1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some rims from Tire Rack. Kazera KZ-A

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp?...;filterSpecial=

4x108, 17x7.5

If you look at that picture (5 lug) the center ring where the cap screws on, is too small for the tire place to mount on their balancing machine. It barely fits on the rod alone, without the adaptor to make it centered and tight. They did the best they could, but at 60mph the front end shakes like a mofo.

I just bought new rims, cause my 4 SVT wheels got bent. Any suggestions on where I can get these balanced? I need these done by friday, since Im making a 1800 mile road trip starting on friday. I don't want to go back to the stock rims since they are bent, but they shake a lot less.

Anyone with some help to offer me in this situation? I already spent $2600 this week on rims, tires for my focus, tires for my sentra, and new tinting from my "fix it ticket" TPD so lovelingly handed me. I really dont want to shell out another $600-800 dollars for new rims AGAIN.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I normally go to Discount Tire (as I did today).

If anyone has any suggestions as to where someone else might be able to balance these, please let me know. Sears, Walmart, etc are closed right now so I'm really stressing the time frame I have to complete this in.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you can find a shop that has a flange plate for their balancer, they should be able to balance your wheels.

It can be an expensive piece, so many shops don't have one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They had one of those that fit my rims (not on the 4x108, but the other size on the rim - has 8 lug openings).

But, there is a small round "nut" that they screw on, that wedges the rim onto the "rod" before they put that piece on. Its what centers, and tightens the rims to the rod as it spins.

...... unless you are saying this peice does not require the use of that wedge?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like this:

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Not sure of what the problem is but I have balanced 100's of wheels and never had this problem, never. Not sure what the deal is on their machine, wierd.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never had this problem, never
Just got back from crusing around town stopping at every tire place I could think of.

Discount Tire
Walmart
Fletchers
Sears
Big-O

All of them said the same thing. Ive never seen a rim we couldn't balance, hehe. Big-O was the last place I stopped at that time, and they JUST BARELY got the lip of the cone to fit in the rim. Were talking like 1mm, 2mm AT BEST. But it was just enough for them to wedge it on tight, and spin it to get a good reading.

Before the rims would starting shaking hard at 55-60mph. Today I just took it up to 80mph on the way back, and I didnt notice an issue (not great roads, but still no noticable shaking like before).

I was to the point where I was going to stop at a machine shop next, and have them bore out the hole where the cone goes. Its only there for two screws to hold the center peice on.

Mad Props to the Tucson Big-O guys on thornydale for even trying! Now I can make my trip to Utah, w00t.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a little more detail for those who make a bad decision and buy these rims (or who falsely assume Tire Rack can assist you in getting rims that will allow basic maintenance be completed on)

In Figure 1, The opening of the X ring, is the size that is on the stock SVT rims (haven't measured it) when you have the "SVT Logo" center peice off. This allows the rim to be lined up at Arrow A of Figure 2 on the cone for balancing machine. Nice, snug fit.

The Y ring is the size of the opening on these Kazera rims. The extra space it taken up by a plate (part of the rim) that holds two screws for the center caps to bolt up to. This is a smaller diameter then Arrow B on Figure 2 is.

Big-O was just barely able to get it on the lip (where Arrow B is pointing to). And that was the smallest cone they had.

[BTW I know Figure 1 doesn't have holes for the lug nuts, but rest assured, my rims have them LOL]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I will get some better pictures later when it stops raining, and post them in the Rigz forum.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
glad you found someone with the proper equipment to mount them
I would not call how we did it "proper", just to get that clear right now. But it worked, and right now thats all I care about.

Discount Tire has never had a problem with balancing my other vehicles. 3 sets of rims I use on the Sentra, 1 from a Pathfinder, 1 from the Accent, and the stockers from the SVTF.

So now instead of getting free balancing from the location where I buy my tires, I get to pay $40 everytime, and have no garuntee with them since its not a rim they (Big-O) can not properly mount to balance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts