Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, recently I had a low idle / idle stall problem which ended up with the car stalling each time I came to a stop. I spent one week desperately trying to figure out what the problem might be; had read all the available posts, and tried every combination (new filter, etc.) to find a solution...

There seemed to be many possible reasons causing low idle or idle stall. I noticed that many jetters (at least more than I anticipated) had that problem and a considerable amount had it after CAI installation...

I went to the dealer (a friend) only to find out that the problem was ridiculous, and the solution was "siller"...

The problem was at the idle control valve (that is at a jerky place, and hard to reach) which was blocked by the car's very own "protective" coating of the inner throttle body...(and MAF sensor walls as far as I know)

The protective coating (classified as "don't remove, don't even touch") accumulated at the valve, causing it to malfunction. Hence came raugh idle and stalls...A quick cleaning of the valve with a degreaser spray cured all...The car started to run flawlessly...

So, I believe the drainage and accumulation of the protective grease is caused by the much higher air flow (which is a good way to explain why people have this problem after CAI installation) and despite common belief, at least the TB coating should be cleaned off when installing high flow intakes...

Hope this helps some people out there...Any comments are wellcome...

·
Registered
591 Posts
hmm i have a CAI and i do have a rough idle and it has died at a light im thinking it may be my DPFE sensor but it sould also be this

PLEASE POST A PIC im not to familiar as to where this piece is

thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
ok, here's my experience, I've installed the AEM last summer and experienced rough idle & stalls sometimes... and I went to my friend's shop to ask what's happening to my car after the intake was installed. He checked and said let's try cleaning the TB, so he cleaned it (in the way that u said) and the rough idle was still there.. (but a lot better compared to before)
ok... my friend has no clue.. and later on I tried to install those breather filter, and covered the hole from the intake, surprisingly, the car idles VERY VERY smooth with no problem, I've had this mod since June and from that time to now the car still idles very smooth at every stops!! and then I asked some ppl about this, they told me that it was becasue hot air from the engine is getting into the intake tube and then go into the engine.. it would cause rough idle sometimes!
hope this helps, and please excuse my english

[ 11-08-2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: YELO-ZX3 ]

·
Registered
591 Posts
hmmm sounds like it might work ile go to pepboys and get me one of those breather filters

how did you seal the hole in the intake

·
Registered
560 Posts
Originally posted by artin:

how did you seal the hole in the intake
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i just used some air/water seal tape (and high temp also) to cover the hole.. it looks alright.. i am just too lazy to get the plug!
I heard that u can get a plastic plug in some hardware shop to cover it

the little breather filter really worked great

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I had the breather filter already (and a closed tubing) when I had the problem. Another common reason for stalls seems to be the hot air (coming from anywhere).

But you should have seen the valve...It was soaked in grease. The service guys said that they always clean the TB so that it does not cause problems like that later on.

I will try a photo but I am not sure if I can get a view from above (the car was on the lift when they changed it and it seems to be accessible from the bottom)

it is a piece like a small smoking pipe wih two holes in it...

[ 11-10-2002, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: Cem Aygun ]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by FOKC:
Where is the IAC valve located?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Under the runners of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I couldn't get a good view of the place they took it out of, but it looks like a small, metallic tobacco pipe with two holes facing up.

Inside was some kind of a spring but all the internals were soaked up in grease when they took it out, so I cannot tell what else is in there...

They washed it completely with a degreaser spray and later after remounting the valve back, they sprayed a lot of that degreaser down the TB while engine is running to clean it's walls (and the rest of the system) They told me that the spray is harmles and burns away with the grease in the engine...Didn't sound much convincing but as they are the official service, if they break
they pay :)))

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I took mine off yesterday with an Aerocharger installed. You can call me Houdini now. You lay on your back with you feet to the back of the car, stick your left arm up to the elbow into the works, and feel blindly for the bolts that hold the valve in. Never was able to disconntect the wires that connect to it from the bottom, could have from the top after removing another AC pipe, but I was able to rotate the valve and see that it was perfectly clean inside so I just put it back.

Oh well.

·
Registered
997 Posts
if a picture could be provided or if you could give us a very exact description of how its done thsi would be very helpful

i'll send 2 dollars to the first person to do writeup with pics on this topic!!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
if a picture could be provided or if you could give us a very exact description of how its done thsi would be very helpful

i'll send 2 dollars to the first person to do writeup with pics on this topic!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Still confused on this one. I have a seriously low idle with occasional stalls. I also have Stage 2 cams and the lope is intensified by the low idle. Sitting at a stop light
is miserable with car shaking the whole time sounding like it is going to stall; and
sometimes it does. I am desperate to fix it. I think there are many other Jetters who have the same problem. If someone could please post the specifics on where this valve is, it would help allot of folks out. Thanx.

·
Registered
997 Posts
anything yet!?????????????

i would REALLY appreciate a pic of this part or an explanation as to where to spray the degreaser.....PLEASE hepl if you can, i dont know how much more i can take of this terrible idle!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have yet another idea of what it may be. I had the stall issues and rough idle with my S2...so I took it to my dealer who is very cool. The service dept. manager looked up my car in the computer for any service listings on the issue...and one showed up
. The base idle of the cars ECU was set so low that it was causeing the car to basicly choke as the engine was trying to reach the low idle. The dealer did a reset with a higher base idle setting and it has worked liked glass ever since...and I have a Diablo
chip now that has the idle set just under 1000rpm and it runs even better...just a thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts