Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'m in a jam!

Ok I need some help! Recently my fathers business has taken a poop sales wise, not really too much, but enough. Anyways, I have an svt that i pay 429 a month for(an extra 5k upside down loan that i had transvered onto it to help out my sister who was upside down on her car) it's at 0% interest. Anyways my dad tells me last night if i can't start paying my car payment every month and i'm 2 months behind already(which would be no problem except i'm putting my self through school at about 4000+ dollars a semester) then he would be selling my mother's 02 taurus and he'd take my svt. which would leave me with no car, he said we'd buy a clunker(oh hell no
) so i was thinking I could afford a lower car payment, and still pay for school. So i was thinking of buying a decent car for around 10k, something sporty, either a sport sedan like like a svt contour, or a 2 door coupe. Something reliable and pretty quick and handles good.

anyways which brings up my question does anyone have any idea's on which kinds of cars i could be looking for? I would love a zx3 but i would defenitly want something done to it, not just stock form :p

(btw before anyone rants about working more or whatever, I work 35+ hours a week, 16 credit hours this semester, and i can't recieve financial aid, nor do i want high interest student loans)

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Re: I\'m in a jam!

High interest student loans?
Have you looked at the federal student loan programs lately? Not exactly 0%, but not much more, plus deferred repayment, etc. Or are you talking about some sort of private student loan? Talk to your financial aid office. Even if they won't give you "free" money, they may be able to get you into some low interest federal money that can help out.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ok let me clear something up, that is definetly a good possibility, and good advice, but what i'm looking for out of this post is idea's on what kinds of cars, right now i have in mind nissan 240zx, and svt contour, but I would like some more ideas.
thanks!!!!!

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

I say face up to life and get a clunker. I got through school with one of the best maintained $1950 clunkers around. I put 60k miles on it during school, and it only required about $300 in maintenence during the whole time. The most important thing in your life is graduating so you can move on to making some real money. If having a nice car won't work with this plan, then tough patootie.

I hate to say it, but not everybody is fortunate enough to have somebody else make their car payment.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

man no clunker no!!!!!!!!!!!!

he doesn't make my car payment i make it, i'm behind but i intend to pay it off by working extra during winter break, i easily make that kind of money doing pizza delivery, $8 an hour plus mileage and tips, my dad just fronts the money and i'm working even more now during school than i did in the summer just trying to help out so he doesn't have to put up all the money.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

I say clunker, take the money you would save, save some, and have fun with the rest!!

·
Registered
316 Posts

<font color="blue"> Get a hupty man there is nothing better than to take a p.o.s and not have to make car pmts on it. also think of liability insurance engine swaps turbo's and still no car pmt to defer...hell if given the chance i have now an ae86 sr5 for 1500.00 i am going to get it now and if i choose to sell it... hey honda are cheap now a days but education never is or will be... keep you eye on the goals and not the girls..i am sure every1 would agree no car payment is better than A car payment am i right ?? </font>

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

honestly, spend $3,000 and get a nice clunker. buuuut, if you wanna spend $6,000-$10,000, i'd go with...

or

or

or

or, um there's a lot more. heheh. i would seriously find the coolest reliable car you can get for about $3,000 though

·
Registered
733 Posts

The definition of "clunker" is well below $10,000. Clunkers are some of the best cars to have. You can park them anywhere without worrying about dings. Definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts

actually you should get a 91 Sentra SE-R. that would be wellll under $10,000

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

We're not talking POS here, just an Inexpensive "Beater" that's well-Maintained.
Some of them can be QUITE Fun, even if they're not the prettiest thing on the block...
I drove an '82 Datsun 200SX for quite some time, and it was a Ball!!
UGLY S*** Brown w/ Hail-Damage like it had been beaten w/ a hammer, but it ran like a top.
Best of all, minimal monthly expense for that time-period.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts

Look into a Taurus SHO. Say a nice GenII Manual (92-95), a nice example with low mileage can be had for about 5 grand. If you want something more of a fast cruiser, the GenIII like mine (96-99) can be had for about 5-10 grand for ones with really low mileage. The nicest thing about thses is since they were so expensive when new just about all the ones you'll find will be well taken care of. Not much of a 1/4 mile car but high 14's-low 15' ain't too shabby I'd say for a car this large and inexpensive. Throw a couple of cheap mufflers on it and you'll have a Taurus that sounds like a Mustang GT. There has been an issue with the cams on this car but once you spend the 500 bucks to solve the problem you'll have a near bulletproof engine.

Cheap and fast. As far as reliability don't believe what you're told. As long as you maintain it you won't have any problems. Are they quick? Well, it'll outrun just about all of those other cars mentioned, including the CVST and the SVTF you have now.

Trust me.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

all about priorities man, you can have a nice car sittin outside depreciating like a badass. or you can save your money, pay for your schooling, and maybe put some away into a roth IRA for your future. im a finance major, just my .02.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thanks everyone you've been a great deal of help! the only reason i say under 10000 is because my car payment will be atleast half maybe even less plus insurance will probably half too. I can definetly afford that a lot easier than what i am doing now. thanks again!

·
Registered
5,446 Posts

clunker, if you're worried about girls, don't be. I pimped a minivan back in the day...rather successfully.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Suck it up and go for the beater, it's only temporary!

Something older and reliable, which will come with an added bonus feature: a low insurance rate!

Think about it...low to no payments per month, low cost to insure = more beer money.

Make sense now?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

hah not worried about girls at all, i have a long time gf, things are going very well with her, i dont' really drink so beer money is no issue, i just want my education and a nice car since i don't have a rent payment

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

hah not worried about girls at all, i have a long time gf, things are going very well with her, i dont' really drink so beer money is no issue, i just want my education and a nice car since i don't have a rent payment
I recommend a Bugatti Veyron! They are nice looking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts