Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. recently i have not been very impressed with my focus and have been considering a new car. which of the following would you go with and why. i realize not all are 20k but most are close
2003 hyundai tiburon GT V6
2003 dodge neon SRT-4
1995-1998 acura integra GSR
2003 Ford Mustang V6
1999-2001 Toyota celica GT-S

·
Registered
418 Posts
non of the above,

I'd buy a used 02 WRX for 17-18k

Ron

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
honestly?

2003 Mini Cooper S, hands down. the power may not be quite as high as some of the ones you listed, but it far makes up for it in ride quality, handling, braking, and overall build quality. check out www.minicooperonline.com many many of them are pushing 200whp in their S Coopers. that's good for around low 15's high 14's with that car. my gf recently bought a standard cooper and i'm sold that the S is going to be my next car when i sell the focus in a year or so.

as for your choices, DON'T buy the V6 stang. it's about as quick as a ZX3 due to the fact that it's like 200hp in a 3500lb car and it's still a ford. the SRT-4 is mad fast, but again it will have many quality control issues being that it's a dodge. the tiburon is another victim of nice power killed by a large curb weight.

the acura would be nice albeit not a very unique car. if i had to pick from that list i'd go with the toyota, but give the mini a look see, you'd be doing yourself a big favor.

Nate

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by AnythingButAFocus:
I know it's not on your list, but I would get one

03 MINI Cooper, All 3 packages, leather, xenons.

Andrew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">beat me to it i see. i'm too long winded.

Nate

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah, but you said an S.

For $20,000, that S would have 0 options.

the base cooper fully loaded will be more fun. I have driven both over 100 miles each, and I love the base more.

Andrew

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would take the SRT - 4 but I would need an extra 10k cuz im in Canada.

[ 04-12-2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: thabrat ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your list is a hard one. Having recently asked myself the same question, I'll tell you my answer:
03 Impreza. Got it 4 grand off sticker (sticker did include 1 grand of dealer "options"). That's over 2 grand below your budget for a brand new car. 5 speed, 165 horses, 166 lb-ft. AWD. I call it my "Poor Man's Carerra 4". Laugh if you want, but Flat-4 motor, AWD, and the view over those bulging bug-eyes... I'm in love! My wife can keep the Focus.

·
Registered
88 Posts
VW golf 1.8T chipped is all u need, luxary and sport ... u'll love it !

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
A 2003 Mustang V6 should NOT be on the list.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">haha tru tru

tiiburon huh? no throw that thought out your head. there so ugly and nothing really standing strong out on the market for them.

and as for the mini copper? if you live in a busy city there is no way your going to get one for 20k. here in va the s is now selling for 30k, so good luck on that one.

srt4? hell yeah that thing focking rocks, no mufflers-straigh pipe, agressive as hell, and easly upgraded through dodge to go EVEN faster!!!

gsr? wow i might have been dreaming but i swear i saw AEM's dyno for that thing and it only had maybe 140 horsepower....pending on the milage and the year and what you can get it for, then go ahead and then swap it with a type r motor. sweeet.

v6 poostang? no dont BUT here there selling GT's for 21k....thought about getting one for my wife and trade in her car, but no its brand new and havent had it long enough.

so my vote is for SRT-4 and if you have anyhting wrong with it, im totally sure that dodge will fix it for ya, that car ownes the road for 4bangers....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Used WRX. I've seen '02 with than 20K miles for $18,000. Plus it has Subaru reliability. Easy choice.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I'd pay off my SHO, supercharge it, and use the other money for a blower and other suspension mods for the Focus.

What I would get in return are two rather quick cars, one that will seat up to 5 in relative comfort and still run high 12's/ low 13's, and one that will also be quick but still handle like a wet dream.

Forget a new car, I already have two great ones, they could just use a little "boost".

[ 04-13-2003, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Osiris ]

·
Registered
176 Posts
$1,600 for a MINT 1987 Renault GTA convertible set up the way I like it

$2,400 for a Canon XL1s digital video camera

$1,500 for a decent computer to run the DV software.

And deposit the remaining $14,500.

·
Registered
296 Posts
1993 VW Corrado SLC VR6

Spend the rest to get a new VR6 dropped in it, and have all the eletrical stuff running in top shape.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts