Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
FC and BBK make TB's...is that what you are asking?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
FC and BBK make TB's...is that what you are asking?
<hr></blockquote>

No no no, individual throttle bodies. Like this

·
Registered
397 Posts
i don't think it woudl be possible to use the stock intake manifold with idividual t/bs, but there is a european company that makes then along with carbs for our engine, but i was told by them that there engines can only be used in the rear wheel drive caterhams they put them in, but some of the parts are probably interchangeable

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: baconzx3 ]</p>

·
Registered
803 Posts
Warern from KKM did that. It's 4 weber carbs. He said it made awesoem power but they are still Weber carbs taht need adjusted ALL THE TIME. There was alos a fitment issue with the filter being right against the firewall.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I looked into this myself a while back just to see if would be feasible. There are two main problems.

1) - the engine is quite far back in the engine bay in the Focus. Unless you are willing to get rid of the A/C line that run along the top of the firewall, your total induction length will be very short. This is not good for usable torque.

2) - the factory engine management system will be thrown in the trash as MAF based systems cannot be adapted to individual throttle bodies unless you run a large plenum and a snorkle. The plenum, without huge testing and development can negate a lot of the work that you have put into your shiny new throttle bodies.

This is the way to go for good power. Mr. Zetecinside has some excellent details about throttle bodies at ZetecInisde as Michael indicated. Also. Jenvey in England has a lot info on this sort of induction system.

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: teamDFL ]</p>

·
Registered
164 Posts
i looked on the zetecinside site... i dont see any air filters on there? whats the deal with that?

-j

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skinee J:
i looked on the zetecinside site... i dont see any air filters on there? whats the deal with that?

-j
<hr></blockquote>

There's the filters.

Air filters are actually a big draw of horsepower. Most if not all pro drag racers don't use them.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I plan on running individual throttles on my spi when I eventually turbo it. I was thinking of making a vw style manifold that curves up and lays parallel to the valve cover with the plenum on the end of it. What do you guys think? I really don't know if I should bother since I'm going to turbo it but It would be a fun project and it would also be very unique.
Something like the pic below but with four throttles at the end of the runners.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by noresull:

Air filters are actually a big draw of horsepower. Most if not all pro drag racers don't use them.
<hr></blockquote>

Hate to disagree with you, but that is simply ont true anymore. Drag racers don't run them because back fires through the intake can set them on fire. Modern filter technology is such that they will not restrict horsepower in any way if sized properly and kept clean. However, as I stated before, the problem with the Focus is sizing them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by teamDFL:
I looked into this myself a while back just to see if would be feasible.

1) - the engine is quite far back in the engine bay in the Focus. Unless you are willing to get rid of the A/C line that run along the top of the firewall, your total induction length will be very short. This is not good for usable torque.
<hr></blockquote>

Time to rotate the engine forward on its axis.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I was looking at doing this so I might have a good FSP autocross car. More weight on the nose is not in the winning strategy!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
didn't FC make an intake manifold for 2 t/b's? can't the pectel handle that as well? i believe that is what FC had on one of their cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts