Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m having some problems and I’ve ran out of ideas... As some of you might know I’ve been in the process of building a new turbo kit for quite sometime now… I’ve now all but finished. I used to have the gude kit and it was tuned by Ray but since sold that and have been building a new kit for awhile.

I’ve been working with Ray at Mcnews to try and get this thing up and running so I can bring him the car to have him strap it down again… Right now I have pretty much everything done but I’m experiencing some problems… Ok now Ray has since done a base tune type deal on my sct (cuz my old tune was way off for this new kit) so I could pretty much get the car to him but I’m having some problems. He raised the idel to 900.

Now just alittle back ground besides the turbo kit all I really have done to the motor rite now is a fc 65mm tb and scream deamon coil and live wires, 1 step colder plugs, 70 pro-m maf calibrated for the 42s on the car and that’s about it for bolt ons. Now I’m still using the maf after the filter but before the turbo. I’m going to be switching to the blow through maf soon but not yet unless that will help with my idel which I dunno u guys tell me…

When I first started the car the car wouldn’t idel at all unless I kept on the gas and kept it above like 1500 to 2g’s or else it would bog down and stall… now I’ve screwed in that screw in the tb pretty much 3/4 of the way in… did anyone else ever have to do this??? Now the car will idel but will jump from about 500 to about 2000 and it does this over and over and over… it gets so low that it is so close to stallin but doesn’t, doesn’t get low enough for the batt light tho but it has to be close cuz everything shakes like hell… now like I said, before I adjusted that screw on the tb it didn’t idel at all… now at least I have a bad idel but one non the less I guess… but now ever since I’ve screwed in that screw whenever I step on the gas the rpm’s go up but never come back down… honestly if I rev it to 4g’s it stays at 4g’s till I shut the car off even if I tap the gas to bring it back down it wont… I havnt drove it yet cuz with this problem I wont get far… what is going on here??? y am I having a bad idel and y is the throttle stuck??? And did anyone else have to put the screw in on the tb as much as I did???

Could my problem just be with the tb or the new coil and live wires??? I only ever drove the car around the block with that new tb once (before the new turbo install) so I cant really tell you weather it was ok before or not… and never drove the car with the new coil and wires. it seemed to be ok tho when i drove it to test out the tb and the throttle didn’t get stuck I know that if I remember it did seem to hang alittle tho… so does anyone have any ideas here as to what my problems might be… I’d rather not replace the tb back to stock or the coil if I don’t have to but im leanin that direction cuz I just cant take this anymore I just wanna get her up and running so I can drive her to Ray… and since i cant figure out the problems i guess im gunna have to go back to stock tb and coil to rule out that its them thats causing the problems unless i get other info here... As some of you might know it wouldnt be wise for me to have this car towed... Its not about the money its just it ant gunna happen to be honest with out removing alot and i mean alot...

if u have any other questions just ask like if u need more info on my setup to maybe make a better guess as to what you think the problems might be… I’ve tried everything… I originally had the plugs gapped to .065 then down to .060 now at .055 and there really hasn’t been any change... It might have been a tad better at the .060 so im gunna go back to that but that ant gunna fix my problem I know that… Could this just be in my tune and i basically need to just get the car to ray so he can do like a 30mph roll on the dyno and get the bugs out??? but with this throttle getting stuck he ant gunna be able to anyway... well any help here would be great or any ideas to try or anything... btw i've looked over and over tryin to find a vac leak but cant come up with any so i dont think that is my problem...

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'd put the stock parts back on and gap the plugs at .045.

An excellent rule is to never change more than one thing at a time.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just see if it idles with the stock tb on. If so, that's the problem. It might be leaking or the tps may be slightly misaligned. I'd say it's most likely not related to the coil/plugs/wires since it holds higher rpm okay. Mine did almost the exact same thing when I put my mafs in the 3" tube. I took the tb off and it idles way better.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
How and who calibrated your MAF to those 42# injectors? My car had the same exact symptoms when I did my custom setup. I put 39# injectors in with a SVTF maf sensor with NO tune...spit sputter and just about had to hold to the floor for it to rev. So for diagnostic reasons, I put the stock 19# SPI injectors back in and cured the problem. I'm thinking your "calibration" is off.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
How and who calibrated your MAF to those 42# injectors? My car had the same exact symptoms when I did my custom setup. I put 39# injectors in with a SVTF maf sensor with NO tune...spit sputter and just about had to hold to the floor for it to rev. So for diagnostic reasons, I put the stock 19# SPI injectors back in and cured the problem. I'm thinking your "calibration" is off.
it wasn't the calibration of your MAF, it was the NO tuning that made the car run rich and stall out. What is the spacing like between the MAF and the turbo? Sure the MAF if pointed the right way?(don't laugh, I was scratching my head one day for three hours wondering what I srewed up, turns out when I got my MAF all turned around. You can unplug your MAF, and it should be able to run for a couple of minutes to see if that is a concern)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the calibration of the MAF is rite on the money or at least last year when Ray tuned my car the first time he said it was... so unless over a short period of time something can happen to the calibration of a maf i doubt thats my problem... the maf is pointed in the rite direction and is maybe a foot from the turbo and rite after the filter...

so anyone got any other ideas cuz im running out of time (local show this weekend) and would really like to get this fixed by this weekend... i talked to Ray and he said that there is no reason to draw in that screw in the tb cuz the what is it IAC or something should correct itself... So im gunna draw that screw back out and that should fix the hangin problem but i still have the idel problem... Could i have a bad IAC??? I think thats what its called... What else could be my problem??? Is there any other sensors or anything that i should replace or check??? My bov maybe??? Its a greedy type S and when i orginally put it on it did mess up my idel alittle with the old kit but i think that was due to a leak in the flange (bad weld). maybe its the bov itself is leaking??? The bov has two vac hook ups one is larger and one is smaller, the smaller one i have vented to the atmos and the larger i have hooked up is this correct??? is there anyway to do a vac test to see maybe if i've over looked something and i have a leak somewhere i dont know about???

im really at a loss here and cant figure this out... I really dont think its the tb or the sd coil... What could be causing my bad idel??? Any Any Any other ideas????

thanks
jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts