Ford Focus Forum banner

If I do this, will it look like crap???

517 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ZX3guy182 
#1 ·
I want my side moldings and mirrors painted. If I get some color matched spay paint, spray and clear them, will it look obvious that it wasnt professionally done? I have a good understanding on how to spray paint properly, but I dont want it to look terrible. Should I do it, or wait and have it professionally done?
Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
There is no way you could get it to match, don't do it. I just had my side mouldings and hatch piece painted, PPG does amazing jobs when it comes to color matching.

#6 ·
I hate to differ with you, but I just did quite a few of the interior pieces on my project focus with a SPRAY CAN. Pulled the pieces, washed them with hot soapy water and soaked them to remove that nassy armor all, wiped them heavily with isopropyl alcohol, then applied heat with a space heater to get the parts nice and warm. Sprayed 3 coats color matched aresol paint to parts, allowed to bake under heat lamp, then coated with 2 coats of clear. If you take the time to allow the paint to dry thoroughly between coats, make sure that the coats are even, and use the clear to finish, the actual finish of the pieces is professional in look, rock hard, and as resistant to scratches and damage as the factory paint. Email me for pics.

#7 ·
I've never had a problem with spray paint not holding up. My 93 Taurus has a spray painted fender and part of the front bumper. You cant even tell (well, you kinda can on the fender if you look closely, cuz I ran out of clear coat and I was sick of having the bashed-in fender on the car so I said screw it and put the new one on)

I've never even had a problem with paint matching...I guess I'm lucky on that one, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.