Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some interesting news. A Ford Gt with a German driving was tagged with a 05 Viper going 150mph North of Santa Barbara on the 101. Dont know if they were owners, borrowed vehicle, whatever.

One of our transport drivers talked to them at a Gas station prior to the arrest.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Poor guy was just homesick.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Just got some interesting news. A Ford Gt with a German driving was tagged with a 05 Viper going 150mph North of Santa Barbara on the 101.
It's almost surprising that they stopped really. I mean CHP cruisers generally top out at around 135mph. Not that I am condoning running from the Police, of course.

>8^)
ER

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
yeah, i could see how you could hit those speeds on that stretch. there really isn't anything there and the traffic thins out a lot after SB. not saying it's safe, but....

Mike

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
It's almost surprising that they stopped really.

Perhaps they were chased by an aircraft and slowed by a swerving patrol unit on the ground that entered the highway ahead of them...

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Perhaps they were chased by an aircraft and slowed by a swerving patrol unit on the ground that entered the highway ahead of them...
Yup, once the chopper is up your toast. But it really depends on radio communication also. Getting units ahead of you and all that, plus its difficult to sustain 150mph in a big vehicle like that.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thats my assumption, that aircraft picked them up. Had it happen to me once

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
well then you just gotta get a car that can outrun helis and light aircraft
it's easily possible. I don't think that most police helo's can get going past 120mph (whatever the equivalent is knots is) even in a steep dive. I think they generally just keep going higher to keep sight of you.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
WOW, going 150mph is simply utterly irresponsible.

I would never do more than 130 on public roads.

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
From what I can tell of it, the GT guy was caught by a cop in a Viper. Does the CHP have a Viper cruiser? Anyhow, thats pretty freaking fast for a public highway!

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, these 2 german guys were driving 2 cars. 1 a Gt and 1 a viper. I wonder if they were journalists from over seas.

In any case, they are most likely meeting "BUBBA" in the county slammer.
Welcome to america

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, these 2 german guys were driving 2 cars. 1 a Gt and 1 a viper. I wonder if they were journalists from over seas.

In any case, they are most likely meeting "BUBBA" in the county slammer.
Welcome to america
I doubt they're even in jail at this moment. Guaranteed they posted bail.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
either that or diplomatic immunity haha

·
Registered
91 Posts
it's easily possible. I don't think that most police helo's can get going past 120mph (whatever the equivalent is knots is) even in a steep dive. I think they generally just keep going higher to keep sight of you.
I think you've been watching too many movies like "Gone in 60 Seconds." Helicopters (even those used by police) can go quite a bit faster than 120MPH. This site descrives cruising speeds of 140+MPH. I think you'd have a very hard time outrunning a helicopter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts