Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys running this intake? It looks like it could yeild some good gains,and also the idea of putting the cone in the box,compared to the aem cai where the filter gets dirty quick and people have had problems with there filter getting wet.

Ingen intake gen III

[ 10-06-2002, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Infra-red 2001 ZX3 ]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
[ 10-06-2002, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Infra-red 2001 ZX3 ]

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I want to know others opinion as well. The bottom part of the box seems to be open which means it's going to suck some hot air. Correct me if I'm wrong. This seems to have more look than power compared to AEM, Volant or K&N FIPK. But, let's hear what Injen users say

=dRe=

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by YelloZX3SA:
injen intakes are always looks over power...just the way it is.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not always, they make the best intake for the new celica gt-s'

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by aha:
The bottom part of the box seems to be open which means it's going to suck some hot air.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This intake uses the bottom of the stock air box, so it can be used with standard or adapted to SVT snorkel. I am interested too in performance gains. Any dynos?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by PhocusZX3:
How could this be worse than just a cone filter "chillin" under the hood?? The box makes an attempt at keeping the hot air out. Sure metal isn't exactly the BEST material to keep the heat out, but it is better than the classic "filter on a stick" intake.

I'd like to see some dyno numbers if anyone has some. I am considering purchasing one and hacking it apart so I can run a larger MAF meter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Putting a box around a cone filter does absolutely nothing, why go to a cone filter in the first place? The cone is good for surface area at the end of a pipe, the best for surface area inside a box is a panel filter. Putting a box around a cone will restrict the flow into it, and essentially make it less effective. I too wouldnt mind seeing an unbiased dyno.

[ 10-06-2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: ruggedman ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by Giraffe_hauler:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by aha:
The bottom part of the box seems to be open which means it's going to suck some hot air.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This intake uses the bottom of the stock air box, so it can be used with standard or adapted to SVT snorkel. I am interested too in performance gains. Any dynos?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's a cone in a box, which is worse than a cone just chillen under the hood IMO. It's similar to the volant most likely in terms of design/gains.

[ 10-06-2002, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: ruggedman ]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
How could this be worse than just a cone filter "chillin" under the hood?? The box makes an attempt at keeping the hot air out. Sure metal isn't exactly the BEST material to keep the heat out, but it is better than the classic "filter on a stick" intake.

I'd like to see some dyno numbers if anyone has some. I am considering purchasing one and hacking it apart so I can run a larger MAF meter.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As far as I know, WRC's use cone in a box (they have huge boxes though).

I also use cone in a sealed box with a direct front intake.

It seems to help as long as the box is big enough.Otherwise, low rpm's are a pain in the A**. Especially the launches...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Alright, let me settle the score on this guys. I just happened to respond to Freddy's (YellowFo_us) post the fastest when they needed a car for a fitup, so I lucked out and got one for free. All I have is the butt-dyno to go on, but there is a noticable difference with the Ingen. Off the line it's more sensitive to the throttle, and it seems to add midrange power as well. I'm really satisfied with the quality of workmanship they do as well. It's not made overseas somewhere, they made it right then and there. It's the kind of intake I was looking, for it adds power and a little bling under the hood. Not only that, but you keep the bottom of your air box, so you can make it a hybrid of larger diameter tubing and snokels leading into the bottom of the airbox or resonator. I asked the guys at Injen and asked why they no longer make a low drawing intake like they used to, they told me that after several attempts testing and dynoing different configurations that this current design was the most efficient and Carb legal way to design the unit. So at the very least check one out and when I get the thing dynoed I'll post. Hope I was of help here.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
How does improve airflow? This system appears to still use the stock snorkle and just substitutes a cone filter instead of a panel.

The metal box design is stupid, metal will retain and radiate heat once it gets warm, leaving you to suck in warmer air on those nice hot days, not much better then a cone on a stick.

It doesent have a cutout in the top of the box like the volant so there will be no advantage once you get moving.

So lets summarize:
- doesent get more air into airbox
- uses metal cover which will soak up and radiate heat
- uses cone filter which provides little to no benifit over a panel filter in an enclosed airbox
- has no mechanism to take advantage of cone filter by opening up airbox

In short, its crap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok let me try to help!

I had this exact set-up, actually both set-up the generation II and the Generation III. The ingen product are alot of show. I was dynoed at 118 WHP / 126 ft/lbs with a fried clutch and the following mods: (i sure i would hane put down more if it was not for the clutch)

65mm TB
Jba shorty / Pacesetter cat back/ Superchip / Findanza cam gears/ Ingen III / SVT intake snorkle / UDP's /

I have since switched to the volant with a 70mm MAF, SVT snorkle and secondary intake port extended behind headlights. No dyno as of yet, also with a new centerforce clutch. (also added Bosal/Bosal flex/highflow cat/ Fire wires and coil/stage one cams

But what i can tell you about the ingen was it did work great, much better then the filter on a stick, the filter stayed cleaner, and just in term of engeneering cold air would be more suseptable to the filter then the old design. It is pricey, but it also looks very nice in the engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh yhea the volume is increased, the top portion of the new box is larger then the old box, increaseing total filtrate surface area.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm a little fuzzy on how this intake is assembled. The cone filter actually resides in the replacement air box? Then what is that short red 90 degree piece of tubing for?

As some of you have explained your stock snorkel mates with the new airbox and that's where the intake charge enters?

BTW, thanks for all the info posted on this so far.

_michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
The red tube goes from the TB to the end of the MAF side of the intake. I used my stock plastic tubing and cut it and used a silicone hose coupling.

And all this crap about aluminum containing heat etc. Plastic i an insulator for heat, aluminum of metal for that matter has better heat transfer capabilities. Ingen did a study look on the website, they measured the intake charges of Plastic tubing and aluminum tubing and found minimal to no difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts