Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone's SVT idle at on the tach, mine does about middle ways between the 1000rpm line and the next line under that, and I did the digital tach and it says around 850rpm's. Is that right that the SVT idles about 100-150 rpm's above the regualr zetec. Also, my computer code is RLA6, just wondering about it, it also seems it doesn't change either with the A/C on, when my ZX3 I had would go up and down with A/C on and off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Same, but mine dips low temporarily when I've got the AC on.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, just checking to see if people have similar idles since that is a very important thing dealing with the SVT, I'm a programmer, granted it is DB stuff, but I don't see how it can be so hard to program the computer to do certain maps and other things and to clear of the surging and idle problems, you don't really hear other people with different makes of cars having similar problems, I am sure they can figure these computer programs out, they just have to want to for their loyal customers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks, just checking to see if people have similar idles since that is a very important thing dealing with the SVT, I'm a programmer, granted it is DB stuff, but I don't see how it can be so hard to program the computer to do certain maps and other things and to clear of the surging and idle problems, you don't really hear other people with different makes of cars having similar problems, I am sure they can figure these computer programs out, they just have to want to for their loyal customers.
Exactly! SVT is most likely blowing smoke up our A$$. RLA6 is a joke. Surging 2-4,000 rpms....lousy ass idle quality similar to a 2 cycle lawn mower...etc.

I still like the car...don't get me wrong...but Ford Quality is NOT job 1.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When the engine is cold timing is retarded i believe and the car will idle high for a minute, like 1100-1200. Once its up to operating temp, the idle drops to ~800. At least mine does with RLA6.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Exactly! SVT is most likely blowing smoke up our A$$. RLA6 is a joke. Surging 2-4,000 rpms....lousy ass idle quality similar to a 2 cycle lawn mower...etc.

I still like the car...don't get me wrong...but Ford Quality is NOT job 1.
My theory:

They can't get the programming set right because these SVTF engines have so many gizmos that can get out of wack. Different combination of wackiness for each car.

Sensors that are not very consistant (especially after some time in use).

Cam apparatus that can walk out of spec.

Varying degrees of vacuum leaks due to volatile plastic intake and clamps that don't hold.

Large range of possible underhood temps (this engine compartment needs to breathe better).

Etc. Etc.

I do a little shadetree engineering, and I know that the most important thing you need to keep a complex design working smoothly is CONSISTANCY... this means using accurate measurement and control peripherals that don't degrade, and it means design suitability for the given environmental conditions.

I think the computer is fighting against a moving target and being fed poor information about where that target is at any given time. I know my car does not behave the same way one day or the next. Amount of heat and humidity has less to do with this than CHANGE in heat and humidity.

This ECU (with its programming tables) relies heavily on the accurate reporting of conditions, and these OEM sensors can't deliver well enough.

A few SVTF owners may have got lucky, and this stuff works in good harmony for them. However, I think that for the majority of us, this is not the case.

The thing is over-engineered. A powerplant with 50% more displacement and half as complicated a setup would have been a MUCH more workable solution. Probably would have been cheaper too.

But then... the marketing people wouldn't have had any fancy new parts to talk up, would they?

·
Registered
173 Posts
This ECU (with its programming tables) relies heavily on the accurate reporting of conditions, and these OEM sensors can't deliver well enough.

A few SVTF owners may have got lucky, and this stuff works in good harmony for them. However, I think that for the majority of us, this is not the case.

The thing is over-engineered. A powerplant with 50% more displacement and half as complicated a setup would have been a MUCH more workable solution. Probably would have been cheaper too.

But then... the marketing people wouldn't have had any fancy new parts to talk up, would they?
I not trying to start a flame war, but why did you buy your SVTF? Or anyone else for that matter who has nothing good to say about it. Yeah mine has its good days and bad days, but I knew I wasn't buying a horsepower monster. This is one of the most well balanced and thought out car I have driven it its price range. So it has its programming issues but if we stay on SVT they will come up with a solution for it. And I am sorry for the people who have had the overwhelming problems one after another,but the people who just complain that it surges a little bit or the Idle is kind of wacky need their heads examined. Sell it and go buy a mercedes or a lexus if you want a luxury feel. I on the other hand will stick with my querky SVTF. Like I said I am not trying to start fights. Like another member posted a while back about finding the positive in our cars and bringing that to the table instead of all this negative talk in almost every thread. This is probably why Ford will not make it anymore because of our attitudes and how we let the car be perceived to public who don't know about them. This will also hurt the aftermaket parts for our cars and resale.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, you asked for it buddy.

>> "This will also hurt the aftermaket parts for our cars and resale." <<

LOL! Mine (with low miles) is already worth only half what I'm paying for it. Resale schmesale... fix it Ford!!

I'll bet you are one of those guys who paid a ZX3 price for yours. If so, nice luck, nice job. But don't get smug when someone who bought it as an Exclusive SVT (like I did), gets pissed when it can't hold together even fetching groceries.

>> "This is probably why Ford will not make it anymore because of our attitudes and how we let the car be perceived to public who don't know about them." <<

If Ford doesn't make them any more, it is because they built a car that has a high potential to break a lot... no matter how you drive it.

Only 170 crank HP. This car should be able to hold up MUCH BETTER.

The chassis rocks, but the rest DOES NOT.

You just wait. I'll lay odds you will be crying a river before your ownership time is up... When you have to start paying for all this out of your own pocket.

>> "the people who just complain that it surges a little bit or the Idle is kind of wacky need their heads examined." <<

You have no idea. These little surges and the idle are the least of the problems I've had (or many others have had). Stuff leaks and breaks and stops working with low, tenderly driven miles. Yeah... I'd say *those* are F'ing problems.

Mine ain't a trailer queen. I bought it to drive it. Been in with a significant laundry list 4 times before it hit 5K miles (never about squeaks or stupid little annoyances either). How about 2 inches of water on the floor (leaks), or driving around in Winter with the windows down because defroster stuff won't work?

The last thing I went in for was a failed water pump. I have another list building now, like passenger seatbelt not retracting, trim piece around hatch lock fell out (don't know where it went, but water is getting in there now), etc.

When it comes to the number of significant fixes and repairs... this is BY FAR the worst car I have owned in 20 years. And I had barely driven it yet.

I met up with two guys locally who have these cars. They do not participate in online forums. They've had stuff like their flywheels come apart and, like me, they don't even race.

>> "I on the other hand will stick with my querky SVTF." <<

Quirky is one thing. Breaking often from fairly sedate driving is another.

I really like SVT, but I think they got f00ked up by the Ford parts buyers and manufacturing processes. Those poor guys are probably grimmacing about all this crap too.

I hope they can cut through the red tape and fix all our common issues.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You need to chill. You don't seem to understand what car you bought. You bought a Ford Focus, and econobox. Yea,yea it out handles this, and has faster track times than that, doesn't matter. Its a cheaply built FORD. What the [censored] did you expect to be getting. When i buy a $70,000 Benz, I expect to have no problems. When i but a $19,000 Ford, I expects lots of little quirks. You don't realize what you bought and you dont want to look past the fact that its an SVT. OHHHHH......SVT WOOOOOWWW. Quite honestly, the Ford Specialty Vehicle team is run very poorly. Sure they do make some cool cars, the 390hp Cobra really is a great car. But the extra effort that they put into those cars isn't put into our little foci, and to tell you the truth, the effort put into the Cobra isn't up to par with other cars of its level. My engine isn't signed by some guy. My Focus was built by a Mexican who is getting paid 1 peso a year to make sure the machines our working correctly. These idiots are in it for the money. They're gonna take every short cut they can to make the extra dollar. That is why people don't have probles with their AMG Benz's. They don't take the shorcuts that ford does. It is a true tuning company, not a division of the company that designs a car and then has a machine build it. They put time and effort into and dont [censored] you. They know how to make the customer happy.

Ford came out with RLA6 for our cars and it wasn't what it was made out to be. Do you think if Mercedes needed to reflash some cars that they would let a crap program out. Of course not. They realize if they want that person to buy another car next time around, they've gotta bust their ass for them. Ford could give a [censored] about the customer. You think they actually flashed a SVTF with RLA6 and drove it around and tested it for thousnads of miles? They didn't, and thats what makes the difference.

I don't care how damn good or bad the car is, its the support and effort that the automaker puts into it that counts. And Ford never has and never will put in the extra effort to make things right. And they cant figure out why thier sales are rapidly decreasing, yet at every street corner there's a BMW or Mercedes.

Next time you buy a cheap little car think about what you're buying. I own a Ford, yet I hate the company deeply.

(longest post evAr)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought 3 econoboxes before this one (1 Suzuki and 2 Fords).

Those cars were fine. Very few problems at all. Whatever little problems they did have didn't crop up until they started getting old.

So I guess what you are saying is that it's now acceptable for any car that doesn't cost $60,000 to break all the time.

You have some high standards there, sport. People like you accepting such low quality is what drives the automakers to build garbage.

Thank you for that :/

·
Registered
751 Posts
I knew you would say that exact thing. Ill say it again, it doesn't have to do with what you or I expect were getting for our money, no matter how much we spend. Ford's true goal isn't really to build a solid car, it's to build a car that apppeals to people and a car that will sell and make them money. Its all about money. Once they got your 16 grand, you mean absolutley nothing to them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
OK, you asked for it buddy:

Still never aswered my question. Why did you buy it?

LOL! Mine (with low miles) is already worth only half what I'm paying for it. Resale schmesale... fix it Ford!!

I agree fix it Ford. But you have yet to list anything wrong with the powertrain you complain about. Didn't you test drive it?

I'll bet you are one of those guys who paid a ZX3 price for yours. If so, nice luck, nice job. But don't get smug when someone who bought it as an Exclusive SVT (like I did), gets pissed when it can't hold together even fetching groceries.

I have a 2003 SVTF long before any incentives or rebates.

If Ford doesn't make them any more, it is because they built a car that has a high potential to break a lot... no matter how you drive it.

Mine hasn't broke once. Not to say it won't ever break, but hey it is a car and cars break down plain and simple.

Only 170 crank HP. This car should be able to hold up MUCH BETTER

It does. And you knew it was "ONLY" 170 crank hp you when bought it. Didn't you?

The chassis rocks, but the rest DOES NOT.

Again, Did you test drive it?

You just wait. I'll lay odds you will be crying a river before your ownership time is up... When you have to start paying for all this out of your own pocket.

Maybe you should become a booky earn enough money and buy a new car.

You have no idea. These little surges and the idle are the least of the problems I've had (or many others have had). Stuff leaks and breaks and stops working with low, tenderly driven miles. Yeah... I'd say *those* are F'ing problems.

Then fill me in.

Mine ain't a trailer queen. I bought it to drive it. Been in with a significant laundry list 4 times before it hit 5K miles (never about squeaks or stupid little annoyances either). How about 2 inches of water on the floor (leaks), or driving around in Winter with the windows down because defroster stuff won't work?

How about some of the ZX3's with the water leak problem. Thats not just a SVT thing. I have seen many makes and models with the same problem. I know its annoying, but for me wouldn't be enough to hate the car like you.

The last thing I went in for was a failed water pump. I have another list building now, like passenger seatbelt not retracting, trim piece around hatch lock fell out (don't know where it went, but water is getting in there now), etc.

Lemon law maybe? These incidents are rather isolated and that is the point I was trying to get across. Again all makes and models have growing pains and lemons.

When it comes to the number of significant fixes and repairs... this is BY FAR the worst car I have owned in 20 years. And I had barely driven it yet.

Lemon law again?

I met up with two guys locally who have these cars. They do not participate in online forums. They've had stuff like their flywheels come apart and, like me, they don't even race.

The SVTF owners in my area whome I have communicated with rave about the car as much as I racer or not.

I really like SVT, but I think they got f00ked up by the Ford parts buyers and manufacturing processes. Those poor guys are probably grimmacing about all this crap too.

I disagree, This car was well engineered just not well programmed. Which they will fix eventually.

The reason resale is so low is because all those who bought their's at the ZX3 price and 0 percent financing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I knew you would say that exact thing. Ill say it again, it doesn't have to do with what you or I expect were getting for our money, no matter how much we spend. Ford's true goal isn't really to build a solid car, it's to build a car that apppeals to people and a car that will sell and make them money. Its all about money. Once they got your 16 grand, you mean absolutley nothing to them.
20 Grand.

And... really?

If their goal was to make money off this car, then they have already used up their entire profit margin fixing some of our cars before they were even settled in.

They did make a bit off of me at first (for what I paid), but now that profit is about gone.

To the other folks here, who think that all cars are liable to break no matter what, you need to look at how SOON these cars are starting to have problems. Many have significant parts failures before 5K miles. Most have at least *something* breaking or dying by 15K miles.

That is not acceptable. That means something is wrong.

The ratio of problems to SVTF produced is likely MUCH HIGHER than with the ZX3.

Anyhow, I am done with this thread. I understand how painful it is to hear the truth when the truth means you are in for problems too.

If you can't take the truth, then don't read my posts. I ain't gonna save you from the pain of it.

Fun car when it ain't broken.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Back on topic, my car idles at 1300ish rpms consistantly during hte Warmer months. In Feburary, right after I bought it, it would bump up the idle to around 1600rpms when it was really cold outside (around 20degrees).

·
Registered
734 Posts
I need to get all the parts ive had replaced and start building a non-running replica of my car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts