Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a chance the valves would hit the pistons on our engines? Basically is our engine "Interferance" or "Non-interferance"?

Just asking for curiosity sake.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No chance....it is definate! Proper maintenance of the timing belt is essential here! And, be especially careful when servicing the belt to keep everything properly in time. It doesn't take much of a bump from the piston to bend the valve.

·
Registered
423 Posts
broken timing belts almost always bend your valves, just dont take it to a dealer, dodge wanted 1800$ to say, "unbend" my valves on a neon, yeah I just replaced the engine for 900$ before I got the focus.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Audi A4 turbo engine let the tensioner fail, the belt skipped several teeth and the valves bent.

End result- needed a new head and cost several thousand $$$.

FYI- the Audi belt is a 90k service item, the part failed at 52k miles. 2k out of warranty.

·
███████
2,662 Posts
So the SVT motors are interference motors? Unlike the base Zetecs?
Actually the Zetec Motor is an interfearence motor the only non-interfearence motor in the focus is the SPI..... the one and only good thing about the SPI

·
Registered
686 Posts
so how do we check to see if our timing belt is going or how many miles should we replace it? it's a pretty scary thought that just a simple belt could cause so much damgae and much $$$

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
timing belt i think is a 90k item. it's in the manual. YES it will bend your intake valves. Same as the regular zetec.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of my friends has a turboed Civic hatch. He was cruising down the highway, and about 20-30 teeth was sheared off the belt. He bent every valve in his head. I have one of his exhaust valves right in front of me. Luckily his head wasn't messed up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also- if the pistons get a nick, there toast. That'll create a hot spot which will lead to pinging. Total teardown there...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I know about bending valves in this car. Yes it will happen if your timing belt; 1. Breaks, or 2. Skips a few teeth. It may be a 90k replacement item, but if you have the time and ability...probably cahnge it a bit sooner to be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts