Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my research and asking everyone I know who knows cars and turbos, I learned something that could be helpful. Apparently, if you let the car idle for 15-20 seconds after stopping before you shut it off, it allows the turbo to spool down quite a bit while still getting an oil feed which increases the life of the bearings.

It makes sense to me.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I ALWAYS idle my car for 30 seconds before shutting it down. Keeps the oil from ****ing insid the turbo, extending the life of the turbocharger. I have thought about a turbo timer but really can't justify spending the money.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
It doesn't take 20 seconds for a turbo to spool down. Well, at least not a regular turbo. My aerocharger takes about 5 seconds to stop spinning when I shut it off from an idle. If I came in screaming hot, I could probably make it spin for 10-15 seconds. But that's a very low friction ball bearing design.

A conventional turbo probably only takes a second to stop when you shut it off.

What you're REALLY doing, is allowing the oil to circulate for a bit to cool the center cartridge. I really don't think it's a big deal on a modern water cooler turbo.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hate to comment on something I don't have but I did install a turbo timer and I have done research on them...you actually need more than 30sec depending on how hard you just drove. You need to keep the oil cycling through like P said, but you're still going to have HOT oil after only 30 sec. if you were just driving a bunch. His turbo timer had a setting that automatically raises the time it holds the car on in relation to how the car is being ran. You can watch his time go up & down as he drives...the lowest it goes is 30secs...& would raise when he get's on it...it usually is around 1:30 unless he just caught the light by my house & had to sit there a min. Before that he was told by other Eclipse owners to sit at least a min...or just let the song you're listening to finish
It can't hurt to sit a little longer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts