Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being part off FF i realize i may get flack for it since the two don't seem to play all that nicely. however 90% of FF is wrapped around Toms finger, and 90% of you are wrapped around randys finger. so i will put a post on both forums to get the best answer possible. As Copy paste as i can get.

to start off price is different. fswerks is 379 and im not sure if they charge shipping. toms is 399 +20 dollar shipping. so fswerks has a nice start. however tom fights back with free update tunes for life and what seems to be better CS as he babies you. which to be honest seems kinda nice to me. now im not sure if fswerks offers free updates (or like 5 dollar updates) as well for life as that would level the playing field.

MISC INFO I THOUGHT ID SHARE NOT VERY IMPORTANT (probably hard to follow, sorry in advance)

even i have experienced his cs with 1 email and a 1.25hr response time. i sent fswerks an email a long ass time ago and it took so long for him to respond that i abandoned the fourm; and modding for a bit because highschool. that or i never saw it. who knows, who cares? one thing that did bother me though is that when i did see the response(just now)it seemed kind crappy that it was a "hey there, sorry, we don't offer programming for homemade air intake kits." i put a cone filter in front of the maf. i really don't think that would be a huge difficulty for a experienced tuner. then again im not sure if he was saying "we dont tune cars with homemade parts" or "we dont have a tune that fits that perfectly but we have one that will still work"

however i recently got back into modding, more so than before. if i say so myself ive done quite a bit since then, pretty much all the motor piping/bolt ons. havent touched cams/head(resurface/bore/internals) or intake mani. also i autox now and its a blast :D

enough of the boring stuff

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS/INFO

current motor mods: custom cai (spectre cone filter secured infront of maf)

65mm bbk tb

pacesetter headers

home made cat back; 2.5" piping from flex back. glass pack, which is a straight pipe with some noise makers, and a thrush muffler

q1: what are some key features that randy offers that tom doesnt?
q2: how happy are you with your tune on a scale of 1 to 10?
q3: what separates randys tune from toms? no CS reviews, no key features, just driving the car day to day and hooning fun. after all this is what im really looking at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry fj, you got the rough draft. however the edited is on FF in the ecu tuning section. it probably makes more sense than this does.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's the same old thread/ post on both site that never goes away, same rant, same rage, same bs, it is what it is man.
Top speed is better from what I've seen.

·
I
13,288 Posts
Seems like a few of these questions would best be answered by Randy. I know for his Mk3 ST tunes, he offers free updates which I have taken advantage of. I can't comment on his other files, but assuming you have a Zetec from your mod list.

I've never waited more than a day for a response from him, and he's sent me files with updates without me asking.

Tuning for a custom, home-made intake is a huge risk and liability for the tuner. If you have moved the position of the MAF especially, but with a hot-air intake and off-brand filter, it's hard to say how the car is running without datalogging. While his out of the box tune would probably be okay, if something bad happened everyone would point the finger at the tuner. Not a risk an experienced tuner takes IMO.

Q1 & Q3: I've only had personal experience with Randy's so I won't comment.

Q2: 10 - Anything I wanted changed (rev hang, BPV operation, launch control) he did within 24hrs even though I said it wasn't priority.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Just a week or so ago, I emailed Randy a datalog at 1am on a Sunday morning and he had me an update by 3am. I've never had an issue with customer service at FSWerks.

My experience has been the exact opposite of yours, OP. I got a tune from Tom when I first got my car (I blame it on being young and dumb and not doing my research). The car felt sluggish and had stumbling problems, bucked quite a bit. Tom was nearly impossible to get ahold of and when I did, he basically blew me off saying the problem I had was with my car and not his tune. I would switch back to my stock tune and it ran just fine. I put his tune back on and the problems came back.

When I went turbo, I went with the FSWerks stg 2 kit with Randy's tuning. The canned tune with the kit was great in itself and only took a couple datalogs to dial it in. I've gotten numerous free updates from him over the 5 years and 70k miles I've had the turbo kit on the car. His tuning has been spot on.

A custom cold (hot in your case) air intake can be risky to tune. The size of the MAF tube, the filter location, the location of the MAF along the intake system, etc... Few tuners are willing to take on such as that.

My dealings with Tom: 1 - Horrible CS and tune sucked.
My dealings with Randy: 10 - I've never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response except when Randy was at SEMA which is understandable. His tunes have all been spot on, even when I was experimenting outside the box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm well I'd like to see Randy on here to get a better answer on 1 and Have him expand on 3.

my cai is literally a cone where that lunch box should be on my zetec. If it helps I'll upload a picture. Nothing else is changed, just looks and sounds better to me. Though my engine bay is thermonuclear with the headers(which I need to wrap still). Also spectre isn't really an off brand filter. They've been around for awhile, its just not k&n anymore as that filter was beginning to deteriorate. (my dad has 12 k&n filters laying around).

Anyways I hope Randy joins this as I'd like to see what he has to offer.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

·
I
13,288 Posts
my cai is literally a cone where that lunch box should be on my zetec. If it helps I'll upload a picture. Nothing else is changed, just looks and sounds better to me. Though my engine bay is thermonuclear with the headers(which I need to wrap still). Also spectre isn't really an off brand filter. They've been around for awhile, its just not k&n anymore as that filter was beginning to deteriorate. (my dad has 12 k&n filters laying around).
True, but realize you're losing a lot of performance because you're taking in very hot air with that short ram. While Spectre has been around for a while, their filters aren't as good as K&N, ITG, Green, etc so the flow is another thing to consider. Small things...but they add it up when you're running a more aggressive than factory tune.

Per your post on FF it looks like you're fighting a lean CEL as well. Get that fixed please before you start tuning. It will only cause more problems.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Hey there, sorry about the long reply time back whenever that was. I'm usually pretty fast, but sometimes I miss emails and only catch them when I go back to make sure that I didn't miss any emails... :lol:

As for your programming request, as you've mentioned I don't do free updates. The exception would be the Focus ST EcoBoost, Fiesta ST, and Fusion EcoBoost models. And our turbo kits and supercharger kits get free programming and free updates.

I do a lot of programming. I mean A LOT and it's everyday well into the late hours of the nite and often early into the morning. I get about 20-30 data logs a day from our customers and I've had to reevaluate and make some choices about what I will do and won't do these days just based on my lack of free time. Part of what I don't do anymore is homemade turbo kits, supercharger kits, and other homemade parts. I don't say homemade as an insult, but rather as a way to describe something that is not production and something that I have not tested with or used, personally. Most parts that I program for work well and I've worked with them first hand. Could I do it? Sure. And I have many times. I just have to cut some things out and those are the items that made the most sense for me.

I'm sorry if this sounds bad, I really don't mean to be rude. This is, however, my method of operation at this point. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha so long story short you won't tune a home made car, I understand your decision XD the response was just poorly finessed(sp?). I'm not trying to insult you but it would have been better to hear your explanation upfront in the email. When I looked at the FAQ, unless it was updated(I'll check), it said you take a different approach to homemade parts. With new and more people joining these forums I'd suggest that you inform them of why. Sorry to seem like a b****.

Heat haha I thought I mentioned that CEL here too as I thought a tune was the issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea in the zetec sub, the FAQ on the "I haven't done much to my car" Q. Halfway down the answer I saw the specialized approach. I apologize for causing you a headache.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha make a new one XD 2004 ten years

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha heat, its over. XD Randy pretty much said he wont tune it as i made my cat back and replaced the lunch box with a cone filter. fortunately there is tom. unless im mistaken and took something wrong

·
I
13,288 Posts
haha heat, its over. XD Randy pretty much said he wont tune it as i made my cat back and replaced the lunch box with a cone filter. fortunately there is tom. unless im mistaken and took something wrong
Would be up to you and Tom then, good luck. Make sure you have a WBO2 if you're datalogging or you're really just getting a placebo tune.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
N4T3, that junk filter and it's location is costing you power vs the stock air box. Do you realize this? Cold air intakes are so cheap, why not just buy a genuine cold air intake and get tuned?

Or if you want to stay the homemade route (something I have no problem with as I do it alot), fab you an actual pipe or two that routes down into the fender where the filter can actually get cold air.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
You seem annoyed. I don't have time to do everything for all cars, as I've said; I had to cut some things out. Good luck with everything. :)

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Apex...wat?

Sent Via a wonky air filter.
You said in your original posts that most of both forums were wrapped around the fingers of two posters. (Think about it for a moment...genitalia)

It was an attempt at humour..that sailed waaaaaaaaaaaay above your head.

I bid you fun on FF....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts