Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the urethane engine mounts my idle went from bearable to CRAP! anything less than 900-1000 rpm (idle when cold) and car wants to shake itself apart, it never stalls or anything, just a LOT more vibrations. After searching for IDLE ADJUSTMENT what i want to know is if i adjust the screw on my TB how can the computer re-adjust the idle when there is physicaly more air going in? (without running lean?)my search was NOT so clear to me...

So basicaly if i mess with the idle adjust screw
will i be able to raise my idle permanently? If not how can i do it?

Milan

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: moolan ]</p>

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hey moolan, I ahve the same problem. do you have cams. The only way to raise the idle is to have a custom chip burned with a higher idle. I just had mine re-done to 1000epm. It helps a lot. If you need more info, call me

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nader man,

I do not have the cam-gears or cams, and i would hate to go back to the factory mounts, i love what these mounts do for my car, i am also hoping to not have to go with a chip, i think i read someone had his stock computer flashed by factory, i do not know anyone at a Ford dealer so i am s.o.l. I will try the idle screw tonight and see what happends???

Thanks bud,

Milan

Also what do you think about drilling a couple of holes into the Urethane? Crazy enough to work?
Just a thought......

·
Registered
826 Posts
You can physically raise the idle adjustment screw but it will make your car run weird. Since the idle is computer controlled, if you raise you r idle to 1100rpm via the TB then the computer is fighting the TB settings.

The result, rpms hang when shifting(I mean like for 5 seconds) and the car takes forever to get back off of idle. There is a fine line of adjustment. Try it and you will see what I mean. Just by the chip, it's only 195 bux and is worth it for the little that it does.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My dohc zetec has the idle "surge" problem. Last summer I did have the standard burn chip in it and solved the idle problem. For reasons I won't go into here, sold the chip. Since then I have full header/exhaust system, CAI, ported TB, UDP, and dropped in Crower Stage II's and gears yesterday. Still playing with tuning combos. My idle surge is worse (because of the cams I am sure). The questions I am getting down to is along with this thread is I have a NX system coming. I have read that the standard performance chip (LFQ1) is not compatible with a nitrous system. I am sure there is a custom burn chip for the set-up? In the mean time I have been toying with the thought of bringing out the idle adjustment screw. Is it really going to confuse the computer control that much??? This is on an OEM TB ported, not the FCTB.

[ 02-16-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: 1BadEgg ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts