT with the same engine minus the Supercharger or Turbo.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts