Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the new infiniti fx45 today and the first thing that came to mind was a 1983 AMC Eagle.
Am I wrong?

Then, when I got home I saw the Infiniti Triant on TV. I immediately thought one thing: Gremlin.

Am I crazy or does anyone else agree?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Disagree....There really aren't that many ways to design a wagon.

HOWEVER...Kudos to you for noticing that AMC and the cars they chose to build were the "pioneers" in this particular niche.

The AMC Spirit and Eagle had 4wd variants of hatchbacks and wagons.

Crossovers aren't a new concept, but an evolution of what these cars were.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Actually, I think the Nissan Murano looks more like a Gremlin than the Triant. That said, I really like the Murano, even if it does look like a postmodern Gremlin.

Ed

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Originally posted by Chris MC:
dude wheres the "Merlin"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Marlin" ?

...Made in 1965 and 66 on the Rambler American chassis, and in 1967 on the Ambassador chassis. Very similar in design to the original Dodge Charger.

[ 05-19-2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Auto-X-ZTS ]

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
<waits for NationWideClyde's response...>

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Originally posted by Auto-X-ZTS:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Chris MC:
dude wheres the "Merlin"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Marlin" ?

...Made in 1965 and 66 on the Rambler American chassis, and in 1967 on the Ambassador chassis. Very similar in design to the original Dodge Charger.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Chrysler Crossfire

·
Registered
86 Posts
No the Merlin was a station wagon design, i dated a girl who had one. biggest POS i have ever seen. Maybe merlin wasn't the name, but i know for sure it was an AMC product.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by Jared:
<waits for NationWideClyde's response...>

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, too cool. I haven't even been that active on the 'Jet lately, yet people remember me as one of the resident Richard Teague fans (AMC VP of Styling '63-'83).

Yep, still on here, yep, still looking for a nice early Pacer or a '78 Gremlin.

I'm convinced the people at Nissan/Infiniti have been doing a LOT of homework in the old AMC archives Renault toted along with them (Renault owned AMC from '79 to '87). This all started with Renault, though- the reverse-angle C-pillar found on Gremlin/'70 Rebel & '71-'73 Matador 2-dr/AMX GT concept popped up on a whole slew of late '90's Renault designs from the Avantime through the new Megane (which, incidentally, is the platform for the next Sentra). By the way, as far as a reverse-angle rear pillar is concerned, Nissan really nailed it with the Murano. The Murano has one of the most elegantly contoured rear 3/4 views I've ever seen on a production vehicle (no wonder Lancia ripped off the Murano wholesale for their latest GT concept...)

Now, if you want to go WAY back in AMC history regarding the reverse-angle C-pillar, that's traceable straight to the 1950's Nashes! The new Nissan Pathfinder Armada references quite strongly the C-pillar and dipped roofline of '50's AMC larger wagons, like, say a 1958 Rambler Ambassador. Of course, AMC's rationale for it was of course cost-savings; the odd roofline meant they could use the same roof stamping for both sedans and wagons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts