Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got 107k on the beast and I'm thinking she could use a new water pump. Are there any high-flow replacement pumps out there for the Zetec? Any personal recommendations or experience would be appreciated. If there are any high-flow water pumps would they require a higher flow radiator?

BTW: This is a potential G2 Rally car in late '06 or early '07 (no FI allowed) so I am looking for parts that will help with the serious abuse that this car may be asked to suffer.

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
...higher flow does not always match increased cooling.You could fit a smaller pulley to increse the flow rate but watch out for too high a flow and cavitation.To increase the 'heat rejection' on a high output set up you may need a larger rad with greater fin/tube density...does that help?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KogBoxKing, thanks. That sort of helps, I already suspected that there would be other issues to look out for when using a higher flow pump. I do appreciate you elaborating on some of the issues that a higher rate of water flow might cause.

However, I still don't know if there is such a beast (high-flow water pump), that's the question I am looking to answer at this point.

·
TEAM Member
939 Posts
....a smaller pulley will increase the flow but as I said after a point the coolant will move too fast through the waterways to effectivly pick up the heat,at that point steam pockets can form within the system....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I don't have a definite answer, but a complaint I've heard a few times in the past is the lack of any aftermarket water pumps for the Zetec.

Are you allowed to rig up something fancy like an auxiliary electric pump that's thermostatically controlled? Can you run an oil cooler?

Without any power-adders, I wouldn't think you'd need much extra cooling capacity, so a larger radiator might not be worth the weight penalty.

Are you allowed to run a custom tune? If so, you can change your PCM's tuning file to help keep heat under control, especially if you are allowed to remove the cat.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Ford Racing Water Pump for a Zetec is a standard pump. I have not yet seen an aftermarket, upgraded water pump for a Zetec.

You may want to consider a FC UDP kit. It has a smaller crank pulley and a larger water pump pulley...both will slow down the coolant flow through the engine allowing more time for the heat to transfer from the block and head to the coolant.

Tony D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts